Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Super psyched for this: I love XCOM and also your drunken antics, so this should be an excellent combination.

I hope you favor maneuvering for close-range flanking shots, or else the rookies are going to absolutely murder you with alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

The shot hit percentage in the end of mission summary is nonsense: I have definitely missed shots and then seen 100.00%. Pretty sure it's the number of hits (including overwatches) divided by the number of times you used the shoot command (excluding overwatches). I don't know if the developers don't care about the bug because it's so minor vs the trouble of tracking the number of ovrewatches that actually went off, or if they want it that way to make your hit rate less depressing.

Edit: you guys need to start nicknaming people. It's a core part of the XCOM experience.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 27, 2018

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Tried to get too sneaky, I guess. When there's no timer I always just do my best to systematically move down the middle of the map and exterminate the enemy piecemeal. Squad size is really killing you, though. Elena's great but I'm not sure her stealth is worth losing 25% of your combat power to swap a fighting soldier for her.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I think the real takeaway is that Grace started the mission by saying "Let's go kill some aliens" and you didn't listen and look where that got you.

Listen to Grace. And also to your inner bloodlust.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

The assassin is the reason I started carrying battle scanners outside of retaliations. Which, now that you have the predator armor, you don't need to give up grenades to do.

It feels really good when you can just scan and catch her before she ever gets to do anything, though you have to have a good intuitive sense of how many turns of her movement it would take to get to you.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah the Assassin is basically your Rangers but on crack which is bad times because honestly Showdowstep and her own extreme HP bar cover a Ranger's downsides really well.

And the hunter was probably meant to be your sharpshooters on crack except that would be way too unfair to the player to just have shots from off the map occasionally murder you, so instead it's more like your sharpshooters on weed where they're good shots but mostly laze around and don't do a ton of anything.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Fun fact about those supply crate missions: ADVENT doesn't start marking crates until you're revealed, so with remote start (which kills without breaking stealth) and a sufficient supply of forklifts you can basically clear the map with Elena then do some light cleanup. It's cheap as hell and would be terrible viewing so I'm definitely not saying you should have done that, but it's kinda funny to realize and try once. And it'll let you get all 12 crates without much trouble, which you are really not supposed to be able to do and gives a huge amount of stuff. Edit: actually you hardly lost any of them anyway! Nice. You gon' be a wealthy boy.

Also, the sword-axe glitch is great and I'm sad you equipped her with the real axe which resets it. If you left her with the sword she'd just have one sword and one axe on her back the rest of the game and never stop having that axe throw action. Figure they probably have equipping the axe set a value that says "has axe attack" but left the "de-equips because injured" logic alone and forgot that it then won't reset that axe-attack flag as originally coded. Though I guess it's the more honest choice to fix the bug with a re-equip. Jesus smiles on you.

SSNeoman posted:

YO DAN GRAB THIS poo poo IT IS AMAZING

True statement. Once you're done excavating this is a prime replacement for Heavy Equipment and makes snipers' pistol attacks into unlimited-ammo insta-kills, which is just as broken as it sounds against the Lost.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 13, 2018

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

All things considered (and by "all things" I mean "that loving Low Profile sit-rep") that went pretty well.

Also, I gather from your post you knew (or eventually figured out) what that means but for the thread viewers, yeah, Grace mostly guessed it and it forces you to only send low-level troops.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

The resistance-participates retaliation missions tend to spiral: a good start almost always yields a perfect mission, and a bad start tends to turn into this. Probably the main mistake was at the strategic level when you took that supply raid mission, but eh. The main thing is:

CaptainScraps posted:

It's more fun to watch you get mad and hoot than dominate

XCOM is way more exciting when you're struggling and clawing your way back from a bad situation than when you flawlessly control everything and mechanically annihilate everybody.

Edit: vvv actually, you're totally right, I forgot about that. In penance the next time Grace says comically mean things about the people who scold you, I will assume it's about me.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 24, 2018

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

^^ You can, yeah.

Also, screw the wrath/justice icons. I’ve made the same mistake without even playing as a drinking game. Although justice only works on ADVENT guys.

PS: the thing you’re most missing out on is playing with the UFO Defense soundtrack. XCOM is better with some Blade Runner-y synth rock going.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

That officer is their MVP and his photo is on a lovely plaque somewhere at ADVENT headquarters. :xcom:

Also, I love the Distraction hack reward at a high chance. Get it last action for the turn, and you've got a whole bonus turn to break the timers with. Although controlling a random enemy wins for comedy choice every time.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

aegof posted:

The Ruler behaved exactly as expected there, as far as I know. Needs actions to run, but only gets actions if it sees you act.

Yep. To highlight the key bit, they do not act on the usual "Alien Activity" turn, but only when they see one of your team act. So while I'm sure she would have loved to run away, the spotter/sniper tactic pretty much locks rulers down if they don't come with a pod that forces you to get up there and do something. The rulers are scary if encountered in a bad situation, but if you have everything under control from the start, they can be gamed pretty thoroughly in WOTC. :shrug: See also: banish + magazine expansion + repeaters. Plus Inside Knowledge if you can get it.

Really enjoyed that skulljacking, by the way. Just busting in the door all SPECIAL DELIVERY, MOTHERFUCKERS! Although I was a little sad Grace didn't get to see more of the weird poo poo a Codex can do.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh, I think I remember hearing you call him Cam a few times. It all makes sense now. Also glad to see your beer quality seems to be improving, a good oatmeal stout is a fine thing.
How else can we lower the avatar bar? Are there options beyond blowing up facilities and guerilla ops?

As noted, plot objectives do it, and then besides that and what you said, the only other way I know of is a single particular resistance order that takes off one square per month. (and by month they mean 4-week supply drop period, which rapidly stops corresponding to actual calendar months and kinda annoys me)

You're really expected to keep up with the facilities, as they raise the rate of Avatar meter growth. But the weird difficulty curve of XCOM usually means you end up scrambling desperately for the first few as the meter tops out, and then later on get things well under control and can just blow them up at your leisurely pace between casually murdering the remaining Chosen.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Dancer posted:

Finish all those ops + do a specific mission that can be rather difficult. It's partially a gear check

I’ve found that’s not 100% true, though it’s usually a good guideline. You just kind of need to have at least as many upgrades as the chosen has (if you didn’t notice, they do get stronger—compare her HP in the first appearance to this last one) and you’ll probably be ok, so if. An be done with mag weapons and predator armor if you do the ops quickly. Also a psi trooper with an early Dominate like Dan got is a major aid and can make up for a lot.

As for bee-lining it to other facilities, you need to contact all the regions on the way. There’s no ops standing in your way per se, but you probably have to do some other stuff to get the intel to get the contacts to get the access to Australia. But there is a small chance to hack a direct access to a facility mission as well.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

This is the purest form of Dan & Grace LP, in which Dan both cleverly sidesteps one of the game's biggest obstacles, then also needlessly messes something up and says he's "a loving idiot".

Also, being in Reaper concealment gives you a bonus to movement. I'm pretty sure they did that exactly to create the "got revealed, now you're stuck" situation.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

You were thinking of "judicious".

Also, nice mission! Sweet sweet explosives solve everything.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I don't know if this needs a caption or not

Just a freeze-frame and then the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

That introduction was absolutely perfect. No, no bad missions possible! This will be totally fine!

The actual mission seems ok, though! You're getting a little bit :xcom:-ed with misses at key moments but you're overcoming it with backup plans.

Well, "plans".

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I'm like an idiot savant for geography facts and I'm always filled with this desire to guest on your LPs but then just sit quietly and not gently caress up your dynamic until something like the Yucatan comes up in conversation, way more than I've ever felt compelled to armchair Commander you on tactics. PM me if you want human wikipedia on your calls.

(I don't even have PMs, but also you don't even want that)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

So, I actually got the same bug as you recently. What I realized is that the scripting for quite a few countdown-type things is based on losing concealment. Since you now have High Alert, and don't get concealment, you can't lose concealment, so the event that causes ADVENT to start removing crates never occurs, so no boxes are ever extracted.

Edit: lol, Cam concealing and getting revealed started it

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 16, 2019

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

lol, Rebecca fuckin chose to die. That was easy poo poo and she blew it for you.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Sometimes I watch your other LPs and then I watch this one and I think that if I had the isolated audio for you guys I could make pretty good XCOM trooper voice packs out of your quotes.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

GrandmaParty posted:

:staredog: What did you both drink before this?

Melted butter

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

If you ever come to Washington DC for some reason I will buy you a drink.

and pay for it with the credit card info Grace yells

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Do the thing I've never done and finish the game without eliminating any of the Chosen. I've heard they all show up together on the final mission, and I want to see that total clusterfuck.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Hammurabi posted:

:ohdear: Did the aliens win?

The aliens won, but then foolishly drank Vicar’s Cross and died also, so it’s a tie and everyone loses.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I looked up Filbert Fledgling, and the first three Google results are the three parts of an article on how it turned out so loving bad.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

It might seem weird to have an episode without a mission, but considering the unmitigated shitshow that ensues, we made the right call

Feels weird to read this and hear the episode start with “they didn’t have anymore vicar’s cross”.

Also, if you don’t want to do those box collecting missions it counts as a win if you get one box and then nope the gently caress out of there! But whatever nightmare happened instead is probably more fun to watch.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I actually don't mind them myself, but was saying it more thinking that the mission going hellishly wrong was the shitshow in question, i.e. you could probably have bailed from whatever emergency arose. But there's really no escaping the PS4 just deciding to melt/freeze/render people several tiles to the left so that you move them wrong and they die out of cover. (if that seems overly specific, it's from FairGame's LP of the game)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Dunno about claymores, but I've used the plasma blaster to make a nice door. Aim it right and you can even obliterate the inner wall and wall between cells and skip opening the regular door. So there is some amount of environmental damage that can break the walls.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FYI, that episode is unlisted. Works fine with the link, but I initially just tried to go to your channel and find it (saw the update post on mobile) and it wasn't there.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Oh, wow, you're going into the finale without killing the chosen! I think way back when this thread started I was pushing for that, but I didn't think you'd actually listen. You absolute madman.

(or... possibly not. I've never even seen it, so I have no idea how scary it is!)

edit: Did you kill all of the Golden Girls?

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2020

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Chrysallids can't climb." :stare:

E: I'm also starting to re-think how dangerous teleport after taking damage is, since the AI just keeps using it to clown itself into flanks.

It shuts down the tactic of grenades to clear cover, but at the same time any guaranteed damage skill or item gives you another shot at having him close enough for someone mobile to get a regular run-behind flank.

Dr Christmas posted:

An annoying thing about the addition of loading screen is that it prevents you from bringing units you permanently mind-control with Dominate early in the map into the final room.

The dumbest final battle I ever had was when I dominated a gatekeeper and then used Gateway to assemble a zombie army of every single Advent from throughout the level. I had the dead Advent corpses stationed throughout the final arena soaking up enemy fire and shambling over to whack any Avatar that teleported too far from my real troops.

It also gave me the opportunity to zombify a dead Avatar, and why pass up a chance to desecrate the bodies of your enemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I'll volunteer to be the guy that chimes in to tell you what Soul Harvest is: every kill Valkyrie gets gives her a +5% crit chance.

e: And now that I've watched to the end, congratulations on your surprisingly drunk triumph!

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 24, 2020