Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Thoguh posted:

This was something that they had to announce. Remember last year in Florida when that sheriff was checking IDs at hurricane shelters to make sure there weren't any illegals?
https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/1040697877629157376

'except in the event of a serious public safety threat'

like maybe a massive hurricane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I've had good times in the applebees near montpelier hopefully that survives

The Applebee's is, sadly, safe except for like 50 stranded semis chilling out in the surrounding parking lots.

For perspective on the dam issue, I went by downtown checking on the back roads to Burlington around 11 this morning and there was already standing water up over the wheelwells of the abandoned cars. If that's without the dam open, lol welp gg

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Didn't get any worthwhile photos of actual flooding since Montpelier was a zoo of gawking flatlanders and the road closure patterns meant my dashcam was never actually pointed at the water, but I managed to get a couple on the west side of Barre.

Fields out around my place during the storm. This is normally a hand-wide dry stream bed at the bottom of a depression maybe a meter deep.

The mural on River St. by the playground, earlier this morning.

Looking down Granite St. towards the back way, by the highway department and Capital Candy, that lets you avoid city square. Lucky that power substation got decommissioned.

River St. from the other direction. No, that is not normally a dirt road.

e: Found one to snip. The Winooski from the steel bridge over Montpelier's Granite St., by the coop, a couple blocks before it reaches downtown. (Ignore the hosed timestamp, it drifts and I'm too lazy to reset it.)

For perspective, here's streetview from last September:

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Jul 11, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
With respect to Vermont, we would probably not have quite these problems if we knew 'levee' as anything but 'something Don McLean made up to rhyme'. Our idea of flood prevention is 'idk bro throw some gravel in the creekbed'.

Still a place where people can maybe react to climate, rather a place where climate doesn't happen.

e: like seriously, I was talking with the lady in the next flat when the water was coming up, and was like "hell this keeps up I'll have to drive down to the hardware store and buy up the sandbags they have for truck ballast"
"what no for that amount of money we could just get a backhoe and bail out that new pond we have"
"backhoe from where, bailing into where?"
"..."

My idea was probably just as loving stupid, honestly, given that there's no road to the hardware store that isn't 3 feet below the entirely flat riverbank. My point is that we've all been on cinematic mode so long that you're just watching us forget which button is 〇 and which is × when we bump up to easy mode.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 06:39 on Jul 13, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

blatman posted:

thats not true anymore, my surplus of testicles brought the average back up to 2

the Ball Curve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

i say swears online posted:

that's angela chao

angela, ciao