Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1039338332730413056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He's gonna be as good as Michael Floyd!!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quick Reads: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2018/week-1-quick-reads

quote:

34th: Nathan Peterman -165 DYAR: This is my eighth year writing Quick Reads. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. I've seen bigger disasters -- guys with more sacks or fumbles or interceptions. But I don't think I've ever opened the passing file and seen a quarterback with this much playing time who failed to produce even a single first down. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I remember Blaine Gabbert at his worst would routinely go an entire half without a first down. But the better part of three quarters? Not on first-and-5? Or third-and-4? Peterman only had two successful plays: a 10-yard gain on first-and-18 and an 8-yard gain on first-and-10. He only had five completions, and three of them were caught behind the line of scrimmage. Peterman averaged 1.33 yards on his 18 pass attempts. The last quarterback to be so inefficient on so many passes was Tony Graziani in 1997. Graziani was a third-stringer who was only playing because Chris Chandler and Billy Joe Tolliver got hurt. Nathan Peterman was deemed the best available quarterback in Buffalo after a rigorous training camp competition and was leading the offense by design. This is the kind of thing we only see once every 20 years, folks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ryan Lindley is the worst QB I've ever watched with my eyes play more then like 1 emergency game.

Peterman is approaching that pretty fast, because even poo poo awful QB's can start completing passes when the defense gives up like Gabbert, which guys like Lindley / Peterman can't.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

I feel like the torchbearer for bad QBs needs to be someone who played for too long without being pulled during a season. Peterman played 2 games, is there a guy who sucked over a total season?

Edit: Lindley is definitely the worst to start a playoff game.

I think it's tough because the true depths of QB'ing can't be allowed to start more then like 4 games, because at a certain point you have to just go and sign some random street shmuck who'll do better.

Like Peterman is bad enough that if he does start next week and plays like this again, they have to put in Josh Allen, sign like Paxton Lynch or whomever, give them a week to install some kind of playbook, play them then cut Peterman.

The problem with worst QB season performances is you end up with poo poo like Jared Goff 2016 because the coach just has completely checked out on the offense.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Marcus Peters is the coolest player the Rams have had in years

It's funny, I went to bed a little bit after that ridiculous Lynch touchdown run to open the game, and yet was completely unsurprised to wake up this morning and see the Rams won by 20.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's something for Ozu:

Darnold is the first QB to win his first start by 31+ points since.... Tom Brady in 2001.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

pmchem posted:

Why was Phillip Lindsay undrafted, anyone know? He looked fast, strong, and could catch.

His measurables are pretty terrible outside of being incredibly fast, look at his player comparables to see why he wasn't drafted:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/phillip-lindsay

and then be super happy if he actually can play that you got yourself a gritty dirt dog whose got hustle.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean the only reason to start Peterman over Allen is if you think Allen isn't ready to start, so pulling Peterman after half a game because he's such dogshit that you can't put him out there means they should've signed someone else already.

I still think that means Allen shouldn't start though, so they pretty much should sign somebody/anybody that can suck respectably, and put them in. I don't know who that even is at this point (Tom Savage?) but I don't know why you even keep Peterman around for more then the week or two to get that setup at this point.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DVOA is up and the J-E-T-S are currently the best team in football: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2018/week-1-dvoa-ratings

The Lions have also had the worst first game of the 2000's... except for the Bills.

They also think the Bills have the 1.2% chance of going 0-16, no team has more then a 0.2% chance of 16-0.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Peterman shouldn't even be on the roster anymore

Seriously. If he can't last a game before you have to put in the rookie you tried to protect throughout training camp, then you have to find someone else and replace him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Want to distract myself at the moment, so... when does each new coach get their first win?

Here's weeks 2-8 for each team:

Colts: @Washington, @Eagles, Texans, @Patriots, @Jets, Bills, @Raiders.
Titans Texans, @Jaguars, Eagles, @Bills, Ravens, @Chargers <Bye>
Raiders @Broncos, @Dolphins, Browns, @Chargers, Seahawks, <Bye> Colts
Giants @Cowboys, @Texans, Saints, @Panthers, Eagles, @Falcons, Washington
Bears Seahawks, @Cardinals, Buccaneers, <Bye>, @Dolphins, Patriots, Jets
Lions @49ers, Patriots, @Cowboys, Packers, <Bye> @Dolphins, Seahawks
Cardinals @Rams, Bears, Seahawks, @49ers, @Vikings, Broncos, 49ers.

Bears look to have the easiest road and should be off this list fast.
Giants and Cowboys have some hilarious laughers, so that's a pretty good shot. Others are... tricky.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/JeffEisenband/status/1039553802691649537

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

now that's knowing your audience

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey y'all, you hear about the Patriots hots new UDFA rookie QB Tim Brady? He's pretty good .

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

#Blessed by Romo again, hell yeah.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

jim brown in a walk

Jim Brown is likely the best compared to his contemporaries, but he was rushing against dudes the size of today's punters.

Which makes for great highlights, but much like the Bill Russell argument, becomes hard to argue they're the best compared to guys that played against modern players.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I never found that argument convincing at all. Imagine what Jim Brown would look like if he grew up today having access to modern sports medicine and training methods (and growth hormones). Why do his opponents get the benefit of that doubt but Brown doesn't?

Jim Brown was 6'2 and 230lbs. That's great when you're running over tiny white boys, but NFL running backs have, for the most part, gotten a lot shorter and a little lighter over the decades as running switched to getting low for leverage instead of steamrolling people.

The only good running backs the height of Jim Brown of the 2000's are Eddie George and Steven Jackson. (Coincidentally, each of their last productive years were at 29, when Jim Brown got driven out of football by Modell).

Jim Brown growing up in football over the last twenty years would've probably had a ridiculous fight in college from coaches trying to get him to switch positions

A few years old, but:

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 14, 2018

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

pasaluki posted:

I think I agree but I cant stop thinking about if Jim Brown had growth hormones and all that poo poo back then he would have been so hilariously dominant I think other teams would refuse to play against him

At that point you probably just line up in the wing T, have Jim stand 10 yards to take the snap and long snap and let him treat every play like a punt return

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

If Drew Brees had played in the 70s people would look back and say he'd never make it now

I mean in general I have a simple rule that no accomplishments from before a league integrated mean jack poo poo but aside from that, the NFL pre and post 1978 are basically an entirely different sport.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

What if Jim Brown was black

I know Jim Brown was black smart guy. The NFL was still mostly segregated, with most teams having official / unofficial quotas of black players, and whenever possible, they limited them to specific positions to keep their numbers artificially low, leading to most of the good black players of that era to end up in the AFL.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Yeah ofc but the "records don't matter before integration" attitude, while morally commendable, ignores the fact that white players excelled in an integrated AFL

Negro League players could have been stars in the MLB but that doesn't mean babe Ruth would have washed out. You're not talking about college v pro caliber players

Yeah, and my argument is simply that Jim Brown isn't the "greatest RB" ever, he's just among them somewhere, due to playing in an era that was too different from modern players.

pasaluki posted:

I normally agree with you Kalli, but you could have had Jim Brown in an integrated league, or in an all black league, probably even a robot league and he still would have hosed everyone up.

The fact that he trampled over a bunch of pasty white guys is funny, but make no mistake that he was not a loving great running back.

Yeah, I'm just saying Barry's better, that's all.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jim Brown would've been the greatest if he just beat the poo poo out of Art Modell when he told him to stop making movies and show up early for training camp.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Sure, but does it then follow that as sports science and training improves the best player of each new generation is the best player of all time?

It's mostly the fault of football itself, where the league just has drastically shifted multiple times over the decades, but I find that the way the talent gap shrank throughout the 70's along with the sheer number of rule changes that occurred leading up to '78 which coincidentally led to all the great QB's of the 80's basically defining the position to be the best delineation point.

And even there you can look at what Marino had to deal with in '84 compared to the baby soft coverages 2013 Peyton was passing against and argue for further breakdowns, but I think in general you can point to players of the last 4 years and go yeah, he's the best and not worry about it too much.

Like despite being a giant Moss homer, I'm fine with Jerry Rice as the greatest WR, or Reggie White as pass rusher or Ray Lewis as murderer.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm kind of surprised, probably no 90+ games in Foxborough, but there's been an awful lot of hot septembers in Miami.

https://twitter.com/NickSpada/status/1040669331233943552

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Are there NFL podcasts that you guys like?

Ringer NFL Show - The ones with Robert Mays are top notch. His cohost is a dingus, but Mays is very very good.
The Danny Kelly fantasy episodes I skip
The Michael Lombardi episodes are very rough

Bill Barnwell Show - He's a big nerd which is why I like him, his voice can be hard on people though.

Around the NFL - Nearly too close to zoo crew poo poo at times, but they do a decent job at recapping everything.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also for anyone that wants to get into some serious stat nerdery:

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1040384896009691137

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Belichick spends 3 minutes breaking down Jaguars film:

https://www.patriots.com/video/belestrator-previewing-the-jacksonville-jaguars

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Titans will be without their top 3 tackles against the Texans tomorrow. :waycool:

So your oline may be as bad as their's. That ought to be fun. (bet the under).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think Watson will be fine, and the Texans have really good weapons, but their oline is a huge problem, especially at tackle.

Like yeah the Patriots got some pass rushers in the offseason, but there's no way they're that good to put a QB under siege like they had Watson on Sunday.

The Texans defense is probably fine. The Patriots have had a pretty easy go with them in general due to knowing their scheme so completely, and in the 2nd half, they were able to get a pass rush going and pressure Brady a bunch.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah they signed like three guys because they need a punt returner and I guess Corey Coleman won the job

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He has to go through Waivers so there's no way he gets past Buffalo or Dallas or whomever, but oh my god.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/Bottlegate/status/1041109815324536834

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd be fine with trading a 6th that could conditionally be as high as a 3rd if he various metrics.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AronYohannes/status/1041432868956696577

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Guys. GUYS

https://twitter.com/MarquetteKing/status/1041488083772817408

Kalli fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 17, 2018

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar/status/1041542646542618624?s=09

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Yeah, but I mean what is the least number of total wins a division has ever had?

Probably the 2008 NFC West.

9, 7, 4 and 2 wins.

Coincidentally almost equalled by the 2008 AFC West which went 8, 8, 5, 2.

AFC East went a combined 23-9 against those two that year. :smugdog:

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Docjowles posted:

And really just the AFC version of Florida Man, since Brady is 4-0 against the Buccs according to PFR.

I think just the Dolphins, because I believe that's the first time Brady's lost to the Jaguars.

Yeah, 9 of those 10 losses are on the road to the Dolphins.

7-9 @ Dolphins
2-1 @ Jaguars
2-0 @ Buccaneers

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 17, 2018

• Locked thread