Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I was driving down the block from my parent's house in suburban Long Island, NY a few weeks ago when I saw two cats standing and flopping about in the middle of the road, an orange cat and a Siamese, without a care in the world. There are feral cats in the area, but these didn't look like them, they looked like, and were acting like, two house cats that got out and no idea what to do with themselves. I pull over, approach, the orange one is shy but the Siamese is friendly and wearing a collar with the name Nala and a phone number on it. I keep trying to get a look/photo of the collar but the cat is being too friendly and derpy to get a picture of it. I was in the middle of taking care of some things (the cat was also getting less cooperative since I kept grabbing for the collar) so I figured I'd just tell my mother, another cat lover, who decided to go check it out.

While my mother was checking out the cat, someone drove by and slowed down, saying they saw that cat out there before and called the number getting no response. My mother is able to get the number so she figured to call anyway and left a message on the machine.

Just tonight I drove by and lo and behold, in the same area the same Siamese cat about two houses down from before. I pulled over, and it seemed almost nervous to be outside alone at night, looking around but not actually trying to hide. As I approached it came by and as I walked around the area it followed me and rubbed my leg. I noticed this time though it had a collar on it, but not the same one as before, like some plastic ring with no name or phone number anymore. I know it's hard to explain, but this cat seemed really uncomfortable and scared, despite being friendly to me.

Basically, to me this seems like mistreatment, it's not an area to have an outdoors cat (cars, feral cats), and this one does not seem like one that knows how to handle itself, and it no longer even has contact info. I would talk to the owner, but they don't seem to want to talk to anyone or have anyone contacting them about their cat, I'm not even sure which house it lives at. Is their anything I can do? I know there are always going to be lovely pet owners, and I know people have outdoor cats, but I really can't imagine how this derpy cat is going to manage, it just seems so cruel to leave it outside. Does anyone know about laws about this type of thing, what would qualify for neglect or abuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Take the cat.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Constipated posted:

Take the cat.

That's what I want to do but is that legal? Cats, at least in the area, are legal to go outside, but I don't know if there are exceptions.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
It is a cat, not a child. Take it if you feel its being mistreated. Don't if you don't.

E: The law says its a cat. It is property which would be stealing if you take it. Assuming whoever owns it cares enough or would be able to find it. Why are you concerned about the law at all?

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 14, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Check out my thread where I found a cat and took it. Absolutely worth it, I love my little guy.

Make sure to take him to the vet to get tested for feline leukemia and feline aids etc (this is extremely important if you have other cats). He’ll need to get all his shots just like if you got a kitten.

My thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830247

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Did you take the cat.

• Locked thread