Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Next movie opens predator planet jungle city. Something kills a predator mailman. Detective predator shows up and lights his advanced predator cigarette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Might be the worst movie I've seen all year. Bad jokes, bad stereotypes, bad storytelling.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The editing and pacing were loving horrendous, but it was still watchable. The first half and the second half might be the most disjointed thing I've ever seen.

The Predator: predators have autism and so do their space dogs.

I wish that the whole squad lived, because I would generally watch another film where they go hunt aliens or some other sci-fi monster. Also as a huge Disney Parks nerd, I sure didn't expect a loving Haunted Mansion reference in there.

Ending chat and it's been mentioned: how the gently caress do you not do something with Schwarzenegger there?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because he doesn’t want to be a cameo. He wants an actual role.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe the predator movie where The Rock the son of Arnold goes to Danny Glover to learn about predators to go on to fight on the predator gladiator planet will never happen.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

General Dog posted:

Screen Rant has a pretty in-depth breakdown of what the reshoots probably changed

https://screenrant.com/predator-movie-reshoots-changes-shane-black-fox/

So yeah, this was a real hatchet job, although it seems like the movie probably had some pretty deep flaws from the start.

Unfortunate, because I really like Shane Black. I was going to give this a go but not anymore.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Harlock posted:

Might be the worst movie I've seen all year. Bad jokes, bad stereotypes, bad storytelling.

Yep, except this might be the worst movie I’ve ever seen. The editing was so jarring I had a hard time understanding what was happening from second to second. It’s like someone took all the wrong lessons from a transformers action scene and applied them to a whole movie.

Hollywood, pay me only 3million dollars and I will deliver a better movie than this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The studio will butt in and gently caress it all up though. You think you could get past the test screenings?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Carwash oval office posted:

Yep, except this might be the worst movie I’ve ever seen.

congratulations on avoiding After Last Season, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Da Hip Hop Witch, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Catch .44, Apollo 18, and Nothing But Trouble

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I felt like Key & Sterling K Brown did very well with the Shane Black Dialogue and Nebraska, I want them in another movie where they get to just clown around. Sterling really chewed up the scenery amazingly. They were like half way to having an "alien/predator" quality squad. Theon, Jane, and the creepy guy were weaker. Felt like Theon got really wasted given how good he was on GOT.

There is the bones of a good movie in there. Too bad about all the loving up. The editing and some of the obvious "eh we'll add it in post" poo poo that was clearly due to the recut movie were laughable. The plot didn't make sense half the time.

100% needed to not be what was there at the end in the end. IT needed to be Arnold. 100%

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was supposed to be, but he would’ve come via helicopter. That ending was some weird thing they tacked on that wasn’t included or hinted at in any script.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

china bot posted:

congratulations on avoiding After Last Season, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Da Hip Hop Witch, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Catch .44, Apollo 18, and Nothing But Trouble
Apollo 18 is cool, fight me. :colbert:

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
This movie is pure cheese, but as someone who expected to be miserable... I completely loved it. It was written like some kind of goofy-rear end 80's movie, and though there were a lot of lovely things in it (the CGI mega predator was awful), I honestly appreciated that the movie had flawed, vulnerable characters (instead of badass marines or whatever) and didn't try in ANY WAY to be the first movie. I really enjoyed it!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

WarEternal posted:

Unfortunate, because I really like Shane Black. I was going to give this a go but not anymore.

If you really like Shane Black you will find a lot to enjoy in this movie. Good dialogue and plenty of laughs. It is a bit of a mess but not as much as some people are saying. Worst movie ever, and borderline incomprehensible are massive exaggerations. Even the action and gore is enjoyable in an over the top way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

Apollo 18 is cool, fight me. :colbert:

I like the killer space rocks.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jerkface posted:

100% needed to not be what was there at the end in the end. IT needed to be Arnold. 100%

is pennywise in this?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The film is superultrafuckingdumb but I had fun with it. Probably not gonna see it again though.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Jerkface posted:

I was expecting it to be some sort of Dutch clone or possibly a Xenomorph. What it ended up being was a bit of a letdown and basically an Iron Man ripoff.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Seph posted:

I was expecting it to be some sort of Dutch clone or possibly a Xenomorph. What it ended up being was a bit of a letdown and basically an Iron Man ripoff.
With how it's set up and just knowledge of the past films / everything there's no other conclusion than what's in your spoiler text but then.. it's just a wet fart with an even worse line delivery by the main dude

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harlock posted:

it's just a wet fart with an even worse line delivery by the main dude

That's my new suit!

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this as good as Predators was, at least?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predators is better. Predators is also very good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing I found really weird was how Sterling K Brown is killed so anticlimacticly. I wasn't even sure he was killed until the next scene where he was gone.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Just saw it. Or rather I saw the first 30 minutes of it, then it turned into a horribly unfunny "comedy" movie and I left the theater.

Also the 3D looked terrible. It seemed like everything was rendered in different lighting so things stuck out like a 90s era CG effect.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 15, 2018

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

The ending scene - Studio dropped the ball big time not having the T-800 rise out. I don't care how cheesy or out of continuity it would have been to both franchises. They set us up introducing the world expert in, what was it robotics? The pod was human size. Goddamn it give me Arnold, or even just the robot skeleton.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I want a scene with Jesse Ventura cutting down jungle underbrush with a minigun while a predator covers its ears and rocks back and forth in a tree

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
terrible editing that stuck out to me, in addition to Sterling K. Brown:

McKenna being interrogated by government goons, when we haven't even seen him captured or arrested or whatever
McKenna making GBS threads out the cloaking device we saw him swallow earlier, but it isn't mentioned at all in the scene prior? there's no indication of why he decides to do this then, as opposed to earlier

I still got a $6 matinee ticket's worth of dumb fun out of this, but what a mess

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Greyhawk posted:

Just saw it. Or rather I saw the first 30 minutes of it, then it turned into a horribly unfunny "comedy" movie and I left the theater.

Also the 3D looked terrible. It seemed like everything was rendered in different lighting so things stuck out like a 90s era CG effect.

There was a 3D version? They're still doing that?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The thing that was the most "Uhhh ok" for me was Them going from having a single pump shotgun and some motorcycles to having an RV + an entire action arsenal as well as just all the shifting of characters around where you're never sure who is in what scene. Example: Theon isn't in the hotel scene, which makes me think he died earlier in the original version before the change to night time act 3

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He didn’t.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jerkface posted:

The thing that was the most "Uhhh ok" for me was Them going from having a single pump shotgun and some motorcycles to having an RV + an entire action arsenal as well as just all the shifting of characters around where you're never sure who is in what scene. Example: Theon isn't in the hotel scene, which makes me think he died earlier in the original version before the change to night time act 3

When did half the team leave the farm or wherever they were being held prisoner and get a news helicopter? Were they not captured to begin with? I can't remember now, but when they showed back up it was pretty jarring.

You can cinema sins this movie to death, but that's not really the problem with it. The root problem is that none of these characters- especially not the leads- are especially likable or interesting. It turns out there's a big difference between RDJ or Mel Gibson or Russel Crow spouting Shane Black dialogue, and generic Hollywood meat man and Olivia Munn spouting Shane Black dialogue (along with a big serving of boring/nonsensical exposition dumps).

Maybe some of the characterization we lost in the cut would have helped, but I kind of doubt it really would have helped substantially.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Does a predator movie really need stand out characters? What is this Citizen Kane? I think your trying to treat action schlock to highly.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Does a predator movie really need stand out characters? What is this Citizen Kane? I think your trying to treat action schlock to highly.

I would say so, but even if it doesn't it at least needs a stand out predator

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The predators have always been so flimsy that they are described and named with a single word.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

General Dog posted:

When did half the team leave the farm or wherever they were being held prisoner and get a news helicopter? Were they not captured to begin with? I can't remember now, but when they showed back up it was pretty jarring.

When they see the military helicopter coming to them McKenna tells them to get out of there and go find a ride. Then they go let the dog play fetch and only McKenna and the Doc stay in the open to buy the team time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

General Dog posted:

I would say so, but even if it doesn't it at least needs a stand out predator

The Fugitive Predator was really cool. I don’t know why they had to waste him so quick. I’d love it if he just stuck around and teamed up with the Loonies. He’d fit right in too, being a bit of a jokester himself.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

The Fugitive Predator was really cool. I don’t know why they had to waste him so quick. I’d love it if he just stuck around and teamed up with the Loonies. He’d fit right in too, being a bit of a jokester himself.

Yeah he was fine, but the Big Predator was just some LoTR orc reject. Also this is a nitpick, but I really don't ever need to know what the predators are actually saying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know if I liked that or not.

I guess I could be okay with it if they made the Predator a main character.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know if I liked that or not.

I guess I could be okay with it if they made the Predator a main character.

Yeah if they'd have teamed up with the fugitive Predator and then made a gag out of constant miscommunication that could have been okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I'm definitely not gonna see this until I can see it for free, so can someone just tell me what the deal is with the ending?