Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm kind of meh on defined seasons. It is good for awareness but always results in a lot of stupid semantics. Just like naming winter storms - gently caress off with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

They had to start naming winter storms after they ran out of icepocalypse/snowmageddon nicknames

It was an still entirely is driven by The Weather Channel. I'm sure you can guess their motive.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

One run, one model...

From calibrated ensemble data, there is a ~50% chance of 12"+ of snow in Denver. The range is huge though, with the IQR being 1 to 18" right now. As they say, "continue to monitor the forecast for updates".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Mixed feelings/thoughts on this. Poster certainly has a point. Those are also lower income/wealth areas, not just predominantly black. Many other areas also equally underserved that have different demographics. Radars are expensive, so makes sense to put them places where you have more people/higher density to get more for the funds. Where those radars were placed was decided over three decades ago.

There have been efforts/research in the past to have small "gap filling" radars, but that's infrastructure spending and we know how that's gone in America the past half century.

Edit: this...

https://twitter.com/SDBrownWX/status/1372979302929682445?s=20

SirPablo has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Mar 20, 2021

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm an expert AMA.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

spacemang_spliff posted:

Are the rumors about my local weather person true?

Worse.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Satellites are passive and observe radiation emitted by clouds. They only see the top, can't see within clouds.

Radars are active, transmitting pulses of energy that penetrate clouds. That energy gives information that allows you to infer the size/amount of precipitation and measure radial velocity. Radars also scan progressively higher into the clouds/storms, giving a sense of 3D structure.

Radar and satellite compliment each other and are both critical.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I don't care so much about one model upgrade. Ensemble data is what should be looked at. (And eventually the plan is for all NCEP models to meld into one unified ensemble system both for short and long range forecasting.)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Baseball size hail just means free batting practice.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Here's an idea - don't go outside.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Chasers suck

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Skippy McPants posted:

It's not even June.

Gonna be a bad year.

Edit: Oh dang, I guess this one is arson? lovely.

80-90% of wildfires are human caused. The only way nature gets them going is lightning.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

YOU GOT ME

That's pretty rare though. Probably more fire starts now from gender reveals than volcanoes during the past million years.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

the bitcoin of weed posted:

does "human caused" in California include lovely unmaintained utilities sparking in high winds and starting mystery fires, because that seems to happen a lot

Unless utility poles grow naturally, then yes.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Tornadoes? In eastern Colorado?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Is this the ball sweat thread?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Too hot to gently caress

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The avatars, much like earth, are loving with us.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Yea sounds not good...

https://twitter.com/majorajay/status/1406839124615696388?s=20

Watching the loop of this reminds me of Joplin, MO in that strong tornado developed in such little time.

https://twitter.com/BradyBGWX/status/1406831866649448448?s=20

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Luneshot posted:

...has the EAS ever been activated for excessive heat? I can certainly imagine it being activated for an event like that.

It doesn't look like it's on the list of the approved NWS codes.

Nope

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The state of Jefferson welcomes all.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Luneshot posted:

Also, apparently some people don’t trust the 06z or 18z runs?

That's old dumb thinking. People used to think that cause there was no new weather balloon data, the "off" runs were less accurate. To an extent, that was true decades ago. Now the difference is negligible. There is so much additional data that goes into models that the accuracy of the latest run vs the previous one is much larger than any difference between 00/12 and 06/18.

https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/longterm/

Smarter meteorologists use ensemble data and don't rely on a single deterministic run. Ensembles extend the forecast accuracy by 1-2 days.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The GFS and EPS ensemble mean of 850 mb temp anomalies is +15C in just five days. This isn't an issue with one model spitting out bad data. Normal for late June around the PacNW is 20-25C, so forecast is say 35C at 850. That mixes down to a surface temp of roughly 115-120F. That's right inline with the forecast inland temps (like Spokane). Of course it'll be cooler on the coast but all-time records definitely possible.

Even the NWS Spokane office is saying this is a Big Deal.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?new&prod=XXXAFDOTX&wfo=otx

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Tropical cyclone circulations impacting the West are not common, but they have happened. The remnant moisture intrusion happens yearly and typically triggers flood-inducing thunderstorms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Norbert_(2014)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Heat index is bullshit

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Look at Yuma, AZ or El Centro, CA.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol here in KC we're going to get our yearly 25 year storm tonight with 3-5 inches of rain.

not sure why it's called a 25 year storm since they happen more than once a year now but hey I don't make the rules, I just go outside and shut my house off from the sewer system because when we get more than 3 inches of rain the storm sewer system can't handle it and all that water goes into the city septic sewer system. I hear that's not supposed to happen but again, I don't make the rules.

It's a misnomer. A "hundred year" storm really one in a hundred, which is just the reciprocal of a 1% chance of happening any given year. So yes, you can have multiple 1% events happen in sequential years or even in the same year, especially with a non-stationary climate!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

spacemang_spliff posted:

right that makes sense but like a 3-5" rain is a lot more likely than 4% here

I mean maybe over the last century and a half it's accurate but they should probably readjust some poo poo

https://hdsc.nws.noaa.gov/hdsc/pfds/pfds_map_cont.html

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I wonder how often Seattle has been warmer than Phoenix, especially outside of winter.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Is this due to climate change?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

OK baizuo posted:

Oddly it's gonna be like 70-80 for a week here in Denver, I'm sure we'll be on the other side of things soon enough

Yea interesting dipole across NA.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Seattle is an insult to god and should not exist!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Homocow posted:

no this is just an anomaly like early and protracted hurricane seasons, prolific wildfires, mega droughts, mega floods, toxic algae blooms, drastic loss of biodiversity, melting glaciers, etc

it's all normal, get back to work

Attribution is really difficult to do right. But in another sense, all weather happens within a changing climate so it's all influenced by climate change.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Seattle is already within spitting distance of their all-time high of 103F and the hottest day isn't even until Monday. That record is going to get crushed.

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1408901455533068290?s=20

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1408910073343012864?s=20

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
110F is definitely in play for Seattle on Monday. Today is over performing.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
There's a 30% chance of 110F+ in Seattle Monday (based on current forecast, and today over performed).

Seattle has only been warmer than Phoenix three times in the summer months (Jun-Aug). Phoenix forecast high on Monday is 108F.

code:
            PHX  SEA
1967-06-18   81   82
1990-08-14   78   81
1998-07-22   89   90

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Raine posted:

if your piss is yellow and not clear, you aren't drinking enough water

drink more piss

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Your water should look like piss and your piss look like water. Why is this so hard.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Eventually everywhere will be like Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
That's raw though, there's usually a systematic bias in weather model surface outputs. Latest calibrated data for Monday has a median of 109F with an IQR 104-111, max range is 93 (lol) to 114 (also lol).