Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I lust for Carolina death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

yea like looting stores in a situation like this is essentially a victimless crime, right? every single thing has already been inventoried and written off as a loss, and whatever survived would either be destroyed by the company, stolen by employees, or otherwise shuffled out of rotation and not sold

Depends on the store but if you're caught out in a survival situation then just loot without shame.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I mean yea obviously I'm not losing sleep over people shoplifting sneakers from foot locker in general even when there's not a storm but my understanding was basically that this makes literally no difference even to the giant evil corporations that own these stores

If someone looted the local Foot Locker down to the studs and sold everything online afterwards I doubt I would give even a single gently caress. And that's just on a regular day.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

flag is not doing so hot

Kinda looks like it's screaming.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Duluth, MN has the Richard I. Bong bridge.

Everyone in the state has smoked weed on that bridge.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spergin Morlock posted:

i can't watch that movie anymore after having seen the series. anthony michael hall was a better fit for the character

You shut your whore mouth!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I should move to New Orleans.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

it's going to happen so fast you won't even have time to react. if you're about to be hit there's going to be some noticeable build-up like static feeling, hair standing up, anything metal ringing, and maybe even tracers starting to come up from ground. but it's way too late then, just get ready.

but a car traveling on the road, with tires and such keeping it up is going to be less interesting of a target vs the metal stop sign you're passing. a blast of lightning 10 feet away is still not going to be an enjoyable experience, the air pressure from the sound alone will smash the windows and you'll be totally blinded and disoriented. keeping the car moving and on the road will be your primary problem.

When I was 16 I worked at a lumberyard and we had these huge metal canopies that we stored the lumber under to keep them from getting wet in the rain. Whenever it rained we had to take shelter in the store because the canopies would attract lightning. They were hit twice while I worked there and each time they rang like big bells and almost glowed.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

loving hell.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I remember when Penatubo popped off and astronauts in space said the whole Earth looked hazy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
All the damage sucks but it doesn't seem like all that many people have gotten hurt or killed.

Just an amazing and terrifying event.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bip Roberts posted:

remember the one dude in the us who died from the 2011 tsunami was someone who heard the tsunami warning and went to the beach to
watch it in Santa Cruz lol

People who don't respect the power of the ocean are just deeply weird and stupid.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pryor on Fire posted:

so we just add regular pacific tsunamis to the list of horrible things happening constanty

it’s wild that the news cycle has already moved on and nobody has heard from tonga itself, gotta be tons of deaths right?

Ehhhhhhh.... hard to say. I'm sure there'll be some but if you recall that video of the sound of the explosion, the guy filming it took about five seconds to realize what it meant and start shouting for everyone to head for the hills. Tongans have seen tsunami before and know where to go.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Aus/NZ and others in the neighborhood had better get the boats moving. Even if the airport isn't wrecked, you can't fly a jet into volcanic ash clouds.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Strange that you could have such a catastrophic explosion and have so few people end up getting hurt. Miracles happen, I guess.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm happy with the snow because at least it'll knock back the dry-rear end conditions that we had last summer.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Pussy Boss posted:

It can't compete with a blizzard, but we got 11 inches of rain on Saturday in Hawaii...

https://twitter.com/NaniWaialeale/status/1627412768277291008

I know there's been some water problems in Hawaii. Hopefully this helps?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Doesn't one family own something like 1/7th of all Canadian land?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Wait, isn't it winter in South America right now?

I have to work out in that poo poo tomorrow and Wednesday. Already told my gf where to find my will and other important paperwork.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gonna be loving wild when it's 85 and sunny during December in Minneapolis.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hot Boner.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
First day under the heat dome and it sucks poo poo but I'm glad that Missouri is getting it worse.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Same. Perfect football weather, though

Being on the field in this weather would be absolutely miserable

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Stay safe Florida goons

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Given how hot the water is I'm surprised it won't be worse.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

look just tell me if I’m gonna die or not. I feel like poo poo and and don’t want to go to this interview

The necessities of living in our capitalist hellscape means that you have to go even if you know you're going to die.

On the plus side, you might actually die. The alternative is being stranded in a hot Florida summer just after a hurricane came through so there's zero electricity, everything's flooded/destroyed, and it's 100 degrees with 80% humidity.

Frankly, I'd pray for death.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

sauer kraut posted:

Climate-proof Duluth being a small red island in a sea of purple is just :allears:

You get that nice cold breeze coming off Lake Superior so it rarely gets too uncomfortable in Duluth during the summer. However, during the winter that arctic wind whipping down hard out of Canada with nothing to get in its way until it hits the city means that you risk freezing your tits off if you step outside your door in January.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

NeonPunk posted:

As long folks built 8 feet or above they ought to be fine. Now let me look at the topographical map of Tampa...

Huh. That seems bad.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WaryWarren posted:

oh good thing we're not currently experiencing a dr...

Plus side of living in Minneapolis is that if my house gets flooded there's a good chance that I will have been murdered by the million other things that went wrong beforehand that made that possible.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Some of the prettiest countryside in the world. Idyllic Alpine valley sort of poo poo that Hitler used to flick his microweiner over. Berchtesgaden, where he had his chateau and all of the Big Nazis had houses, is just north of there.

I mean, I don't want to drat it by association, it's a beautiful area.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I always thought New Orleans got that hot every summer.

Must be like living in a sweatsock.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hurricane Franklin is approaching Cat 5 status already. It's going to get close before it moves into waters that aren't warm enough to sustain a storm like this though.

https://twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1696305531676241992?s=20

gently caress, that might destroy Bermuda.

Edit: Closer look says it's probably going to miss south.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RadiRoot posted:

come on Frank dont be shy. you get east Florida as Idalia gets the west

Have them crash together and then slam directly into Hilton Head.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Man being in the NOAA hurricane plane has to be the coolest job in history.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

If Idalia somehow kills DeSantis I swear to travel to Florida and make an entire drunken rear end of myself at his public memorial and get beat up by cops. :toxx:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

stealie72 posted:

There's a GiP goon that works in one. Sometimes he posts rad pictures from inside hurricanes.

Guy can walk into any bar in the world and get free drinks as long as he can keep telling cool stories and pulling jaw-dropping pic after jaw-dropping pic out of his phone.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

this part of Florida is just lined with little towns that look like this, I don't know how these places could possibly survive the predicted 10-15 foot wall of water

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That loving sociopathic fash piece of poo poo!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

rumors jim cantori has been spotted in wakulla county... it was fine posting with you goons :unsmigghh:

o7

Godspeed, goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

Looks like a lot of people are about to die, huh

Looks like most folks ran for it, but a lot of people are about to lose their security and livelihoods. idk what they're going to do afterwards, but I expect that in DeSantis' Florida they'll end up unhoused and brutalized.