Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/martyjbahamonde/status/1038849452566618112

With the way these predictions are escalating, pretty soon we will have a permanent Jupiter-esque storm

El Niño, La Niña y El Diablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My old brigade commander is from NC and he was there for the recovery efforts in PR after Maria. Maybe we can pay him back once Florence destroys the carolinas :unsmith:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Goodbye Carolinas

I lie how it smashes into the carolinas and then veers back into the atlantic, it'll reform and go for round 2

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

if 99% of every hurricane has taught me anything its that by the time the storm actually hits the coast it'll probably weaken to a cat 2 and everyone will be like 'shouldnt have evacuated lol'

Oh totally, do this everyone

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saturated ground, 93 inches of rain, storm surge nothing to w worry about

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Big surprise that the unconstitutional component of the armed forces is strengthening Florence with satanic flyby rituals

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

are the carolinas dead yet>???

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jose posted:

hurricane helene

No one should be free from Guabancex wrath

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Remember guys, you get about half an hour of respite in the storm, use this time to pillage

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LOL I was there day 0 of the recovery efforts in PR for Maria we already knew the death toll was going to be in the hundreds 2 days after the hurricane hit, when we activated both of our mortuary affairs units and told them to get their MIRCS ready to go to the forensic institute ASAP.

The comms situation was so bad that we couldn't get the word out to the personnel to tell them that they were activated, they would come in to report at the unit to say they were fine and we would tell them to go back to their house, pack up all their uniforms and get ready to mobilize inside the island.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

big dong wanter posted:

If any goons get killed i call shotgun on their stuff

legally it belongs to lowtax now

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It's amazing, we can see people live stream their suicide attempts in real time what a time to be alive

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Link isn't working for me. Did they die?

Yes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No chasers are currently alive

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Florida, Georgia the Carolinas Christmas in October

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Hunk of roof hit Jim's truck and broke some glass he thought was indestructible. Water is rising. And he's blocked in.

Dead man streaming

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Feranon posted:

hmmmm something about this seems familiar

I bet they haven't checked the morgues yet.

And technically there weren't a whole lot of "missing" people in PR, The family knew where they were. 6 feet under or decomposing in the center of forensic sciences, its just that the government decided to not classify them as killed by the storm because they died from lack dialysis or something and not because a tree fell on them.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Oct 14, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I can’t believe Willa Rogers would try and destroy Mexico like this

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

When do we start measuring forest fires in categories and start naming them human names?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Socks4Hands posted:

is that a waterspout that came on shore?

yes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just make sure to have a grand old feast of everything thats on your fridge after the storm.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm half expecting my unit to involuntarily recall me into active duty if the poo poo hits the fan in the island again. I've been getting calls over the weekend asking me why I wasnt in the drill (I made up for those days months ago because I was moving out and just stating a new job in the mainland) and members of the section calling and texting me on how to set up an satellite aperture terminal that was instrumental in getting us back online quickly after Maria because it was the only thing you could set up in an hour that was immediately ready to start data and voice comms.

Now the thing is broken and no one in the unit but me knows how to cannibalize controlled substitute other equipment to get it working

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

According to my coworker here, trump is actually not all bad because he has personally decided to preemptively send 500 fema people to PR in advance of Dorian. I haven't bothered to check whether the basic FEMA thing is even true.

He also had his power restored more quickly after Maria because he happens to live right by the church where teump infamously threw the paper towels, and I guess they prepped that area in advance of the visit

So in conclusion, Puerto Rico is a land of contrasts

lol there were fema guys near our unit for Maria before the hurricane came in and didnt even know they were there till like a week after it hit. They were sitting on their asses basically doing jack poo poo. It wasn't till our operations major took the initiative to create a joint logistics operation center that things started to actually come in through the airport and transported to people in the area.

No joke we asked them what they've been doing and they said they were in the hotel waiting for instructions.

e- also even the poor peoples houses in PR tend to have cement structures, the problem is that they combine it with corrugated iron ceilings to save money. The increased surface area of the sheets and how they bind them together makes it something extremely easy to rip off with high intensity storms.

BUT, if you would take the same storm and dump at full strength into florida or any other gulf state you would see a whole lot of completely leveled homes instead of just ones without roofs. The vast majority of houses in the states are not built to withstand that sort of extreme weather and thank god its going to become a more common occurrence. Youve had it too good for too long

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Aug 28, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dorian a few days ago "Small compact storm probably smash into puerto rico and hispanola and disappear in the atlantic"

Dorian now "Growing massive probably going to head straight into florida as a cat 4 with nothing to stop it from getting bigger and stronger"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dorian just needs to curve a little more to the west and just destroy florida. Or just skim the entire east coast till it gets to NY

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hope you guys had the chance the visit the bahamas while they were still there

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol its going to ram into mar a lago and just keep going north from there

its amazing how the storm completely leveled the entire islands and the internet service is still going while for Maria the network in PR was already down before the storm even touched down

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

apparently disney cruise stranded 100 employees in the storm that they could have evac'd and they are currently in the eyewall.

Dying for Disney Cruise Profits

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

hope its not :evilbuddy:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

while I, in principle, agree, Puerto Rico's shows that these cat 5 storms have the potential for catastrophic loss of life. we'll see how the Bahamas fair, but it could be very bad. but a Florida landfall is less everyone dieing and more everyone being turbo hosed.

I was part of the recovery effort in PR and the actual hit of the hurricane didn't kill that many people. The complete collapse of the infrastructure is what caused the vast majority of deaths. I'm guessing its going to be similar to bahamas, and the death count will be mostly people in hospitals dying from lack of resources, people not being able to get their dialysis, insulin, getting sick, over exerting themselves, accidents, etc

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly the only thing I would have done differently from the last hurricane was to put trash bags inside the house on the windows that didn't have storm shutters. since water kept seeping in and I spent all night mopping. The windows are aluminum jalousie type with iron bars on the outside so its not like they would be damaged by debris and getting shutters on them wouldn't be practical since gently caress getting on a ladder to install them. Higher probability of me killing myself installing them than from the actual storm.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

have you tried sitting at the exact midpoint of all windows and just channeling a repulsor field? that seems like the easiest way, you are keeping your crystals charged right?

Dont have a bro, but you are always welcum in my house if you bring your own crystal

Heartcatch posted:

What are the chances that Cuba is going to score another political coup by sending a massive swarm of doctors over?

As if we would let them in

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Heartcatch posted:

Why? Do the Bahamas have a problem with Cuba?

Oh I thought you were talking about florida

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

Conditions deteriorating in Puerto Rico! Now more than 230,000 without power!

Oh wait, this is just the spontaneous failure of the power grid BEFORE the storm has even arrived.

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1288197020688297994?s=19

I'm sure it will all work out fine

This was yesterday and the director or whatever said that it was caused by terrorist and today they mentioned it was actually a tree

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Soon

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rynn posted:

I have a sinking feeling this is going to be a Cat 5

It will be essentially a cat five by the time it hits land

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We might see tropical storms forming in the atlantic next week, I got a feeling we might get hurricanes not long after that but who knows.

Last week we had a morning here that was 40 degrees and now we are getting 90s that feel like 102

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I remember the days when storm systems would form in like africa and slowly gather strength through the Atlantic and Caribbean instead now they form in the Caribbean or the gulf and wreck things anyways.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm just spitballin here but what did these people really expect when they knowingly decided to reside in a place called the plaguemine parish?

Its a darksouls as hell name, I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

cell towers are supposed to be good for 24 hours without grid power

if your fiber lines are all underground