Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The UEFA nations league is a tournament that UEFA came up with to get more money from rubes like us to replace friendly games and encourage less teams to play the system by scheduling games against clowns like San Marino and Luxembourg. Each nation in UEFA has been set in to one of 4 groups, which are dubbed Leagues A, B, C and D. In turn, each league has a set of groups, like World Cup or Euro qualifying.

The interesting part is that nations will get promoted and relegated between these leagues. The losers of each group go a league down, and the winners of each group go a league up. Theres some sort of tournament at the end for the League A winners and that feeds in to Euro qualifying but I'm not exactly sure how it goes down. Anywhere here are the Leagues:

League A:

League B:

League C:

League D:

You can look up all the subgroups and the rest of this poo poo on WIKIPEDIA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Nations_League

Anyway some poo poo matches were played yesterday and Denmark sent a bunch of Futsal players so it's not looking like the big lads are taking this competition too seriously. This will evolve over time I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/Cymru/status/1037794108708929536

https://twitter.com/Cymru/status/1037780358513782784

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Idk what this is but I heard that It's Coming Home

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm all for nations league, as i said in the other thread its more interesting than friendly matches and it makes seedings feel more intuitive and fair

Still, gently caress uefa always and forever of course

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gigi Galli posted:

The losers of each group go a league down, and the winners of each group go a league up. Theres some sort of tournament at the end for the League A winners and that feeds in to Euro qualifying but I'm not exactly sure how it goes down.

oh no jim that would work and not involve drawing a big chart centered around a pyramid with an eye on it

the winners of the four league A groups will play semis and then a final, which you do get a trophy for

20 teams will qualify for the Euros based on the normal route (10 groups, 2 go through)

this is then followed by four separate four-team playoffs from the top four non-qualified teams in each Nations League group for the final places - the implications of this are that all of the league A and likely most of the league B teams are guaranteed to be in a qualification playoff even if they go full Holland and also that one of the League D teams is guaranteed a place at Euro 2020 and therefore the Faroes are going to qualify for a major tournament before Scotland do

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

We're still insanely bad :thumbsup:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

get this: shitaly

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

get this: shitaly

checks out op

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Fair result, both these teams will get bummed by Ronald and Friends.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Hasn't Ronald decided to take some time off from the national team, just long enough to miss this joke tournament?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

He's not with the team during this break so he won't play against Italy, not sure about after

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Gigi Galli posted:

We're still insanely bad :thumbsup:

I'm not sure that the penalty for Italy was actually a penalty

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

fat gay nonce posted:

It wasn't.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

fat gay nonce posted:

A German referee biased towards Italians in a game against Poland. Shocking.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hazard scored an incredible goal against Scotland today.

https://twitter.com/ChelseaDyl/status/1038154098028294144?s=20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
League D Pot 4 looks pretty incredible

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ireland suck rear end and we really shouldn’t have any players in the EPL aside from Seamus Coleman. Everyone else is terrible

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Danes are running scared. Kept delaying Wales flights out and have closed the airport the team was due to land at. Now looking at a 1am arrival and then a bus trip ahead of a 5pm game.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
congrats to harry kane on winning the golden boob trophy,

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol that Spanish defending

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

That's a great pass from Shaw but loving hell someone stick a boot in Spain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol that English defending

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
lol at Luke Shaw jogging slowly back after getting caught out.

Gary will be fuming when he sees that.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Southgate hasn't learned that you can't play two midfield runners (Alli/Lingard) with just one holding against a team like Spain.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm swiss and Switzerland beat Iceland 6-0 lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is boring so I started reading the en thread about the goon who tried to walk across America and failed 15 miles in

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jose posted:

This is boring so I started reading the en thread about the goon who tried to walk across America and failed 15 miles in

Was that the one from a few years back where he decided to do it with 0 training or preparation and got from like, one side of San Francisco to another?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah that one. He collapsed because all he ate for 3 days was a handful of nuts and raisins

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't wait till England leave the EU and are kicked out of UEFA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Here is the thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Excellent

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
England bad who knew

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

oliwan posted:

England bad who knew

Big Sam knew.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
secret agent Gomez is on the job

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

oliwan posted:

I'm swiss and Switzerland beat Iceland 6-0 lmao

I watched this. Iceland are poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The bigger they are...

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
rip Luke Shaw you stopped eating double cheeseburgers and then you died

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This second half has been sad for England so far, have they even had the ball on Spain's side of the pitch?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lmao what a poo poo call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

paddyboat posted:

rip Luke Shaw you stopped eating double cheeseburgers and then you died

Dude has some poo poo luck.