Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
parcells coaching tree: belichick, coughlin, payton, zimmer
belichick coaching tree: imagine a toilet set on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Grittybeard posted:

I was going to ask how the Jets of all teams fired a guy with an above .500 record, but he apparently spent a year there and then noped out on his own to coach Virginia.

that jets team was both 6-1 and 9-4 and missed the playoffs

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

corn on the cop posted:

that jets team was both 6-1 and 9-4 and missed the playoffs

6-1 after the monday night miracle

a mutiny late in the season

i'll never forget vinny in the last game of the season torched that historic baltimore defense and still lost

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I was going to ask how the Jets of all teams fired a guy with an above .500 record, but he apparently spent a year there and then noped out on his own to coach Virginia.
Groh was the emergency scramble after "I resign as HC of the NYJ" happened. He did Parcells a favor by taking it but never really wanted it in the first place.

e: They also fired Mangini after a 9-7 season.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 11, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I laughed real hard

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quick Reads: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2018/week-1-quick-reads

quote:

34th: Nathan Peterman -165 DYAR: This is my eighth year writing Quick Reads. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. I've seen bigger disasters -- guys with more sacks or fumbles or interceptions. But I don't think I've ever opened the passing file and seen a quarterback with this much playing time who failed to produce even a single first down. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I remember Blaine Gabbert at his worst would routinely go an entire half without a first down. But the better part of three quarters? Not on first-and-5? Or third-and-4? Peterman only had two successful plays: a 10-yard gain on first-and-18 and an 8-yard gain on first-and-10. He only had five completions, and three of them were caught behind the line of scrimmage. Peterman averaged 1.33 yards on his 18 pass attempts. The last quarterback to be so inefficient on so many passes was Tony Graziani in 1997. Graziani was a third-stringer who was only playing because Chris Chandler and Billy Joe Tolliver got hurt. Nathan Peterman was deemed the best available quarterback in Buffalo after a rigorous training camp competition and was leading the offense by design. This is the kind of thing we only see once every 20 years, folks.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I guess Paxton Lynch would be an upgrade

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
We've debated endlessly what the top tiers of quarterbacks look like. But we've never really plumbed the depths.

Who are the standard bearers for bad quarterbacks? Everyone just says "oh this guy is the worst!" whenever some dude plays like poo poo for a few games before benching, but really is he? Is Nathan Peterman worse than Ryan Lindley, Curtis Painter or Rusty Smith? Is Paxton Lynch worse than Blaine Gabbert?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ryan Lindley is the worst QB I've ever watched with my eyes play more then like 1 emergency game.

Peterman is approaching that pretty fast, because even poo poo awful QB's can start completing passes when the defense gives up like Gabbert, which guys like Lindley / Peterman can't.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like the torchbearer for bad QBs needs to be someone who played for too long without being pulled during a season. Peterman played 2 games, is there a guy who sucked over a total season?

Edit: Lindley is definitely the worst to start a playoff game.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

We've debated endlessly what the top tiers of quarterbacks look like. But we've never really plumbed the depths.

Who are the standard bearers for bad quarterbacks? Everyone just says "oh this guy is the worst!" whenever some dude plays like poo poo for a few games before benching, but really is he? Is Nathan Peterman worse than Ryan Lindley, Curtis Painter or Rusty Smith? Is Paxton Lynch worse than Blaine Gabbert?

Curtis Painter was next levels of bad...he came in with the Colts up against the Jets when they still had a chance of a perfect season...and his first play was a fumbled snap into the end zone. That play sums up Curtis Painters career.

Nov 6, 2002

seiferguy posted:

I feel like the torchbearer for bad QBs needs to be someone who played for too long without being pulled during a season. Peterman played 2 games, is there a guy who sucked over a total season?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
He won a playoff game tho

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We need a minimum games started threshold or we'll end up with guys like Randy Fasani or whatever.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Keith Null

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Edit: Lindley is definitely the worst to start a playoff game.

I think it's tough because the true depths of QB'ing can't be allowed to start more then like 4 games, because at a certain point you have to just go and sign some random street shmuck who'll do better.

Like Peterman is bad enough that if he does start next week and plays like this again, they have to put in Josh Allen, sign like Paxton Lynch or whomever, give them a week to install some kind of playbook, play them then cut Peterman.

The problem with worst QB season performances is you end up with poo poo like Jared Goff 2016 because the coach just has completely checked out on the offense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I'll never stop pushing Ryan Leaf as the worst quarterback.

He's certainly the worst bust (don't talk to me about Jamarcus, he was bad too but not as bad) but he's also got an amazing case for just being the worst period.

Nov 6, 2002

cavallingus posted:

He won a playoff game tho

So did Dilfer and T.J. Yates.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

No way. How do I not remember this?

Ok so it was 20-9. I remember we only had 9 points.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=330192751

gently caress Laramie

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Marcus Peters is the coolest player the Rams have had in years

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

It's funny, I went to bed a little bit after that ridiculous Lynch touchdown run to open the game, and yet was completely unsurprised to wake up this morning and see the Rams won by 20.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
The most amazing thing about Peterman to me is wondering how bad AJ McCarron actually was to be on the depth chart behind him. And then realize Gruden traded for the guy that couldn't beat out Nathan Peterman.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm so glad he's out of the AFC west

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

The most amazing thing about Peterman to me is wondering how bad AJ McCarron actually was to be on the depth chart behind him. And then realize Gruden traded for the guy that couldn't beat out Nathan Peterman.

AJ McCarron isn't as bad as Peterman unless he has somehow regressed horribly. I don't think the Bills are uh great at QB talent evaluation

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

I laughed real hard

i think it's safe to say this meme is dead now

Nov 6, 2002

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

AJ McCarron isn't as bad as Peterman unless he has somehow regressed horribly. I don't think the Bills are uh great at QB talent evaluation

Or are they too stubborn to admit their mistake with Peterman and cut him?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Or are they too stubborn to admit their mistake with Peterman and cut him?

All I can imagine is that he must look like a completely different player in practice.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's something for Ozu:

Darnold is the first QB to win his first start by 31+ points since.... Tom Brady in 2001.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It would be hilarious if someone picked up Peterman and he stopped sucking as soon as he left the bills

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Grittybeard posted:

All I can imagine is that he must look like a completely different player in practice.

He was lighting up the scout team!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Saints bounce back against the Browns and Brees throws for 600 yards.

Nov 6, 2002

I'd say the bottom QB tiers...

Mark Sanchez Level - Can string together a few good performances, but if forced to play for more than a couple of games they reveal their flaws. Make decent backups.
Examples: Nick Foles, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Derek Anderson

Blaine Gabbert Level - Drafted because they have all the "physical tools" and look the part, but in reality they are just awful passers with major flaws. If they are your backup you are probably going to lose if they start.
Examples: Mike Glennon, Paxton Lynch, EJ Manuel, Landry Jones, Jimmy Clauson

Ryan Lindley Level - These guys have absolutely no business being in the NFL. Can't make NFL throws, the game is too fast for them and can't read defenses.
Examples: Christian Ponder, Nathan Peterman?, Curtis Painter, John Skelton

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd put Brady Quinn at Blaine Gabbert Level. Dude was an Adonis :swoon:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Why does the Colorado Hockey team not have the same advantage as the other Denver teams?

Garbage talent

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I’ve seen a chuck wagon of terrible QBs as a Browns fan, but Kizer was so painful to watch that I had zero hope of winning a game and often left to go something more interesting. I watched every snap of Brandon Weeden and every other bad Browns starter you can think of, but no one else made me actively disengage from the product.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bigass Moth posted:

I’ve seen a chuck wagon of terrible QBs as a Browns fan, but Kizer was so painful to watch that I had zero hope of winning a game and often left to go something more interesting. I watched every snap of Brandon Weeden and every other bad Browns starter you can think of, but no one else made me actively disengage from the product.

Worse than Ken Dorsey?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I dunno if Landry Jones is a physical tools guy. It was more he was pretty good in college, but not NFL good.

I mean lol http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000144866/2013-NFL-Scouting-Combine-Landry-Jones

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sean10mm posted:

Worse than Ken Dorsey?

Ken Dorsey was an emergency third string option who should never have played. He did suck balls though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kizer was the worst Browns QB in a while in the games of theirs that I watched. Manziel sucked rear end but at least gave the hope of being able to occasionally do some Johnny Football poo poo. Kizer was just clearly not an NFL QB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Kizer was the worst Browns QB in a while in the games of theirs that I watched. Manziel sucked rear end but at least gave the hope of being able to occasionally do some Johnny Football poo poo. Kizer was just clearly not an NFL QB.

Kizer appeared to be a willful participant in making Mack complete the cycle of defensive plays. Both the strip sack in the red zone and the pick six were egregiously bad plays.

He was not at all helped by the o-line which utterly crumbled in the first half to Hicks and Mack and in fact was the reason Rodgers got hurt in the first place, but still - some unbelievably bad decision making. What's worse is he had the audacity to actually make a real good throw on his 2nd(?) play from scrimmage that made everyone momentarily believe he wouldn't be a train wreck.

• Locked thread