Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the lions reaction pics last night were just incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My favorite Brett Favre memory was his last game against the Panthers as a Packer, in Carolina.

Carolina had a comfortable lead midway through the third, and just like clockwork they went into clock kill mode. The Packers mounted a furious comeback, and Brett Favre could not be stopped in the fourth.

The Panthers had a chance to end the game by just getting a first down or two, but instead ran it up the gut three times and punted. The Packers were down three with like 1:50 left and everyone in the stands knew what was about to happen.

then Favre loving sailed a pass over everyone right to a safety and that was that.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

We've debated endlessly what the top tiers of quarterbacks look like. But we've never really plumbed the depths.

Who are the standard bearers for bad quarterbacks? Everyone just says "oh this guy is the worst!" whenever some dude plays like poo poo for a few games before benching, but really is he? Is Nathan Peterman worse than Ryan Lindley, Curtis Painter or Rusty Smith? Is Paxton Lynch worse than Blaine Gabbert?

We need a minimum games started threshold or we'll end up with guys like Randy Fasani or whatever.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Greg Olsen's Foot Take My Energy つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

quote:

Greg Olsen (broken foot) confirmed he hopes to play again this season.

Olsen said he's "optimistic" he can return after consulting with the team's doctors. Olsen did admit post-season surgery remains a possibility. The Panthers are holding off on placing Olsen on injured reserve, meaning they share his optimism. Ian Thomas will hold down starting tight end duties for at least the next 5-6 weeks.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Now wait, what?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Derek Carr is absolutely a.....

/spins the wheel

Buc next season.

edit* stop me if you've heard this one before

quote:

NFL.com's Mike Garofolo reports Lions veterans were "griping" about new coach Matt Patricia during training camp.

Specifically, the "number of rules put in place" and "how hard he worked them" during the summer. The Lions, of course, got blown out of the building in Patricia's debut on Monday. It will be a dynamic to watch as the season unfolds. Ex-Bill Belichick assistants have a way of flying too close to the sun trying to implement his ways elsewhere.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 12, 2018

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The best piece on former Patriots coach Eric Mangini

https://m.clevescene.com/cleveland/...467&storyPage=3

quote:

As I sit down in the emptiest seat I can find, I notice that players have handwritten notes scattered about their desks and their laps. They are reading over them nervously. Coach Mangini, a doughy thirty-eight- year- old frat boy with parted hair and a butt-chin, walks in and takes his place at the podium, a dip in his lip and a Styrofoam cup in his hand. He starts off by welcoming the two new men who were signed to the team that morning: me and some other dude.

Then:

—To show them how we do things around here, J.P., stand up. J.P. stands.

—There is a quote written above the door to the locker room; what does it say? —Uh, you must choose: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.

—Very good. You can sit down. Clarence, stand up.

—Sheeit.

He says it under his breath. Muffled chuckles from the audience.

—We have six core values on this team; what are they?

—drat. Okay, um, trust, communication . . . um, hard work . . . umm . . .

Someone whispers from behind him.

—Focus!

—That's right, Clarence, focus. Okay, two more. Silence. —Come on, Clarence . . . Can anyone help him out? From somewhere:

—Intelligence.

—Football is important to you.

—Good. Clarence, you gotta know these. And I'm going to keep calling on you until you do. Sit down. B.J., stand up. Tell me the name and number of every offensive lineman on our roster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWoNauDxGqc

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The entire NFC South is dead

quote:

The Sports Capitol's Ben Standig reports Bucs CB Vernon Hargreaves (shoulder) will miss the remainder of the season.

Hargreaves went down in the fourth quarter of the Week 1 shootout against the Saints. The No. 11 overall pick in the 2016 draft, Hargreaves missed seven games last season with a hamstring injury and has been a bust to this point in his career. But with Brent Grimes also dinged up and a lot of young, green corners on the roster, it's a tough loss. The Bucs visited with free agent CB Bashaud Breeland on Tuesday and could really use his steady veteran presence.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What a waste.

https://twitter.com/thestevenruiz/status/1039679269016936448?s=21

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Carr won't make it through the season

quote:

Raiders coach Jon Gruden called out Derek Carr explicitly for turning down open throws.

Carr played tentatively for the entire 2017 season, but it was widely chalked up to a back injury. He continued to play tentatively bordering on afraid in Monday night's loss to the Rams, and Gruden called out Carr for not pulling the trigger to open wide receivers. "(Amari) Cooper was open deep, he was open a couple times," Gruden said after watching the All-22 tape. "For whatever reason, we didn't go there." This is a head coach publicly criticizing his quarterback, not a common occurrence in today's league. If Carr doesn't improve Sunday in Denver, his leash may begin to shorten.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1040426817465868294

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Steve Smith highlights time?!

lmao the cardinals player at :40

also the comments

quote:

The way he talks I couldn't imagine my boyfriend ever saying that about another human being even in sports that was descusting he like to feel another man crumbling beneath him not creepy at all

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

I'm kind of surprised, probably no 90+ games in Foxborough, but there's been an awful lot of hot septembers in Miami.

https://twitter.com/NickSpada/status/1040669331233943552

i was at that game, btw.

it ruled.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Flikken posted:

nope, Norv Turner was the OC in 2013.

Torrey Smith for Josh Gordon straight up

vvv heck

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 16, 2018

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oh man alert set up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers were eaten alive as usual by Atlanta's ability to change direction and murder them on backside poo poo.

I'm not that mad at Donte here for missing this tackle because Coleman is really good, but holy hell he is fast.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/video/tevin-coleman-jukes-donte-jackson-and-races-for-36-yards

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

indigi posted:

they way you hear them yelling during games you'd think they would at least be a little hoarse for the press conferences. they must have some technique

they yell from a different place in their throat. very guttural. it's closer to their chest.

it's why they sound so gruff a lot of the time.

Still don't understand eli though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

indigi posted:

where/when do they learn that? it's a part of quarterback development you literally never hear about that (for some reason) I find interesting

IANAQB but I imagine it’s just something they figure out on their own. Have a kid yell enough and he’ll figure out how to not have his throat hurt the next morning. It’s the same thing drill instructors do, for example.

A lot of first year theater and musical training is just teaching people how to breathe and speak from their stomachs though. It’s why actors can fill up a whole room relatively easy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah it’s fine Carolina has Torrey Smith and damiere Byrd coming back any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

pasaluki posted:

does anyone have that lovely 3d .gif of like a QB with red lazer eyes it was called "QB vision" or something

It was Phillip Rivers but it was made in like 2003.

• Locked thread