Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ah ha ha of loving course Conquest inspired this, I can completely see it in hindsight

My wife and I are similarly laughing out loud having just found this out by reading these posts. It's PERFECT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

The chainsaw gag is straight out of Phantasm II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAz6ip1WK08&t=32s

There's a lot of pretty overt references to horror and fantasy movies throughout the film, Hellraiser, Friday the 13th, Heavy Metal, Jodorowsky, etc. It's like he put them all in a blender. But it's done in a more loose fantastical way rather than something using them as ingredients in a very specific way, like say Stranger Things.

Another one is Mad Max, when she's walking around the woods in the beginning of the movie and sees and sees the dead animal killed by a biker gang. At that point in the movie we take it to mean like some supernatural poo poo is going down but later Bill Duke explains how the Black Skulls (those three bikers) go around gutting animals and stuff. She's drawn to the sound because it sounds like a wolf howl at first but then sounds weird and demonic, and we think it might be too because of where the movie is at that point, but it was one of the bikers howling. :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

people talk a big game about "nothing supernatural going on" but the truth is it's much better if literal demons from hell just really love drugs and are no match for nicolas cage

I like it better that way too the more I think about it for reasons everyone already said, but the time period makes me lean more towards it all being caused by super LSD and everyone being a regular human when I was watching it. You got a lot of this weird killer was given super drugs flicks at the time like Nightmare or Absurd and it reminded me of that and early war on drugs evoking flicks that would explain away their killers that way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

When I was watching the film, I assumed the Jar given to the bikers was blood. Probably it was just the lighting, but it looked darker and less viscous than the lcd hoard. Plus, I thought the bikers' request for blood was worded like they were seeking more blood (though I may have just heard what I wanted to hear).

Actually I think the movie is distinctly trying to take the opposite approach. Our heroes are two honest people sure. But one of the introductory scenes is of Cage deliberately turning off a Reagan speech, and of the two sitting around watching a horror movie. Not to mention the metal t-shirts and fantasy artwork belonging to Mandy. Meanwhile the cult is a bunch of christians deliberately undermining Christ's teachings for personal profit/pleasure.

In conclusion, Jesus Freaks are a land of contrasts.

Same here, the cult felt like this film's version of Evangeicals to me.

You're right about the biker, I definitely heard him say BLOOD, FOR BLOOD, MORE. They offered up the curly haired kid (he gets grabbed while the couple is being abducted).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

When Cage lit a smoke off a burning skull I could have sworn that he had done that in a movie before (and maybe he has), but I was thinking specifically of him drinking a beer out of a foe's skull in Drive Angry.

e: Mandy is def an arthouse cousin of Drive Angry

Also the epic ending of Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence where at the very end the hero puts a cigarette in his mouth and lights it with the Maniac Cop's severed on fire arm. :hellyeah:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

:perfect: I'm laughing out loud at this because when we walked out of the theater two nights ago the first thing my wife said was "this is totally the kind of movie Neil Breen would make if he was good."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah it's not just that they're on LSD they're on prototype experimental special LSD that made them permanently nuts.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Free Drinks posted:

Was anyone else upset that Brother Swan blew into it incorrectly?

I liked that, like despite how it looks maybe it just works and sounds like a regular ocarina if you blow into it correctly, but if you go to that particular part of the woods where the bikers hang out and blow into it the wrong way...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I already worked The Horn of Abraxas into a Shadowrun game I'm running.

Free Drinks posted:

2. The allusions to cumming when Red crushes the head felt out of place to me. Sure it was a big moment of relief and release for Red, but the film had done a impressive job of not screaming the sexual symbolism right in your face until then. And yes I know the knife dick counters my claim immediately, but why I consider that different is that it's attached to a otherworldly, bizarre creature that kinda looks like a person (and may be a person). Though I guess I just rebutted my own complaint since it could easily be argued that Red no longer is human by then so adapting the outrageous sexual symbolism would make sense.

What about the cathartic part where Brother Swan gets stabbed in the mouth because that was one of the most phallic imagery things in the movie not counting the part where we literally see a dick.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 25, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Free Drinks posted:

Right below what you quoted:

After the "Shadow Mountains 1983 a.d." and "Children of the New Dawn" cards I really thought it was going to go with a pulp novel chapters motif for the rest of the movie, but the only other one ended up being the title card. Though they all were pretty god drat cool, the Children one was foreboding.

Oh yeah that was stupid of me to miss.

I really liked the title cards, like I was kind of blown away by how a movie with such a very basic story overall could still feel so unpredictable. That gap too makes the Mandy one a great oh poo poo moment when it finally happens.

Speaking of which, I saw this as a straight revenge movie. I mean obviously Sand intended to rape her but the way that scene plays out, and the way he talks about her with Red afterwards? I really read it as him getting so angry he couldn't get it up and that she just cold laughed at him that they just immediately went from there to killing her off. This fit well with him offering to suck Red's dick at the end too to me because he has this whole cult built up just so he can gently caress brainwashed people, but he failed to and is shaken by it til the end because his only way of interacting with people is through sexual domination. So of course the minute he's cornered by the Red (or the cosmology if you take it as all actual supernatural stuff) that he's awakened offering to suck his dick is literally all he's got.

The Children of the New Dawn having a half flower power half terrorist group name fit with that also. This is a flick set in 1983, just a few months after John Paul II got Catholicism to switch parties for the first time and vote for Reagan en masse, with those talking points Red hears on the radio being the reasons. -And in art metaphorically imitating life, even at the time Reagan not fighting to stop abortion from happening was a sticking point with him. 1983 also places it just a year after Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off of a bat, setting off a Christian panic about him (Iron Maiden would get similar stuff) despite the guy himself and a lot of his music being quite devout.

1983 was a year with a lot of conservative Christians all pissed off at each other for not doing conservative Christianity the right way.

That's something that's happened regularly since the dawn of Christianity and continues to today, but here you had it interwoven into our pop culture (just check out any of the action and horror flicks Mandy references) and politics simultaneously over how much the US should be built around controlling women's bodies to an extent that's hard to put into words, but that's okay now because this movie puts it into sights and sounds.

Growing up in a super Catholic household and, looking back on it as an adult and seeing family members of various ages all go through the exact same slide from nice person to spiteful, wannabe domineering rightwing nutjobs through the constant mental gymnastics and twisting of their own faith, made Red turning off the radio at the beginning almost as cathartic to me as when he crushes Sand's head.

So I know someone mentioned it as hyberbolic praise, but this movie was literally a religious experience for me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 26, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah Sand never got his composure back after Mandy laughed at him. Plus right after he has a similarly impotent moment - Red gets cold stabbed in the gut with a dagger from the abyssal lair or whatever (I know someone mentioned this earlier in the thread) like he just stabs that thing all the way into Red's gut but it may as well have had no effect on him.

Roache blew me away in this, like drat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The forging of the Beast indeed.

http://youtubedoubler.com/pSxq

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 27, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gejimayu posted:

I know the apparently lack of understanding of what magical realism entails has cause enough derailment, but didn't the chemist show to have both telepathy as well as telekinesis? I swear when I saw it he flicked a switch or something without touching it, but I could have been mistaken. If so, that would mean that the acid had some sort of magical properties.

What do you guys take from Mandy herself as a character? The scene when she's coming out of the water staring at Red, and the way that Jeremiah was so drawn to her, as well as the weird eye stuff she sometimes had going on make me feel like there was something supernatural about her as well.

Totally. The impression I got if you want to take it more literally is that Sand finds out about the super pierce the veil of reality I can see everything LSD and uses it, but maybe like it doesn't quite work that well on everyone (i.e. the bikers) but for reasons it works on the chemist and Red and like, maybe it made Sand perceptive enough in such a way that he could see she was powerful enough to handle it too but they have her generally incapacitated/kill her off too early before that happens, so all we hear from her after is Red hallucinating or/and her communicating from beyond our time and space. Just because if you want to look at it like actual magical stuff is happening because of this drug then yeah actual telepathic kind of stuff was happening was happening between Red/the chest/his pet tiger.

Of course the biggest indicator that Mandy is someone special is that the cult had to hire the bikers in the first place.

The tiger was my favorite part of that whole thing, that it as kind enough to go straight to where Red wanted to go and then tell them where that is.

Like thanks to this movie, FINALLY, the lyrics to Holy Diver make sense.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 10, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The LSD is clearly magic by any real world definition. But I think it was meant to be more like "drugs but times a million" more than like, a wizard enchantment.

Like there is no real world non-magic reason it'd let you see something far away, but I think the idea is like, lsd makes you feel in tune and connected so like super perfect LSD would make you so in tune you could feel a cricket move on a leaf a mile away or whatever. Metal gear solid type logic. everything that happens is clearly magic and any of the hand waved explanations make no real world sense. But it's all supposed to be drugs. Like drugs make you ignore pain sometimes, so like, super drugs would let you take an arrow to the neck and then parry an ax with your forearm and there is no way that makes any real sense but it makes sense if you take what it's going for. Like you couldn't make up a chemical pathway lsd would let you parry ax blades so it's magic, but like, it's "he is so drugged up he doesn't even register the pain" then "shut up" with the answer if you ask any follow up questions on how that would work.

You'd think this would be less of a sticking point with people now that over the years we've had decades of stuff like the X-Men, Bioshock, online games with super abilities and cooldowns to them, and MCU, etc. superhero origin stuff becoming about as mainstream as it could possibly get.

That said I don't think anyone in the thread is asking or particularly flummoxed about how poo poo works in the movie rather than just giving their takes on how it played out to them.

:laffo: This makes me want to see a cut of the movie though with voice over narration from the the guy who explains how water tower/monorail explosions work in Batman Begins. Like instead of Shadow Forest/etc. title cards just cut to him in his little control office like "THAT GUY RED IS SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW HE'S GOING TO FORGE THE BEAST AND GET REVENGE!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I just mean that I think audiences are more than able to except "it's magic, we ain't gotta explain poo poo" when weird stuff happens in movies. I think stuff falls apart more the more a flick tries to explain stuff if it's not done carefully.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In a movie like this saying "it's enchanted LSD that contains magic" is over explaining. It's drugs that do drug stuff but a lot, and you shouldn't think of the specifics of how none of it is anything that would really happen.

I mean, we already know everything's happening from special LSD because Bill Duke looks at us and tells us that. But like Tuxedo Catfish and others have mentioned there isn't a clearly drawn line between magic or not, I don't think "the LSD is magic that does some unexpected stuff" or "the LSD is weird chemicals that do some unexpected stuff" are particularly invalid when a big part of the movie is about that era where flower power "grew up" into parapsychology being a thing actually researched in universities all of which came crashing down hard in the early 80s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Free Drinks posted:

I have now watched this film a LOT, looking for different things. I am still comfortable with the conclusion that the drug and/or mysticism angle is being depicted exactly as Panos intended. Truly, utterly and purposely ambiguous.

What I'm really curious about is what this was like in Panos's head before he realized Cage would be great. He's mentioned that it was originally a "old vs young" angle, and that would really fit the "disillusionment of flower power and mystic healing" but it really mellowed that message having Red and Sand be closer in age.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Now that you mention it, that shot is pretty much just this shot from Enter the Dragon (which makes me love it even more)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QI26j81Khs

Old vs. Old, Evil against Evil

The chemist really grew on me too. I love what the movie does any time someone goes from one location to another and how hazy it is, like did he drive a mile north to get to the radio tower? A day or two? I love how insanely far away the church feels distance wise even though "realistically" the movie takes place over a small amount of space and, old vs. old? Red is a lumberjack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Can’t decide if my favorite black skull is the dude with spikes all over his body or the guy who takes an arrow to the neck but keeps staring at the fire

The latter was such an awesome you gotta be kidding me moment because the last time he used the crossbow he just knocked the guy off his bike so it was like okay yeah sure that particular one survived that time and the build up to the neck one treats it like you're about to see a real deal BOOOOM HEAD SHOT cathartic moment