Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jake is really doing his best/worst character work in the Mixed Bag

I think best. I love Mavid (sp?). I’m really enjoying this mixed bag arc, I’d listen to it as a main campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

Jake doesn't warp the reality of the game around his characters this way as much as Caldwell and Emily tend to, so this is a real treat.

I feel like the mixed bag "ah gently caress it, we're only doing three episodes of this" energy is really helping him make some wacky choices. Pledging himself to the hunger god without a second's thought, for example.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I have to clarify, Mavid is the worst character he has ever played, like on a human level, and he is absolutely killing it.

Ah, yeah. Funny how it barely registers against Jens and Onyx tho.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

nah id rather see jake and caldwell on d20

It is a little surprising Jake hasn’t been involved with Dropout much (at all?).

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It’s so good. Honestly I’d be fine if the main campaign took an extended pause and they just did this for a while.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Finished ep 4 and really enjoyed it. Especially Mavid. I really enjoyed Jake playing a little poo poo (ghoul), and the voice was so good. I think it’s up there as one of my favorite campaigns.

(Which, how many have there been at this point? Campaign 1, Trinyvale, Hexbuds, Eldermourne, hot boy summer, blazing babe (the mavrus chronicles), Campaign 2, Twilight Sanctorum? 8?)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

welcome, friend, you have a long and excellent ride ahead. i recommend shelling out the fiver for the patreon short rests, they're amazing companion pieces to each ep

If you think you can afford it, the next tier up for the mixed bags is pretty worth it also. Though I guess pay for the short rests and listen to everything and then you could go back.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Calexio posted:

I'm going through all the old 8-bit Book Club episodes (more talk about cum than you might expect from a videogame book club podcast) and in one of the Warcraft book episodes, Emily says that she believes nobody actually likes brownies because they are always dry and what people actually like is brownies in sundaes. Which is just pure unbridled madness.

Also, in one of the Myst episodes Caldwell says, "Well, Elon Musk doesn't seem like that much of an rear end in a top hat." A very grim laugh there at how quickly reality proved him wrong.

The four episode saga of them repeatedly failing to complete one specific Sonic the Hedgehog game book is a delight. So is Murph's outrage when Caldwell and Emily decide that neither Sonic nor Tails will have good speed, trapping them in a literally impossible-to-escape loop of failure.

The eight bit book club episodes are kind of like the short rest when it really goes off the rails, but it’s the entire podcast. It’s great.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I still like other shows but it is striking how naddpod manages to hit that balance of funny/story while also being generally quite faithful to the rules and mechanics of d&d. some of the other shows I listen to (dungeons and daddies and rude tales of magic) are pretty open about their willingness to throw the handbook in the garbage when it gets in the way of what they’re trying to do (which, fair enough imo, they’re putting on a show first and foremost) and it’s impressive that naddpod does what it does mostly within those confines.

Dimension 20 is a similar vibe and I highly recommend watching it if you aren’t already. The first season of the fantasy high campaign is free on YouTube (you will recognize every face/voice if you’ve listened to enough naddpod; Murph and Emily are in it and everyone else has been a guest at some point) and there’s a lot more available with a dropout subscription.

I think NADDPOD and D20 have a nice balance of being funny, respecting the rules, and actually wanting to play D&D. The thing that gets me about Dungeons and Daddies and Rude Tales is that there’s this underlying current of “Ugh D&D is stupid”. Which, fine, but then why even pretend? Daddies is especially frustrating because it feels like their lack of understanding of the rules can result in a less interesting story. The rules are there to provide guidelines. Guidelines give you direction, a space to play in, and allow the dice to help tell the story. Knowing the rules helps you, and it started to feel like they were missing opportunities because they don’t know them. I also feel like Daddies is just a bunch of guys going “NO, WHAT HAPPENS IS…” (I feel like Beth is better about not doing that).

But also different strokes and all that.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 13, 2024

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I love all of Zac's characters, he has a very particular vibe. We're watching unsleeping city now on dimension 20, and I thought I liked Ricky Matsui (the heroic firefighter who's basically a human golden retriever) in season one, but his relationship with Murph's season 2 character is on another level

The clip of Ricky Matsui’s “confession” gets me every time

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of the cast and man it feels really, really weird seeing them.

Then again I always feel that way about people where I've heard their voice a million times but never seen them, it feels like.. uncanny somehow I guess

My friend, there is so much Dimension 20 for you to go watch.

(I guess it’s just Emily and Murph, but still).

I’m also curious if you’ve ever seen an old CollegeHumor sketch with Jake in it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sankara posted:

Very strong "everyone annoys Murph" energy this Dungeon Court. Very funny. I have also seen Jurassic Park.

Yeah this was a wild one. Very good.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think that the NADDPOD special sauce is the balance of lighthearted goofs with fairly faithful to RAW role playing. Eldermourne is clearly an attempt to do something darker and more serious. I think it strayed too far from their strengths, and so wasn’t as successful as C1. Which is not to say it’s bad or not worth listening to. I think there’s a lot of cool stuff in there (and of course, the hexbuds).

C3 clearly returns to their roots and realigns with their strengths.

I give them a lot of credit for trying something new, not letting it go on for too long and then pivoting back to their original campaign. The pivot back to Bahumia was also done in such a way that they’ve given themselves space to continue to break new ground, rather than just keeping on with the same characters, or even the same time period.

All of that is difficult to do IMO. I think it takes a lot of skill and savvy.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Caldwells immediate derail by offering up a non existent chaise was great this episode

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I love a Jake/caldwell led episode.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

Goddamn, they were working so hard to carry that episode of Dungeon Court (haven’t heard the Short Rest yet but I’ll listen tomorrow.) the guests were good but it felt like they weren’t comfortable diving headfirst into the conversation without knowing the normal podcast dynamic, and Caldwell and Jake were both just turned up to 11 to make sure the output was quality and I really appreciated their dedication to the craft.

I mean Nathan Yaffe has been on before and is a self professed fan. Karina was quiet though.

Jake and Caldwell were working hard, but it was charming.

Caldwell, Nathan and Karina were all on a recent episode of gamechanger. I’m sure that they taped the episode a while ago but it probably had something to do with both of them guesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

karina wasn't on game changer, that was kiana mai

karina was kind of in the background of the dungeon court episode because she almost certainly knows nothing about d&d, but was just there for the goofs and yugioh and that's just fine imo

Whoops! Got their voices mixed up.