Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The 1st Predator movie looks like poo poo on blu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vintersorg posted:

The 1st Predator movie looks like poo poo on blu.
Yeah it’s a known issue, they overdid the digital noise reduction and it makes everyone look like wax people. The 4K release fixes all of that, but FOX didn’t bother fixing the Blu-ray while they were at it. :effort:

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Really liked the scene where Nebraska, Pop Mckenna and his son are sitting around chilling, and the son asks his dad if he enjoys killing people. Nebraska just gets up immediately and walks away
This scene was pretty good. The kid looks upset at the idea of his Dad being a killer, and his Dad reassures him that soldiering is different from killing because a killer enjoys it, a soldier doesn't

It's a neat little moment, and McKenna trying to keep his son out of harm's way and insulate him from any gore etc. for the rest of the film supports it.

Then they go and completely spoil it by having McKenna shoot a mook point-blank in the eye with a big gun, complete with all of the blood etc. that would result, while the kid is stood right next to him and neither of them bat an eyelid.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/yorokovu0721/status/1083296542662901760?s=19

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God they are trying so hard to be a meme.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finally caught this, I actually didn't end up hating it but it's like a Transformers movie except with Predators instead of Transformers. It's an extremely weird direction to take a Predator movie, that's for sure. And yeah, it's dummmmmmmbb.

I want to believe that the movie was trying to say something when its characters learn the Predators' plan on in moving in to Earth after global warming wipes out humanity and then immediately decide to spend all their efforts in resisting a Predator invasion instead of doing anything about global warming, but I don't think I actually can believe that.

On a different note, I think it's great that they're still making use of that CGI model of Dr. Aki Ross from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within after all these years.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah it’s a known issue, they overdid the digital noise reduction and it makes everyone look like wax people. The 4K release fixes all of that, but FOX didn’t bother fixing the Blu-ray while they were at it. :effort:

Do you mean to say that there's 4K release that was made and looks good, but that they haven't made it available on blu-ray yet? I mean they won't hold out on that forever I hope.

We finally saw The Predator and holy poo poo this movie is awful on every level. Looking back not much to say that hasn't already been said in the thread but WOW.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Do you mean to say that there's 4K release that was made and looks good, but that they haven't made it available on blu-ray yet? I mean they won't hold out on that forever I hope.

They redid the transfer for 4K and it’s a drastic improvement, and the 4K release comes with a Blu-ray disc and it’s just the same (lovely) Blu-ray as before.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

They redid the transfer for 4K and it’s a drastic improvement, and the 4K release comes with a Blu-ray disc and it’s just the same (lovely) Blu-ray as before.

This is so weird to me like why even bother with a physical release then. It was understandable in the 00s when you'd get like a blu-ray+DVD combo or a blu-ray + digital version of the DVD release/special features but it's bizarre to not have the superior version you did the release for not be the one on the actual disk. :wtc: Do people not care now? I mean it's odd since one I assume could just get the 4K version digitally instead.

I know the sort of like, "everything is stone and cheap gunmetal plastic" look for the Predator tech started with AvP1 but I still can't believe how cheap and lame it looks in this movie. Like look at how sick the ship interior looks in Predator 2, you get an absolute sense that this is a totally alien society to ours with its own culture and history going on. I know it was a larger ship meant to hold more folks than the one in this new movie but I mean look how sick this and how it's shot:

Rather than making Danny Glover get his hands on a Predator's cloaking tech, they still visually have the hunted become the hunter with him in silhouette for much of this part. That rules along with the way he gradually gets a feel for using the disk. He kills the Predator because he's able to keep his cool after the Predator is clearly freaked and in retreat for a while.

This is fuckin' sick:

This is so clearly a hub/communal kind of space, and it has some art in that ceiling, plus all the detailing on the walls. Danny Glover and the Predator he turned the tables on and hunted down here have their final confrontation here, the other Predators don't get involved at all and that owns and makes for a great surprise and great use of that space/giving it a purpose beyond it just looking cool. Like the space itself is important, maybe it's where they practice or ritualistically duel each other in general or something. Like Predator 2 is awesome and raises cool questions about how the Predators work. On that note also, it even looks humid.

Meanwhile this ship in The Predator is just as blah as the Iron Man knockoff Predator Killer suit seen at the end, and it's so clearly a thing a human can interface with easily. Which is fine since the Predators are humanoid, but at the same time they basically like went out of their way to make the ship no different from like the quinjets in the Captain America/Avengers movies or whatever, just bland as hell when they already had cool stuff going on in Predator 2. I always loved how complex the walls are. The Predator raises a lot of dumb questions about how the Predators work. I know it's like a one person thing or whatever but dang.

This movie really does feel like Raiders of Atlantis or something where they just smashed bunch of random concepts from other hit movies together and rolled with it, the difference of course being that Raiders of Atlantis is fuckin' amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ0m-idDCLg

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 14, 2019

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

This is so weird to me like why even bother with a physical release then. It was understandable in the 00s when you'd get like a blu-ray+DVD combo or a blu-ray + digital version of the DVD release/special features but it's bizarre to not have the superior version you did the release for not be the one on the actual disk. :wtc: Do people not care now? I mean it's odd since one I assume could just get the 4K version digitally instead.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but they sell physical 4K movies on disc now. It's called UHD.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lizardman posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but they sell physical 4K movies on disc now. It's called UHD.

It is I who am stupid because I thought a blu-ray player could play a UHD and that it just wouldn't look as good, so I assumed what I posted was the case.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Cross-post from the Alien thread:

A weird parallel I noticed between Alien and Predator. The deaths of Blaine and Brett mirror each other. The alien in each movie has already killed one of the core group and the rest of the group is now looking for the alien. Blaine and Brett are on their own when they are distracted by a small furry animal prior to being killed by the alien in each movie. They each get a preliminary scare prior to actually being killed. Just after being killed their best friend, a strong black character, runs in and sees the alien just prior to it running off and disappearing. The black friend then vows revenge and is the strongest proponent of killing the alien from then on and both are killed while confronting their respective aliens.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^Predator from the get-go was conceived as "Rambo Vs. Alien" so it would not surprise me at all if the writers took some plot cues from either one of their movies' stated influences.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/1087780247297245188

Not even NECA liked the film much.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

NECA didn’t like Alien3 but their Dog Alien is possibly the best Alien figure they’ve ever made.

I’ll give them credit, even if they don’t necessarily like a movie they still don’t half-rear end it if they’ve committed to making a figure from it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Except their weird hatred of Danny Glover is loving dumb.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Except their weird hatred of Danny Glover is loving dumb.

Do they hate him, or has he refused to license his likeness?

That said, their human figures almost always warm the pegs unless there’s something exceptionally interesting about them (cool sci fi guns/design/accessories, really notable actor, really popular character). Realistically, Harrigan from ‘Predator 2’ is kinda none of those and he’d require all new sculpts and molds that wouldn’t be useful for making additional figures, making him comparatively expensive to make with an in-built lower chance of selling well.

But I’d totally buy one if they made one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Under pack him then. Like Lambert.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Or do the Comic-Con thing/Online sales.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Online yes but do not comic con Harrigan. I would be so sad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Predator/status/1093962254758957056

:thunk:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

, bubba.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Predator/status/1096115037306044417

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

imagine if they put all that effort into the actual movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/1096106950373371905?s=19

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, that is pretty good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

NECA (the company that makes Predator action figures) just revealed their 100th Predator figure - it's a Predator wearing armor made out of body parts of the original Predator design from when Jean Claude Van Damme was playing the creature.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
They are also jumping on the retro bandwagon and making Kenner-style figures of modern characters

https://twitter.com/Geekguy1017/status/1096843213724364801?s=19

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I'm an idiot so I picked up The Predator on blu-ray last weekend.

I hope they release some kind of director's cut or something because that was a big noisy incoherent mess.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PhotoKirk posted:

I'm an idiot so I picked up The Predator on blu-ray last weekend.

I hope they release some kind of director's cut or something because that was a big noisy incoherent mess.

A director’s cut would be less coherent. All throughout production they were filming a ton of scenes piecemeal while revising the script on the fly and then filming new replacement scenes, and finally they said “oh poo poo, we need to actually finish this movie” and edited together what they had as best they could. There’s whole subplots and characters that got filmed but left on the cutting room floor but can’t be edited in because the framing elements didn’t get filmed because the whole sequence got scrapped before they reached that point.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Saw like 15 min of this on HBO last night and I completely forgot that the shoulder gun just randomly blows the black guys head off for some reason.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

Saw like 15 min of this on HBO last night and I completely forgot that the shoulder gun just randomly blows the black guys head off for some reason.
It tracks head movement and he forgets which way it would be facing when he fires it. Like it’s a legit funny idea but the poo poo editing makes it so quick that you don’t even know what happened. I didn’t even make the connection on my first viewing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Such a bizarre editing choice, especially considering the movie is rated-R and there was no reason to do such a blink-and-you-miss-it cut like that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's edited so poorly that I didn't even realize he died.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
It seems like weird edits of death scenes is A Thing in the series. Blaine and Mac both have very weird edits to their death in the first film where you see them die from slightly different angles in slightly different ways. And Predator 2 has the amazing goof when Gary Busey gets cut in half but his torso remains presumably stapled to a hanging slab of beef.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

It seems like weird edits of death scenes is A Thing in the series. Blaine and Mac both have very weird edits to their death in the first film where you see them die from slightly different angles in slightly different ways. And Predator 2 has the amazing goof when Gary Busey gets cut in half but his torso remains presumably stapled to a hanging slab of beef.

At least with those deaths the weird editing is in service of showing the audience some gnarly gore. The one in The Predator takes what could've been a memorable moment completely away from the audience because like 3/4 of people who saw the movie seem to have missed it completely. Like, nobody asks what happened to Mac after they finish watching Predator, you know that his head got completely splattered, or that Blaine got his chest exploded.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That scene was the big reshoot they did, so a part of me thinks they couldn’t get Brown for the whole thing, so they did a quick “and then he dies” using CGI and a double.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

That scene was the big reshoot they did, so a part of me thinks they couldn’t get Brown for the whole thing, so they did a quick “and then he dies” using CGI and a double.

I get it, but if they just hold that shot for 2 seconds more, it lands in a completely different way instead of being a moment that people have to youtube after the fact because they looked down to take a sip of their drink or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I had to rewind that a couple times.