Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

The Nastier Nate posted:

Eventually we are just going to have to evacuate everyone that lives within 50 miles of the east coast

ultimately, climate is gonna bring the US down.

because our government is totally incapable of maintaining our infrastructure, nyc is still doing a ton of work to repair hurricane Sandy damage (from 2012!!). Next April they're gonna completely shut down a big subway tunnel for 15 months of repair, and this will paralyze a good portion of Brooklyn.

If we get another Sandy in the next 5 years all of the repairs they've done will be wiped out because they've done literally nothing in terms of damage prevention.

anyways I can imagine a scenario happening where an unlucky hurricane year basically wipes out the mass transit of most east coast cities for a decade, which would tank the economy big time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Agean90 posted:

The far west is gonna run out of water at some point, the inland south is gonna become inhospitable so that leaves... the midwest :getin:

the pro move is to move way up into vermont, make beer, drink syrup all day, play checkers with bernie sanders, etc

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

anonumos posted:

Charlotte goon checking in.

any word on flights out of charlotte? my sister's getting married on Saturday, and the entire groom's family is supposed to fly out of Charlotte on friday. It's gonna be a photo finish, I think

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

This climate poo poo is really bad. Luckily there's a US presidential election next year and if trump loses this will all get fixed really fast

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

twoday posted:

they did a fairly good job of building a basic sea wall in New York, good first step,

whaa?? literally nothing has been done since hurricane sandy (2012). There are a handful of assorted plans, but in no universe has new york built a sea wall

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

this is good and any amount of change is better than no change, but this only protects a few neighborhoods of staten island specifically and won't be finished until 2024. absolutely pitiful when another sandy could wipe out half of new york's subways on any given year, which would practically end the city.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Remember when Harvey completely flooded Houston and it was in the national news for maybe 24 hours before never being mentioned ever again?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lots of people are dying

Wonder if Trump will call the death tolls fake again, like he did for Puerto Rico

Super cool that whether or not the US president shows sympathy and/or gives some support depends fully on how white he imagines the population to be

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

looks like trump's been watching TV and just found out that lots of brown people live in the bahamas

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

This is the only Bahamas-related story on the front page of cnn right now lol

these people are going to get 0 support from the US.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Xaris posted:

there are still like some NY subway stations that didnt reopen after Hurricane Sandy and still lasting damage. i think one of the last ones finally did like last year, 7 years later, in the second richest state in the country lmao

Tl;DR: effortpost about the last big Hurricane Sandy subway tunnel repair

Yeah they just finished repairing one of the last tunnels. poo poo was crazy. The tunnel was essentially crumbling, but they couldn't just shut it down because hundreds of thousands of people used it to get to and from Manhattan every day. Shutting it down would send tens of thousands of riders to other subway lines, which would put them ridiculously over capacity - imagine waiting an hour to get into the subway every morning.

But the MTA said that shutting it down completely would mean they could finish repairs in one year, while doing nightly or weekend shutdowns would take three years, so ultimately the city decided on a full shutdown.

This caused real estate values along the line to drop, and less than one month after construction was meant to start Cuomo jumped in, halted it, and demanded an alternate plan. The shutdown had literally been discussed for 3 years and Cuomo didn't say a word until less than a month before it started.

I can't even express how much press this shutdown got for years. Everyone was talking about it. Personally, I joined Transportation Alternatives and helped start a group that helped people without a lot of bike experience figure out how to bike from Brooklyn to Manhattan. We ran group rides to help train people and get them comfortable, because we expected literally thousands of people to have no other option soon. A bunch of techie startups formed and created uber pool-like services just to deal with this specific tunnel shutdown. People moved to new neighborhoods. Some people left the city completely!

Ultimately they decided to do a nights and weekends partial shutdown, but also decided to speed it up by making it shittier. The wires and cables that send signals through the tunnel used to be housed in a protective concrete sheath, and this sheath was all crumbled due to salt water from Sandy. The original plan was to tear it all out and rebuild it. The new plan was to leave the crumbling wall there and cover it with strong netting so chunks don't fall out and derail trains. And instead of running cables through the protective concrete wall, they just stapled them to the tunnel wall.

So, repairs are "officially done," but none of the damage from Sandy has really been fixed, and if the tunnel floods again we are turbofucked.

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Aug 23, 2020

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i kinda miss the sun

that was this morning

the sunset in nyc was really strange last night too. the sun dimmed until it was barely brighter than the moon

https://twitter.com/apadillafilm6/status/1305849229299064836

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

wolfs posted:

this is confusing me too on some level-
New York City’s core is an island, and then all around it is the Hudson and that other river- is it just that everything is so covered in concrete and asphalt, that while it is raining, there’s no infiltration happening once the man made stormwater gutters and stuff fill
up?

Yeah cities that are surrounded by water generally don't flood, you got it exactly right

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1486715110076805121/photo/1

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Naturally my wife is livid and it’s my fault for not stopping them. "For a self professed revolutionary you sure bow down to government authority quickly"

holy poo poo this is brutal. your wife loving owned you lol

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

From the article I got the image from:

One of my coworkers died in a similar way: she went to vermont on vacation, went for a walk with her dog, and never returned. It turns out her dog jumped into some lake or stream with a very strong invisible current, she jumped in after it, and both died. Fast-moving water is outrageously deadly

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

southeast kentucky had catastrophic flooding last july, killing ~40 people. they're on track to having half the state state wiped out by flooding

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

What’s heartbreaking is they built all this poo poo in a place that was definitely going to be destroyed.

that's most places though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004