Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVrRjt69lhU

Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think the thing that pisses me off most is the final line.

If it had to be something along those lines, why not
"Looks like it's just my size" or something.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It should be mandatory for every Predator movie to end with a sitcom-style cast callout like the first movie did. ‘Predators’ and ‘The Predator’ could have really used it. ‘Predators’ because 3/4 of the cast don’t say their names over the course of the movie, and ‘The Predator’ because it would have been tonally appropriate for a Shane Black joint.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1074695717782839296

What is going on with The Predator promotion? :psyduck:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s desperate because the movie is real bad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Significantly better than the finished film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm always curious how such a turd gets produced. it's not like this could've been saved in editing it's garbage down to its core.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I tried giving it a go, and I can sit through a whole bunch of lovely movies, even more so if Thomas Jane is in it, but I called it quits at the whole 'eat your pussy/I said 'Gee you're pushy'' part. It felt like too much banter but none of it landed.

The editing was a nightmare; I assume it only got worse.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Basebf555 posted:

Oh man I just watched this(it's up for rent now) and holy poo poo that "what are you?" callback was the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen, and that's saying something because the sequel hook scene was almost just as lame. But the "what are you?" scene is a prime example of when a reference is awkwardly inserted into a movie to the point where the only way it really makes sense is if the character has actually seen the original film.

Dumber than the "Get to the choppas" line with an awkward cut to bad CG motorcycles badly composited onto a static background shot?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
This film owned. gently caress the haters.

Although that final scene with the Iron Man Predator suit can gently caress right off, too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm always curious how such a turd gets produced. it's not like this could've been saved in editing it's garbage down to its core.

I think it could’ve been okay. There’s enough fun and interesting things in the film to counter-act the autism poo poo but alas.

It’s definitely editing and late stage reshoots that made it completely dull though. Everything up until the Predator dogs was decent I though. A good start.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Slutitution posted:

This film owned. gently caress the haters.

I rewatched this a few times and I still enjoy it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Studio meddling (which seems to happen on alien/predator properties endlessly), nobody in charge with the stroke or strong singular vision to make a good movie, no script ever existed that was worth making into a movie, too many rewrites of that bad script, someone at the studio clearly wasn't impressed with the first cut and ordered a drastic reshoot of the last act in particular, and the reshoots were even more rushed than the finished movie.

There are seeds of what would have been good movies in here, which was fairly frustrating. Some things had to go that never went in favor of things that the movie should have been about, and tonally this is just all over the place. Making a passable blockbuster, let alone a good one, is actually really hard.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 22, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

I rewatched this a few times and I still enjoy it.

It delivered on the Predators, violence/gore, and humor - which is what I want in a Predator movie.

I get some people becoming upset over not getting their arthouse horror film, but The Predator wasn't trying to be that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

At least it was better than Predators.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predators is great.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Slutitution posted:

I get some people becoming upset over not getting their arthouse horror film, but The Predator wasn't trying to be that.

I don't think anyone was expecting this to be arthouse, but people definitely expected more from Shane Black. I certainly did.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LOL, "arthouse". Like Shane Black is good enough that if expecting a John McTiernan-level product is too lofty and discriminating, at least throw us a Stephen Hopkins.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

Predators is great.

Predators is a great movie and a better movie than the predator. I do like how they kept with the story about from predators of enhancing themselves genetically and saying that it was something like a civil war over it, if crazy Laurence Fishburne can be trusted.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 22, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People want a good action movie and this was not it.

Predator 1 is top tier action flick and they will never top it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predator 2 exists my dude. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

predator 2 looks better and better with each subsequent sequel.

i'm not a predators fan but it is far better than THE predator.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 22, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Predator is a movie I honestly keep forgetting I saw. I go sometimes “oh when does The Predator come out, I’m kinda excited.”

Man I remember AvP-R more then I do The Predator.

Score is great though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ok, this is pretty cool

https://twitter.com/Predator/status/1076537856141586432

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Would.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poo poo, I would too.

I remember when the game Mortal Kombat X came out, they did 3 themed beers as a tie-in. They were actually... way, way better than I expected them to be.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Predator/status/1076900243927519233?s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lmao what the gently caress is this movie’s promotional team doing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Hollywood kind of admitting it's easier to get through their movie if you're shitfaced.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Hollywood kind of admitting it's easier to get through their movie if you're shitfaced.

GET TO IT SLOSHHHAD

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
There’s some badass scenes in Predator. When he escapes from the lab it was kind of a prolonged “holy poo poo” moment. Shane Black should’ve just made the whole movie like that scene imo.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Animal-Mother posted:

The Predator Whiskey doesn't ship until April, though.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Kuato posted:

There’s some badass scenes in Predator.

Yeah, no poo poo.

... ohhh, THE Predator. Gotcha.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is one of the most pointless and poo poo movies I have ever seen. So much of it is just totally unnecessary lore building that does nothing to serve the predator and just raises dumb questions. My server turned off 13min from the end and I am not even bothered to go back and finish it. The autistic kid, the dogs, the star gazer stuff, just all fuckin garbage.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It could have been worse, it could have been like prometheus.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 25, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

It could have been worse, it could have been like prometheus.

Prometheus rules.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The next Predator movie needs to be set in a dystopia similar to Blade Runner, or in a future like the Alien films with ships and stuff. Just include the hard R violence and humor, and we're good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slutitution posted:

Just include the hard R violence and humor, and we're good.

That's what this film had and it wasn't good.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

CelticPredator posted:

That's what this film had and it wasn't good.

A Predator eating that government agent's face off - when he was alive - was very good, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Chanta_in_inari/status/1080080542580654084

Happy 2019

I'm tempted to get this

https://twitter.com/Predator/status/1078062905973714944

Also, I guess the Predator is popular in Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuKPYUjtSHM