Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I finally caught all the way up to NADDPOD and what a ride

I've been listening to it while in the car or travelling somewhere since like.. before the pandemic. Definitely a bittersweet moment. All the campaigns are great, duck team fuckin sucks, honestly dunno if I could pick a favorite.

Though, I think even after all the years of content I've listened too, I dunno that they've really ever topped the answering "chicken" moment in terms of how hard I've laughed at the podcast. God that moment was the funniest thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

tsob posted:

I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be any clip of that on YouTube; which episode was it again. I kind of want to listen to it again, now that you've reminded me of it. Just the pause before Murph says "...chicken" knowing that he's immediately hosed is great.

After a little bit of digging (because it's like.. weirdly not anywhere tbh) it was apparently Episode 55. Now I gotta go listen to it as well

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

seaborgium posted:

That conjure animals one was really good, it was a low level spell like faerie fire or something, if I remember right. It didn't even do damage, or just a tiny amount but it gave the players a decent advantage so Thiala had to make sure it didn't happen.

In the Seven season of Dimension 20 Erika Ishii did something real similar with summoning a bunch of terrifying geese, which seems ridiculous but managed to be a huge problem for the enemy.

Iirc they were casting just basic polymorph in a section that was supposed to be an aerial battle. So once the enemy ran out of legendary resistance she polymorphed the mount and dropped him out of the sky

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

I finally caught up to this podcast, and it’s the version of TAZ I always wanted it to be and kinda only was during the balance arc.

That being said I really didn’t much enjoy Eldermourne, it felt like a complicated mess of like fifteen different plots happening simultaneously and I couldn’t really find any purchase during it because it was so plot focused. It also didn’t help that I didn’t really like any of the characters besides Hank; Caldwell is best when he’s playing a weird little guy and Zirk was just kind of bland, Fia was a surprisingly subdued and kind of boring character for Emily to play which is…insane to think about considering how consistently incredible she is in this/D20 but here we are. Eldermourne didn’t suck per se and like this vest goof is an all-timer but it felt like it burned through a lot of its potential by getting caught in the slog of its narrative.

Campaign 3 is fuckin incredible though, such a strong return to form for everyone. Such incredible role playing and has that original magic of great comedy while being a genuinely enthralling world.

Also maybe this is bizarre of me to think but I might actually think Trinyvale/Hot Boy Summer(s) might be the best campaigns of NADDPOD, mostly because everyone is really good at playing completely irredeemable pieces of poo poo. Also I think Caldwell could say literally anything as Keychain and make me crack up.

I’d really like to see the whole gang on a season of D20, mostly to see how Jake and Caldwell do with Brennan as a DM.

Hot Boy Summer is I think unironically my favorite of the new shorter campaign structure. And it definitely might be my favorite overall as well

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

it's this, in all the side content, she's says she loves crunchy systems, character building, etc. She's mentioned a few times how crunchy TTPRG systems with a lot of moving parts just light her brain up. The first episode of their new side series reporting on non-5E RPGs, Behind the Screens, is Emily presenting on Pathfinder 2E to the others. She doesn't have time to research or cover everything, but still does a good job going over as much as you can in an hour. It's great, there's never been a couple hours of audio more laser targeted at me, specifically.

If people think her characters are too overpowered in DnD I can't wait for them to see what bs you can get up to in pathfinder (though I've only played the games which are 1E so maybe it's toned down in 2E)

I like that NADDPOD pretty much follows the rules of the game, while allowing for rule of cool and some smoothing over the edges for an audio medium. I love a few other actual plays that are very fast and loose with the rules, but those are more driven by the characters and there's no real tension in the gameplay. NADDPOD is a happy medium that I think works really well. Whereas critical roll is mega crunchy which also seems like it wouldn't really work if you couldn't see the board and the miniatures and stuff, plus while I love the NADDPOD crew I think listening to them shop for like 50 minutes would be pretty hard to follow

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

After listening to the new Triplets adventure I went back and listened to the Merry Metal Mayhem 2-shot

I haven't actually listened to trinivale yet, but it sounds like it needs to go up next if/when I catch back up since everyone seems to be really into the new live one.

I understand it starts a little bit rough, but is it bad enough that I should jump forward a bit?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Well hot boy summer was hilarious so something less serious like that sounds fantastic

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

well now

it's just a one shot but still, critical role, i love that for her

That seems huge tbh, I think CR is still by far the biggest dnd adjacent property right?

Good for her, she's a fantastic player/host/media personality (I guess?) so it's incredibly earned

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Farg posted:

Emily is also in the campaign proper for likely several episodes in a row

Oh dang I had no idea! I'm still very (VERY) slowly making my way through the second season lol, that's awesome

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

There's funny moments in critical role, but it can't be emphasized enough just how much more crunchy it is due to the live nature and therefore lack of editing

It's for sure not for everyone. I mostly enjoy it, but I also have to be in the right mood so I don't watch it super often. It's also just insanely long

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

A decent chunk of actual play podcasts really, really hate the concept of dice rolls failing and I think it shows. Failures happening and throwing a wrench in the players plan/complicating things/taking things in a new direction is what makes dnd and actual play stuff interesting imo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

docbeard posted:

Mavid is basically Fantasy Buster Bluth and yes, Jake is completely killing it, easily his funniest performance since Tread.

Dang that's high praise, I need to listen to this mixed bag I guess

I've been making my way through the trinnyvale episodes since I caught up to the main podcast and I've been enjoying it a bunch

The first few episodes are definitely a little rougher (especially since they're also just pretty old at this point), but it's for sure picking up. Just got to the nightclub

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TL posted:

I can’t remember the last time anything made me laugh as hard as Hardwon trying to distract the Chosen with milk. Holy poo poo was that funny.

There's a moment in.. I think it's in the late 30s for campaign one that is the hardest I think I've ever laughed at a podcast

Can't wait for you to get there :allears:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TL posted:

The chicken fight chase? That was great too. Otherwise I’m totally blanking.

Whoops my bad :v: it's actually episode 55. I coulda swore it was earlier than that

Specifically the portion with the witch and the chicken incident

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TL posted:

I don’t think anything has come close to making me laugh as hard as the stuff with Hardwon and the milk, but for some reason, Moonshine’s conversation with Pendergreens as she’s hurtling into the eighth circle of hell was almost at that level for me.

“Do you watch Jeff Ross’ Roast Battle? Man, Ross goes IN on those dudes!”

Pretty much every Pendergreens appearance gets a good laugh out of me, actually.

Pendergreens is great, honestly your posts are making me really wanna go back and re-listen to season 1. there were so many good bits :allears:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

the hot boy summer mini campaign is one of my favorite things they've done as a group, so make sure not to skip that

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HoboTech posted:

The episode where everything really starts to take off for me is the cooking contest for the cave entrance. After that point it feels like everyone has figured out their characters and it's also one of my favorite Caldwell encounters.

Yeah I just listened to this one recently and it's really started to take off. The characters are just so great

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of the cast and man it feels really, really weird seeing them.

Then again I always feel that way about people where I've heard their voice a million times but never seen them, it feels like.. uncanny somehow I guess

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

My friend, there is so much Dimension 20 for you to go watch.

(I guess it’s just Emily and Murph, but still).

I’m also curious if you’ve ever seen an old CollegeHumor sketch with Jake in it.

I've heard really good things about dimension 20 but never seen it, I gotta try it out eventually though

Also I think I've only ever seen a handful of collegehumor sketches? Idk it was never really something I followed for whatever reason. So I guess I might've but I definitely don't remember it I suppose?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Olanphonia posted:

I think it might come down to the McElroy team doing so many podcasts and the naddpod team mostly just focused on one or two total. Gives them more time and space to really focus on good materials.

Also Murph is just a great DM (as are the rest of them) and the players are just excellent. All timers for any table and having 4 of them all working together is a treat

I think I've mentioned it in both this thread and the McElroy thread, but it's also a huge difference in philosophy. There's been a few times where the McElroy's have talked about how they see the dice rolls as getting in the way of the storytelling sometimes (though apparently the newest season has gotten better?), whereas the NADDPOD crew have talked about the dice sometimes having their own story to tell and embracing the chaos that can bring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hank's jean jacket is definitely an all-timer bit

I do think Season 2 was a little bit worse than S1 and S3, but man when it hits it really hits