Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
neat looks like Hawaii is going to be obliterated by a hurricane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shima Honnou posted:

Is Hawaii still keeping the roni out? If they are, they won't be for much longer, it's coronacane time.

only 17 new cases today, but maybe everyone is going to have to cram into shelters and spread it everywhere

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s also a giant volcano that screws with winds there

the NOAA people have explicitly said that their models don't take into account the volcano because they don't think it makes a big difference, but they also are always horribly wrong and can't predict the hurricanes at all once they get close to this islands, so who knows.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
quick reminder that Honolulu has never, in recorded history, been hit by a hurricane. If one actually hits here it is going to be an unmitigated catastrophe.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Hawaii has areas that routinely get 20 inches of rain though. it isn’t very flat anywhere.

still we’ve had some bad flooding recently though, like 50 inches of rain.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
New track:

Much worse, you want it to hit big island, no one lives there and it is huge. If it hooks around then the populated islands are gonna get hammered

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
hurricane warning for Oahu lol. this is going to be a big one and no one is paying attention.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Whoops douglas didn't weaken at all and is going to destroy Kauai too, but not before destroying Honolulu

Watched a bunch of big military planes fly out yesterday which I'm sure is fine.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol nevermind hurricane cancelled.

I think "hawaii is very small and the pacific is very big" might be a good explanation

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
today was actually a super nice day, it's been terribly muggy and now it is nice and cool :)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Egg Moron posted:

https://twitter.com/GregDeeWeather/status/1289532783614816256?s=20

Lot of people talking poo poo about isaias being ragged or disorganized this morning but there is a pretty good bit of wide open warm water between Nassau and florida

yeah reorganization can happen over extremely short distances so any analysis based on current storm organization is very pedestrian and qualitiative.

florida could get hosed lol, it only has to happen once

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
don't worry everyone I have great news: hurricanes aren't real

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Unethically using prison labor to extort entire industries is what the warden in Shawshank Redemption was doing. He killed himself in the movie when people found out but in real life it is done in every prison in the nation and is strongly encouraged by major politicians.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I met a guy in my undergrad meteorology class who wanted to be the scientist on a hurricane plane. I wonder if he ever got to do it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

was he commissioned in NOAA Corp? dumb trivia but there’s actually 8 uniformed services of the federal government and one of them runs the NOAA planes and ships.

in GiP there’s a goon that is a flight engineer (iirc) for the NOAA P-3s he posts about hurricane missions occasionally in the GiP current events thread. he did the same job on P-3s in the USN I think?

I can't really remember, it was over a decade ago, but he was also a military guy so maybe. It was at the University of Wisconsin Madison

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Everyone was making fun of Hawaii when the volcano rolled over a few luxury vacation rentals and poor people's homes but the mainland is just entirely on fire for like 6 months of the year.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

An average surface fire on the forest floor might have flames reaching 1 meter in height and can reach temperatures of 800°C (1,472° F) or more. Under extreme conditions a fire can give off 10,000 kilowatts or more per meter of fire front.

a kilowatt will heat 1 kg of water 1C in around 4 seconds, but that's only like a quart of water. A hot tub is usually like 400 gallons, so 10MW of power will heat it 1C every ~1.6 seconds. Most pools are way bigger than that though, so the smallest pool I can find (8000gallons) would take like 30 seconds to get 1C hotter, and an olympic size swimming pool (660k gallons) would take about 44 minutes to get 1C hotter. Assuming that the temp starts at ~80C and get's uncomfortably/dangerously hot at ~105C you'd have between 12 minutes and 18 hours before the pool got too hot. I'm sure the reservoir is bigger than both of those.

Unless it's a small pool you're much more likely to die from smoke inhalation or because the air is hundreds to thousands of degrees.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

been kinda stressed about fires since this has been the driest summer since i moved to the west coast and it's bee crazy hot for like the past month, and now there's a big, very fast-moving fire right near where i work

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=765925304203162

I have a friend that lives there! They've been evacuating people all day apparently. Stay safe goon.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

at 105C the water would be steam and guaranteed to be more than "uncomfortable" unless it's in some sorta pressure vessel lmao you're fuckin with too many units here

oh whoops I got C and F mixed up there's too many units we need to get rid of some.

80F to 105F is 26.6C to 40.6C so instead of having 25 degrees of time you only get 14, so 7 minutes in a small pool before it getting too hot.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
We aren't even factoring in the emissivity of the pool or the nonlinear thermal absorption coefficients!

Also does the fire front even last 10 minutes? I assume everything burns pretty fast and then it's just embers which won't have as much heat output.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dustcat posted:

if there's photographic evidence anywhere of a pool's water level significantly lowered by a passing forest fire i would love to see that because it just doesn't make physical sense

forest fires are so hot that it splits the water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen and BOTH are explsoive

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the best way to survive a brush fire is to pee on it, thereby exerting your dominance over the fire

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The fire burned down a Home Depot. It would be cool if people could get as mad about climate change as they do about black people

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my friends are currently in escrow for their first home and it looks like that home might not exist anymore

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I remember learning about controlled burns in like grade school 20 years ago and am not surprised that it is still a massive issue that no one cares about.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The entire city of Central Point Oregon is being ordered to evacuate

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

all the hotels here in grants pass are filled up as is the fairgrounds with evacuees from phoenix, south medford and talent. meanwhile there's a 22000 acre uncontained fire a couple dozen miles to our south burning through forests where it's impossible to get fire equipment and it's absolutely not out of the question that it reaches here and that's ignoring any other fires that might spring up near here.

i don't even know where the central point evacuees can go that's anywhere near here.

also just heard on the scanner another possible new fire in white city. what.

oh no i have friends in white city :smith:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there are no safe places in hellworld. wherever you move will be a catastrophic disaster

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

nikosoft posted:

I've been to Madison about a dozen times and it's a super cute place, although I don't know how to ice skate and I don't want to be made fun of for this!!

lol I went to Madison once to visit my coworkers (I was the only remote team member), and they wanted to take me out to Mexican food for lunch since I said it was my favorite. We went to a fuckin Qdoba, lol, they were so proud and happy to share it with me

I lived in Madison for most of my life and there are (or were) legitimately good mexican restaurants all over so your co-workers were just dumb

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Radirot posted:

this is awesome and reminds me of the lake near me that was once the most polluted but has been restored drastically over the last decade and has seen a huge resurgence in wild life, especially bald eagles.

“gently caress bald eagles I want more money” -the people who control America

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
nowhere is safe from the weather you guys. fire tornadoes? just weather. cat 7 hurricanes? also weather don't worry about it. the future is looking bright i think *stares directly at sun*

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
*looking at 10 foot high flames shooting from entire neighborhood* looking bright fellas

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Luneshot posted:

realistically the great lakes are probably one of the best in-america options. relatively mild weather, but most importantly: water.

Yeah

https://www.wiscnews.com/wisconsind...c7fcea4cb2.html

Water is great

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
rains making the lake disastrously flood the river and wash out roads and houses is just weather. it's like saying it's cloudy. today it will be 75 degrees and tomorrow your house will be destroyed. weather.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah trees don't store carbon long term, just until they die and either burn or decompose. You could argue that deforestation breaks the zero-sum cycle since there are just less trees at any time storing carbon in them, but that's just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the staggering amount of toxic goop we pump out of the ground and set on fire

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
9 people burning to death in their homes sounds bad but that's how many people have been choking to death on their own lungs every 12 minutes for months

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Yeah in Hawaii they just burn it. They use the aluminum (which is actually profitable to recycle) to coerce some company to also take the glass, since we don't have much landfill space here, but I assume the bury it in California somewhere.

Recycling has always pretty much been a scam.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

dr_rat posted:

Update from tomorrow...

wow so presidential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
don't worry guys all the wildfires will stop because the trees will all die turning the entire planet into an uninhabitable desert