Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I’m sure the deputy AG said it was on the table, but the chances of California actually dragging pg&e into court on murder charges are hilariously low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Apparently there was a rounding error and the hourly average was still 116, but I'm sure we will get there soon!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Maybe the nws seattle twitter person is just crackpinged beyond belief

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Everyone else is just walking through it, so I figure he's probably doing a little better.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

bowser posted:

lol (lmao).
jesus Christ this country is beyond stupid

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

can someone repost the bo burnham weather tiktok i've been looking for it for like a day and i know one of you degenerates has it saved

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

There will also be another one...Tuesday? Seems bad.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I'm not loving around and waiting this time. PNW isn't Minnesota. Our infrastructure is going to be all hosed up at that temperature. I'm just going to assume I'm having a power outage in freezing weather and plan around that.
I would absolutely plan for that, but we did get down to 0 in 2013 without much drama. It seems here the ice storms are more of an issue than our infrastructure being unable to function in the cold.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

pissinthewind posted:

im excited for it to be really really loving cold, not really, I hope it at least snows. But with temps that low we likely won't get much precipitation huh?
The super cold poo poo comes right after the warmer days that will bring some snow. Anyones guess as to how much. Hopefully it’s 2 feet and society breaks down.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

Even more crazy eh? drat.
I think equally crazy. The coast range is a good place to get yourself killed if you have no clue what you’re doing.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

e: and people treat ice like it’s the fuckin Babadook and that the PNW has a monopoly on the natural phenomena of water freezing
I don't know, if push came to shove I'm sure I could figure it out, but as it stands I just don't drive on the 2 days where that's an issue.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Lots of posts in the weather thread, RIP Texas. Oh, no, everyone is just tarpin' around.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

It snowed a little in Portland. We did not prepare with enough tarps, some trees fell over, and the freeway from the west side suburbs into the city was closed for most of the day.

:rubby:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

NOAA wrote an article on them so I’m gonna keep pretending they are real

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

at least your lungs were free of pests
if anything, it prepared them for covid

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Tempora Mutantur posted:

looking forward to heat enough to ground flights in Phoenix because no one has done the math on various planes flying through air hotter than ~123.8F

it would be hilarious if Boeing just fucks up again and "whoops yeah uh sorry airlines, you guys all have to keep any MAX flights grounded, we only calculated up to 121.9F."
This one isn't too difficult. Just demolish some neighborhoods and build longer runways.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

See? Snow in June, this climate change deal isn't so bad after all!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

thanks! I understand what a wet bulb is, but when I’ve talked to people about it the first question is usually something like “so what’s the dangerous temperature” or “how do I know when we are approaching those conditions.” So the red and black bands on the chart are conditions wherein you would be unable to cool down without A/C or another cooling source, even in the shade? The conditions where a person could not survive outdoors, even at rest? I live in Louisiana and have a lot of family who work outside- could they look up the temp and humidity in their location, and use this chart to determine if conditions are dangerous?
There are some caveats to it. It assumes clear skies and is for hiking. I don't think the black is "you're going to die for being outside" but definitely a "don't do physical activity outside" area.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Love posting extreme single models. This is like finding the one shittiest yelp review of a restaurant and running with it.
Heat Dome

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I appreciate what you're trying to do here wrt to models SirPablo, but really we just enjoy shitposting extreme runs from twitter and thinking, "huh that would be crazy" and then waiting a week to see if some weather person on twitter tells it's actually going to happen.

Simple pleasures, my friend.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

England, known for it's low humidity and lack of moisture.

But seriously, if you don't experience anything like this heat normally and have no real mitigations for it you're gonna have a hard time.
It’s not unheard of for moist places to be drier than normal when it gets really hot, so I think it’s a fair question.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Pablo now getting on the extreme heat model posting. We broke him.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Bob Socko posted:

Today's the day things may start to get wild in the Pacific Northwest, so stay tuned. We've had a pretty cold and wet year so far, so I hope we don't have the awful forest fires like we did the past two years.
It's just like a dry year except there is more grass and stuff in the forests to dry out and eventually catch on fire.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

thank you for this valuable service, sirpablo

i knew you'd come around

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

dumping rail everywhere? That's a storm I can get behind

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The only emergency supplies one needs to keep around are tarps.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Well everyone was just complaining about how dry France looked on the satellite images.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

CODChimera posted:

hurricane season is soon right?
the Atlantic is like goku powering up the spirit bomb for one big mega hypercane

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Stereotype posted:

i love the chemical safety board youtube videos the best. they do a super in depth analysis of the processes and equipment used to do various dangerous industrial scale chemical reactions and why they lead to some massive disaster that caused numerous injuries and fatalities and tens of millions of dollars of damage, and then always finish being like "these industries should be more careful in the future" and they just continue doing the same dumb poo poo because no one is forcing them to fix anything
the best part is that the incidents are never caused by novel hazards or anything. It's always people disregarding poo poo like making hot work plans in tanks that may or may not be full of highly flammable chemical vapors and then being utterly shocked when a completely obvious source of chemicals fills the tank with nasty poo poo and it explodes.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

but where are the hurricanes?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

top off the bean stockpiles my friends

and get some tarps

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

National Weather Service has Redding at 114 °F Tuesday.

The modeling crisis is real, but day‐ahead forecasts aren’t that bad.
Not to defend models experiencing crisisness, but I believe.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I just cannot comprehend a flood that takes 3 months to recede. That is so much water
idgi, can't we build a pipeline to arizona?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ians backwall blowing me out

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

everyone is up in arms about the modeling crisis not enough people are talking about the modelo crisis

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

lock it the gently caress in

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

jetz0r posted:

It's a weak cat 1. Lawn furniture will get toppled, branches will get broken off tress. Miami Beach will flood slightly more than it did the day before, and it will be forgotten in 2 days.

The building threatened will be decaying sheds, 60 year old mobile homes, and sand castles.
Looking at the track I think the biggest impact on this one might be inland flooding.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

that's very normal for the Lake Erie snow belt
yeah but nothing else is happening

let us post

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

err posted:

Chances I am able to fly out of SeaTac at 10pm? Probably low huh.
If the mess at Vancouver the other day is any indication, pretty low. Maybe SeaTac will fare better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPTt6MgsOt8

another portland snow classic