Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The AZ5 button in the American nuclear power plant just launches a drone strike on a Middle Eastern country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why can't we just build the fusion reactors from Simcity 2000?? They always seemed like a good choice

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Jfc why would you ever think it'd be a good idea to jump in eastern seaboard city water? All that infrastructure is over a hundred years old for real. Nobody had EVER replaced it and it'll take decades to rip it out and replace.
A few years ago some Philly city workers uncovered some intact wooden water mains from over 200 years ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Philadelphia's mayor Kenney was asked about people swimming boating and tubing in our new flood-created poo poo canal.

He said, "Just don't do stupid crap"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

should probably instantly solve all problems with funding for it by removing the income cap, imho

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

actionjackson posted:

what is the precise reason?

All the decisive, quick-thinking, active people of the World jumped in their cars and drove off into various floods and got washed away and killed and all that's left are us, the slug-bodied and feeble-brained who, when contemplating what to do about climate change, eventually come up with "Maybe let's go to Taco Bell?"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

smug jeebus posted:

What does this mean for my almonds?

Alfalfa is way worse water wise and no one cares. It's always almonds that are vilified.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Oh almonds are also bad

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

local weather guy breaks down the storm for the KC area

https://fox4kc.com/weather/weather-blog/joes-weather-blog-the-historic-storm-departs-thu-12-16/

this made me lol at the end

lol

if you smelled smoke last night that was from the brush fires in central KS

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

TehSaurus posted:

So you say. I say Jesus put them here and who are you to argue with the Lord?!?!

I want a painting of Old West gunslinger Jesus riding a dinosaur bringing tumbleweeds to a rundown mining town

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

California has had a real momentum behind a lot of state activities: is there any effort happening to force utilities to bury power lines so they can't start fires or be knocked down by snow/wind or any of the other problems that buried power lines would solve?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm a deer centrist because I think they are cute and also that they should be hunted mercilessly

I'm a deer leftist because I believe the government should pay people to hunt deer mercilessly and then the deer meat should be used in the preparation of nutritious, filling meals which would be made available to anybody

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

v excited to see what else enters my lexicon by 2023

i'm guessing "rogue dust event"

Temporary wind effusion
Unexpected fire surplus
Unplanned water

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

reddit sounds fuckin annoying

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

The beach seems like a tragically ironic place to die. It should be fun times

Not a big Saving Private Ryan fan I see

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yeah, friday night/saturday is the actual forecast from nws, but with a lot of uncertainty still

that account posts insane model predictions, but that one has been popping up for nearly a week, so,

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm convinced a lot of municipalities get kickbacks from body repair shops.

I know of a road that goes down a very long and steep hill on which the speed limit decreases from 45 at the top to 35 in the middle to 25 at the bottom. Local cops love to hide at the bottom looking for a quick victim. The road is arrow straight and not running past any houses. There's no reason for the speed limit to go down like that. The conspiracy theory is that the whole thing is the result of an unholy union between the police, the local government, and local brake shops.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've been wondering this for like 10-15 years: if a snowstorm is coming could you just cover your car in a tarp? And then bam the next day you simply rip off the tarp and then there's your car with no snow on it. Why don't people do this? Why don't I do this?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Anything heavy enough to stay on the car without needing to be secured (like a car cover) will scratch the hell out of your paint, and then you'll really scratch the hell out of your paint when you try to drag it off with all that snow on top.

They actually do make some products specifically for this purpose but they're all as-seen-on-TV kind of poo poo and they're basically just car covers and almost as inconvenient to use.

You really think a regular blue tarp will scratch the hell out of your car??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just mean like how? Physically how?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

You are going to be dragging every bit of dust and debris on your car across the paint surface with several inches of snow pushing down on it. People have hosed up classic cars by leaving them under tarps for a few years and literally rubbing away the paint in spots where the tarp was blowing around. There's a reason real car covers secure in a billion different spots so they can't move at all.

But what I'm saying is that you put the tarp on your car the night before the snow happens. Then 3-8 inches come down. Then you just rip the tarp off

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The tarp is on your car for like 12 hours

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

because the tarp holding 8" of snow across a roughly 6' x 20' surface weighs north of 1500 lbs, is why

Well this is a good reason

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

blatman posted:

at least the tarp plan is better than pouring hot water on your windshield to get the frost off

You just have to stock up on the bottled boiling water

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Koirhor posted:

rip the tarp off like a fancy waiter doing the tablecloth trick and then all the snow is back on the car

This would be awful

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I have concrete memories of the blizzard of '96, I wish we'd had the tarp trick then

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

what if we assume a perfectly frictionless tarp and a perfectly spherical car

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Computer, play Gummo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Wait so if the main problem with the tarp plan is the weight of the snow, why not brine the tarp??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

I really enjoyed tarpchat, thank u everyone. I worked 23 hours yesterday and 20 the day before and I needed a laugh :3:

Sometimes people just need the tarp ripped off their preconceived notions of the possible.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So... it is a thing you can do?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Holy poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

TACD posted:

can't believe cspam would sell out to Big Tarp like this

I will never be ashamed of my love and affection for the noble tarp, one of humanity's most useful inventions

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Just start selling the naming rights to corporations.

"The pets.com hurricane leveled my house and killed my family."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

Petition to rename 'hurricane season' to Toyatathon

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jabronie posted:

thread is anti house and pro tarp

You can make a house out of a tarp have you ever heard of a refugee camp??

Gonna be a lot of them if every summer is the hottest summer ever and every winter is the coldest winter ever and every fire is the greatest inferno ever and every hurricane and tornado is the most destructive ever and every flood is the highest flood ever and every drought is the dryest ever and every snowfall is deep and every heat wave is severe and every rainfall is torrential and every wind gust is the most blustery ever

Gonna need lots of tarps

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Tarp o' the mornin to ye

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This thread has poisoned my mind so thoroughly that I read "topamax" as "tarpomax". Keep on keeping on, weather thread!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tarpogenesis

Like bombogenesis, but tarps

A tarp cyclone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://www.inquirer.com/news/snow-squall-winter-warning-philadelphia-weather-20220219.html

I don't remember ever hearing the phrase "snow squall" before