Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

They did get a breakthrough that halved the cost of workshops, so it's actually worthwhile to build one. Pro strat is probably something like GTS or Ring first, then the other one, Comms, Power, Training Room or Proving Grounds. Then progress as preferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 8 - Overwatch Queen

I take it back, weakness to explosives owns

Explosion vulnerability is probably the best weakness to see. Grenades are real strong.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Everything is weak to explosives, if they weren't you didn't use enough.

This includes Chosen that are immune to explosives, btw.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mikl posted:

loving hell :stare:

This went really bad. Did you gently caress it up or just get really really bad RNG?

This disastrous episode was obviously deliberate, to show us that this game is not a stealth game. Very rarely, the stars will align and and you can make it work, but generally you're gonna get surrounded and swarmed.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Congrats on another successful mission, Commander.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Danaru posted:

I still hold that three berzerker pods hiding behind the furthest group of civilians was bullshit :colbert:

It kinda is. :xcom: but stuff like this can be frustrating.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Had to wince at that Officer's overwatch. I always forget who has the overwatch-foiling abilities, so I see stuff like that more often than I'd like.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Yeah, you don't see the Spectre's Horror power much. I think it needs to be hurt to even use it, and you tend to take Spectres from full to dead in one turn.

I always get this kind of mission before I can do a Lost autopsy and make their Lures, which is pretty disappointing.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Let's Play! › Let's Play the XCOM 2 War of the Chosen: Oh look it's the consequences of my actions...

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

If you fail to kill him quickly he can get very lethal, very fast.

This is true of most enemies in the game, but the Chosen really emphasize the importance of alpha striking everything into the ground as quickly as possible. With the limited tools you have at the start of the campaign, it's harder to do that. And some of the new WotC enemies can make it nearly impossible.

Adar posted:

(make sure to bring a flashbang to break mind control, though).

Protip: the Warlock is immune to flashbangs. Which means he can be a nightmare as your first Chosen.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The Ruler behaved exactly as expected there, as far as I know. Needs actions to run, but only gets actions if it sees you act. The WotC nerf to the Rulers is pretty severe! Even Berry's rocket placement problems are pretty normal--SPARKs tend to have trouble with that, I think because of how the game draws lines from the BIT to the target.

Here's hoping the next Ruler walks up on your flank while you're engaged with a tough pod goes down just as easily.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Game chat, what's our strategy? I haven't actually played XCOM so don't really know what we should be doing, and the game seems to be throwing a ton of long term objectives at us (kill the chosen, make contact with people, blow up avatar facilities, research special stuff.) Does WOTC have some kind of unstoppable difficulty ramp-up/doomsday effect or can we theoretically just keep sending people on guerilla ops/blow up facilities to permanently stall the avatar project until we're good and ready?

In WOTC it's viable to stall the plot for a long-rear end time, with a little luck. The Avatar Project is the only "doomsday effect," and there are lots of ways to knock it down if the game is willing to let you have any of them. It's not unusual for experienced players to put off doing any of the story beats until they're at the top of the tech tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

E: I'm also starting to re-think how dangerous teleport after taking damage is, since the AI just keeps using it to clown itself into flanks.

It is, at worst, somewhat inconvenient. Very rarely do they end up in a good position that a grenade can't reach.