Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
"Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a spook-a-doodle."

The Halloween decorations are in stores, the movie marathons have been scheduled and announced, people are freebasing pumpkin spice flavor, and Silver Shamrock's commercials have started playing. That means it's time for

:spooky: THE OCTOBER HORROR CHALLENGE :spooky:

RULES

:ghost: Set a personal goal of horror films. The tradition is 31 movies, but you can set a higher goal, and watch more.

:ghost: Review the films you watch.

:ghost: Promote and engage in discussions

:ghost: For a film to qualify towards your main goal, it must have a run-time over 60 minutes

:ghost: Don't be a negative rear end in a top hat. This is a chill place for people to watch horror movies. Constant offenders of this rule may be banned from participating in the challenge and the thread.

THE CHALLENGE HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN WITH THIS THREAD GOING LIVE.

PRIZES

There will be prizes for goons who meet secret goals. Prizes in the past have included blu-rays, books, and art. Prizes and their winners will be announced on November 1st, when the challenge officially ends. It is free to participate in the challenge and to receive prizes. Everyone who participates is eligible for a prize. The secret goals change every year, so Goons are more than welcome to discuss and guess at what may or may not be goals this year. My advice is to follow the rules, write good reviews and get creative with your ways of participating.

Non-USA Goons: Please mention in your first post announcing your participation which country you live in. You are still eligible for prizes, but we will have to discuss shipping after the challenge.

FAQs

When does the challenge start?
Right now. Any movies that you watch after this thread has gone live (1PM EST on 9-14) qualify towards your goal.

When does the challenge end?
Final reviews will need to be posted by 1PM EST on November 1st. That is when I start reviewing for prizes.

Can I wait until October 1st to start counting my movies?
Yes, absolutely, but just be aware that you're giving everyone else a two week head start.

What films qualify?
Films that are horror or relate to horror (horror-comedy, sci-fi horror, psych thrillers, etc.). Films that are about or taking place during Halloween. Documentaries about horror films, documentaries about supernatural events or cryptids, documentaries about Halloween. Family films like Hocus Pocus and Ernest Scared Stupid count. Giant Monster/Kaiju films also count.

Can you fulfill multiple Fran Challenges with one movie?
No. The Fran challenges are for added difficulty. Only one challenge can be fulfilled by one movie.

Can I ask for wild cards and recommendations?
Yes.

Do really long horror films count as multiple films?
No. Films like Never Sleep Again and Camp Crystal Lake Memories only count as one film.

Can I count a mini-series as a film?
If you choose to watch a mini-series as an entry (like Stephen King's The Storm of the Century and Twin Peaks: The Return) the entire series will only be counted as a single movie. See rule above.

Reviewing films is hard. What do I say?
I believe in you! Write about the themes, symbolism, motifs. Write about how the movie made you feel. Write about the character's journey. Write about the editing, the lighting, the camera movement, and other technical aspects, and how they contribute to the overall experience. Read some essays on film theory to movies you like. Read an admired critic's write-up of a film you like. Sometimes a film feels like its exhausted from discussion, but that still doesn't mean we've heard about the film through your experiences.

I don't agree with one of your qualifications, so I'm going to count my total differently than you (ie, I will count a long movie as multiple films, I will count short films in my total)
I will still count your total according to the thread rules.

I watched a bunch of movies all October but I didn't write them up
That's not participating in the spirit of the challenge.

Can I talk about my Halloween plans, my costumes, memories of Halloween, things in spirit with the seasons but not strictly about films?
Yes. This is CineD's Halloween thread.

More FAQS will be added as more questions are asked

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Horror Discord - discuss horror in real time with nice goons who may even invite you for group viewings of films.

Horror Thread

:siren: SCREAM STREAM 6 :siren:

FRAN CHALLENGES

#1: Love Something You Hate
#2: Queer Horror
#3: Hometown Horror
#4: Worst of the Best / Best of the Worst
#5: Birth of Horror
#6: Video Nasties
#7: The World Is A Scary Place
#8: Once In A Lifetime
#9: Stranger Danger
#10: Fear and Now
#11: Dead & Buried
#12: (Self-Described) Masters of Horror
#13: The Night We've All Been Waiting For

STREAMING

SHUDDER - the best horror streaming service

NETFLIX Horror Selection (US only)*

AMAZON PRIME Horror Selection*

HULU Horror Selection+

FILMSTRUCK Horror Selection~

TubiTV's Horror Selection~ (TubiTV is free)

*curated by Basebf555
+curated by Untrustable
~curated by UltimoDragonQuest

MOVIE LISTS

They Shoot Zombies Don't They's 1000 Best Horror Films 2018 version
Edgar Wright's 100 Favorite Horror Movies published in 2017
Slant Magazine's 200 Greatest Horror Films published in 2013
50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen compiled in 2014
The Complete List of Video Nasties
30 Best Non-English Horror Films published in 2014
Top 100 Non-English Horror Films published in 2016

STAFF PICKS

Belladonna of Sadness picked by LORD OF BOOTY: "The last thing created by Osamu Tezuka's animation studio, one of the few animated horror movies ever made, and quite frankly, the absolute most insane thing I have ever seen in my life. I literally cannot do this movie justice with words."
Blood Freak picked by Burkion: "Did I pick this last year? Who knows! I sure don't! Watch it anyways, it's a piece of history. I promise, it's the only Christian Anti Drug Killer Turkey Vampire movie you'll ever find."
Brain Damage picked by InfiniteZero: "It's a gooey electro-coloured Henenlotter celebration of weirdness! '...when it comes to blood in my underwear, I want to know how it got there.'"
Bride of Frankenstein picked by Choco1980: "What can be said about this that hasn't already? It's just an absolutely perfect film from its time. Better in every way from the first film, from the writing, to the acting, to the tension, to the humor, to all the subtle bits, to the tragic, painful end. Every time I watch it, I promise myself I won't cry at the ending. And I know every time that will be a promise I break."
Carnival of Souls picked by FreudianSlippers: "Possibly the eeriest film ever made. Dripping with spooky atmosphere with occasional dips into the nightmarish as the dead dance erratically to the cacophonous organ soundtrack."
Cemetery Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore) picked by Origami Dali: "I'm choosing it because it's cynical and funny and beautiful and absurd and it fuckin rules."
Critters 2 picked by Drunkboxer: "This is a silly 80’s creature feature sequel that (much like The Godfather Part II) is as good as its predecessor and I believe it also won Best Picture. The climax takes place in a hamburger factory. Best watched when you’re 11 years old or 3 beers in. Or both."
Deathdream picked by gey muckle mowser: "...it came out the same year as TCM and Black Christmas (also directed by Bob Clark!). This is a real classic that deserves to be better known than it is. Being a low budget film from the early '70s, it doesn't always look pretty (especially some of nighttime scenes) and the acting from some of the supporting cast isn't great, but despite being a little rough around the edges this is a really excellent film. Its anti-war themes are not subtle - the young men shipped off to Vietnam are either getting killed or are coming back as zombies." (mini review here)
Devil Fetus picked by Hollismason: "Recently I've been getting into Shaw Brothers and Chinese Gore films from the 80s and well this is one of the best ones I've seen. Its basically insane, but in a incredibly awesome way. Why should you watch this film? This should answer all questions: Devil Fetus - Wizard Fail (GIFs)
Doctor Butcher, M.D. picked by Kvlt!
Ghost Stories picked by Untrustable: "An anthology film about a professional debunker of the supernatural trying to solve 3 cases his lifelong inspiration never could. It's a solid movie and some more people should watch it. The first segment is so drat tense."
Ginger Snaps picked by Lurdiak: "It's a coming of age story with werewolves in it. What more do you want? A very engaging film that transcends its low budget, and has great performances by the leads. I gotta rep Canada, we so rarely make good movies that a general audience can enjoy."
Hell House, LLC picked by Narzack: "It's a found footage movie about a haunted house attraction in the abandoned Abbadon Hotel. There's not a hell of a lot of the lovely shaky camera that accompanies the genre, nor is there any of that dumb running-and-screaming-in-the-woods nonsense that usually comprises the final act of a found footage. It's scary, its logic is coherent, the characters are believable, and there is a sequel coming our way. I just think it's really, really good."
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer chosen by COOL CORN: "Based loosely on the life of Henry Lee Lucas. An expertly crafted film that will make you want to shower off the terrible feelings afterward. But they won't wash off, and you'll carry around that bleak awful feeling. Excellent movie."
House of Wax picked by Jedit
The Invisible Man picked by SomeJazzyRat: "In terms of pre-war films, The Invisible Man holds up incredibly well. It feels almost contemporary in it's storytelling, with a decent respect to it's audience. It's a careful uneasy build that eventually becomes ludicrous yet believable, that pulls off the balance of overt humor and unsettling implications."
The Lure picked by Franchescanado: "A new-wave & punk horror musical about carnivorous mermaids becoming celebrities. One of my favorite movies from the past few years."
Motel Hell picked by CopywrightMMXI: "It was just in TCM this weekend so I watched it, and it was awesome. It seems like the type of movie that bridges the gap between 70s and 80s horror."
Pet picked by Windows 98: "A guy stalks and captures a girl and keeps her in a cage. Their relationship evolves as more clues are given as to what his real motives are. Describing it more than that may give too much away."
Phenomena picked by King Vidiot: "It's Dario Argento, it's Jennifer Connelly, it's Donald Pleasance. There's a deformed killer on the loose, and only Jennifer Connelly and Donald Pleasance and the power of psychically-bonded bugs can stop them! Featuring gratuitous and inappropriate Iron Maiden songs, a hyper-intelligent chimp, and did I mention Donald Pleasance? Can't recommend this movie enough, it's completely bonkers, especially that finale."
Possession picked by Ramadu: "the greatest divorce movie ever made"
The Return of the Living Dead picked by UltimoDragonQuest: "fantastic zombie movie dripping with gore and 80s culture."
Spookies picked by M_Sinistrari: "I pick this one because it's a classic 80s horror entry that would've caught your eye with it's Corbin art coverbox and actually paid out on it's promise of you seeing those monsters in the movie. It's a perfect b-flick cheesy entry to a Halloween marathon with your friends on the couch, ample beer, pizza and popcorn."
Tales of Halloween picked by TheKingslayer: "This one is a whole lot of fun and perfect to throw on during a party or get together and just let run. Plus it's an anthology and this own."
Terrifier picked by Spatulator bro!: "There is something special about this movie. Not in terms of its premise or plot, but in terms of its attitude, execution and style. It's a horror film that thoroughly understands its target audience of macabre-loving, gore-craving sickos and delivers to them in spades. oh and it's on Netflix."
Waxwork picked by Casimir Radon: "It's a pretty awesome low budget horror comedy starring Zach Galligan, Deborah Foreman, David Warner, and a bunch of other recognizable faces. In which a wax museum is used for the purpose of trapping enough souls to bring about a cataclysm."
The Wicker Man picked by Basebf555: "Christopher Lee often cited this role as the favorite of his career. Great outdoor cinematography, Lee, Ingrid Pitt, and one of the best soundtracks in movie history(in any genre), what's not to like? What it may lack in more traditional scares it makes up for in atmosphere and creeping dread that ratchets up and builds to one of the more disturbing climaxes in horror."

IN THEATERS

:drac: A Simple Favor
:drac: Assassination Nation
:drac: Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween | releases on Oct. 12th
:drac: Halloween (2018) | releases on Oct. 16th
:drac: Hell Fest | releases Sept. 28th
:drac: The House With A Clock In Its Walls | releases on Sept. 21st
:drac: MANDY (limited release)
:drac: George A Romero's Night of the Living Dead | Fathom event on Oct. 24th & 25th
:drac: The Nun
:drac: The Predator
:drac: Spirited Away | Fathom event on Oct. 28th - 30th
:drac: Suspiria (2018) | releases on Oct. 28th

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 29, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Staff Picks and resources have been posted. I'll be adding more later.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Filmstruck Horror. Watch House and be sure to pick Filmstruck + Criterion when you sign up. Gutting the library is not worth saving $4.

This is awesome, thank you. Going in the infodump post

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

Also Franchescanado do you need assistance with the Hulu horror list? I can knock out a letterboxd list pretty quick.

Please! That would be great

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
1. Hell House, LLC (2015) | Amazon Prime

I'll say the horror thread's 2nd biggest influence--the 1st being a deep dive into Italian horror--is the popularity of Found Footage movies, a genre I'd written off after the release of Paranormal Activity 2. This movie has been recommended a lot.

An amusement production company, Hell House, spends a month building a haunted house attraction for Halloween in an abandoned hotel that locals believe to be haunted.

It's a fun premise. I got to at least one haunted house amusement park every October. It's easy to find legitimate fear at such a place. There's hundreds of unrecognizable people in a terrifying heightened reality. There's another film that will be coming out soon, Hell Fest, that seems to capture the same compelling setting.

The Found Footage format makes it difficult to create fulfilling emotional arcs for the characters. You're getting glimpses of these characters. The logic of the genre feels like you have to keep the pacing fast, you have to get to the scares frequently, and you have to keep the run-time low. While the group isn't fully fleshed out, there are some fun editing techniques to push the viewer into having a larger emotional response in the final act.

There's seems to be an underlying theme of trying to capitalize on real-life tragedy in the name of entertainment. The characters keep secrets from each other, and by proxy the viewer is reminded that we don't fully know what's going on, and how much everyone knows.There's just enough mystery to make a rewatch fun.

There are some effective scares on display. I felt very tense during several segments involving the clown.

Recommended.

Movies Seen: Hell House, LLC | Total: 1

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SomeJazzyRat posted:

How do we feel about doing horror TV for the challenge? Personally, I figure a group of episodes could count if the combined run time (no commercials) is over 80 minutes.

You can refer to the FAQs for clarification, and it depends on the show, but I'd say that it's frowned upon. I figured the closest I'll allow is a mini-series with a finite ending, like Storm of the Century or The Stand or even True Detective, but it will only count as one film.

Two episodes of American Horror Story may count as a feature-length film according to run-time, but it'd be hard to count those as a film but then a whole mini-series only counts as one film. Because then we could potentially have goons watching three episodes of Are You Afraid of the Dark and The Twilight Zone instead of actual horror films, which is the point of the challenge.

Also, this is CineD, and not TVIV.

So let's just say, officially, episodes of TV don't count.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 15, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could count Mandy towards my total but I saw it on Thursday. Highly recommended, though. One of my favorites of the year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
2. Dagon
2001, dir. Stuart Gordon

I consider Stuart Gordon one of my favorite horror directors. I approached this one with trepidation. It's reputation isn't great, and it's an early 00's film, which made me assume there was going to be bad CGI.

My biggest issue actually doesn't involve the wonky CGI, though it's certainly there. My issue lies with the departure of Mac Ahlberg as the DP. He really knows how to use the camera to capture Stuart Gordon's style and energy and menacing humor, and did so in Re-Animator, From Beyond, Dolls, Robotjox, as well as House, Deep Star Six, Beverly Hills Cop 3 and Good Burger). Dagon suffers from some choices made by this film's DP Carlos Suarez, specifically lens and too much steadicam. There are moments of greatness throughout, like a prolonged flashback of the film's monsters origins where the style is restrained and it pays off with some of the film's best images, but a lot of it is undercut by lens that make everything look cheap.

The actual production is fantastic. The production design manages to make the town look old, lived-in and wet. This movie made me feel uncomfortable with how wet everything was. The town is gross, and the choreography and characteristics of the monstrous residents is perfect at providing a sense of unearthly danger throughout. The make-up, the monster effects, and the gore, when physical, are gruesome. There is a moment when a character gets the skin of their face removed that shook me.

This movie also suffers from not having Jeffrey Combs as a lead. Normally I wouldn't judge a movie for not having an actor, but Ezra Godden, despite putting in good work as the lead, was clearly hired for looking like Jeffrey Combs.

The quality of the storytelling also carries the weight of the flaws. There isn't a dull moment in the film. It still has Stuart Gordon's energy and he knows how to throw in surprises when you aren't expecting. The story along with the production design on the setting and the sense of hopelessness for the characters in the situation make for a flawed, but ultimately great and entertaining film.

While it's no Re-Animator or From Beyond, it weirdly fits well alongside Castle Freak (which also used a DP local to the film location rather than Ahlberg) as a lesser-tier-but-still-good Stuart Gordon flick.

Recommended.

Movies Seen: Hell House, LLC | Dagon Total: 2

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Man you guys are watching some seriously interesting stuff. This thread is already awesome.

Not only that, but I'm also impressed with how many a few goons have already watched.

Plenty of great stuff so far!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I updated the InfoDump post with these lists:

They Shoot Zombies Don't They's 1000 Best Horror Films 2018 version
Edgar Wright's 100 Favorite Horror Movies published in 2017
Slant Magazine's 200 Greatest Horror Films published in 2013
50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen compiled in 2014
The Complete List of Video Nasties
30 Best Non-English Horror Films published in 2014
Top 100 Non-English Horror Films published in 2016

If there are any other good ones, especially for non-American horror films, send them my way and I'll add them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I added a link to the Horror Discord and the horror thread in the InfoDump.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love The Invisible Man. I'll also say it's my 2nd favorite, losing out to Bride of Frankenstein.

3rd fave is The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BioTech posted:

I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion so afterwards I read up on the praise to see what I was missing and I just can't parse it.
There is nothing wrong with the movie at all, but it just doesn't stand out in any way.
That, combined with high expectations, just left me lukewarm.

Same thing for when I first saw The Texas Chain Saw Massacre last year or two years back. It is okay, but probably got its reputation from being the first to come up with something, filling a void when it was released.
Someone wrote in the main thread that they found it underwhelming because they saw all the films influenced by it before seeing TCM itself and that describes my experience as well.
To be fair, I would have a hard time naming anything clearly influenced by The Wicker Man, but the feeling is the same.

Sorry for rambling, I'm trying to put it into words, but it just escapes me.
Oh well, at least 30 more to go and you guys help me discover gems every year so I am still pumped.

There's plenty of movies that I love now that didn't land the first time. I saw TCM at around 13 years old on VHS. I had already seen all the Friday the 13ths, Nightmare on Elm Streets, and Halloweens. It was good, it was fine, but I didn't get the hype. There was even a point where I liked the Bay remake more than the original. But every time I watched it, I liked it more. Now I think it deserves it's place at the top of any "Best Horror Movie" list, because every choice that went into that movie was the right choice.

The Wicker Man is a slow mystery musical that throws you some horror at the last minute. I find the central mystery very compelling. I think the setting is cheerful and creepy. Christopher Lee is a treasure. The final moments are horrific.

Sometimes movies just take a few watches to finally gel. But sometimes--like Phantasm for me--it just doesn't happen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

Forgot to mention, the staff pick for The Wind is a movie that isn't even out :v:

It just got picked up for a 2019 release

Well would you look at that.

If flashy_mcflash wants to pick a new staff pick, I'll change it out. Otherwise I guess I'll need to delete it.

Basebf555 posted:

Also The Wolfman's tiny little baby steps because he's wearing like high heels or whatever they had to do to make the feet look like a wolf's.

The Wolfman hopping around in Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman is like watching a caffeinated child who's terrible at sneaking trying to play hide and seek

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Friday the thread/challenge will have been active for one week. Stay tuned for something new.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Money Bags posted:

Do regular Hitchcock films (ie not Psycho or The Birds) count towards the challenge and other similarly themed films such as Cape Fear and The Nanny?

It really depends! Certainly his thrillers like Rear Window and The Lodger and The Lady Vanishes count, but if they feel more like a noir film or a drama, then I'd say they don't. Stuff like The Trouble With Harry, which is a dark comedy, counts because it's people trying to deal with a dead body, but stuff like Marnie and Strangers on a Train are more drama or crime-oriented.

If there are specific movies you're interested in, see if they appear on any of the lists in the OP or a horror list with a legitimate curator, or just ask in here if it's okay.

Either version of Cape Fear certainly counts. The Nanny is on They Shoot Zombies's list, so that's fine too.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 18, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea jokes aside, that's why it's done. Most people's social lives get pretty hectic as Halloween gets closer so these two weeks give people a chance to get a bit of a head start. So yea, cheating I guess, but for a good cause!

This, and the fact that I get requests for it within the first week of September.

It's funny that people say it's cheating when its been the thread rule for three years now.

It doesn't get stickied until October though , so that's a small victory for the purists.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #1: Love Something You Hate :siren:

That's right! To add a new flavor to this thread, I'm going to throw out new challenges once or twice a week. They are completely optional, but they're designed make you think a little outside of the box and hopefully discover a new film you might not give a chance.

The first challenge is Love Something You Hate.

:ghost: Pick a film from a horror sub-genre* that you don't like, and watch it.

*If you dislike found footage movies, watch a found footage movie. Hate vampires? Time to watch that vampire movie you've been putting off. Do you irrationally hate James Wan? Time to rent The Conjuring. Do you hate movies that star Adam Scott? Time to watch Little Evil. Do you hate gore? Time to watch some gore, etc.

or

:ghost: Pick a film that you have seen before that you hated, did not like or just didn't get. Rewatch it, and re-evaluate.

Some of the challenges will be a little more open-ended, others will be rather specific. Only movies watched after the Fran Challenge has been posted can count towards the Fran Challenge. You do not get to retroactively count a movie towards a challenge. If you choose to accomplish a Fran Challenge, please post in your movie post that it's for the challenge. Fran Challenges stay open until November 1st unless otherwise stated.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CRAYON posted:

It's cool if you don't want to count it but I hit preview reply and this fits Fran Challenge #1 so I'll elaborate a bit. When I was younger I thought Ebirah was dull because all I was looking for was Godzilla stomping through cities and fighting cool monsters, both of which don't happen much in this film. Now that I've gotten the monster stomping lust out of my system and I can look at Godzilla films separated from that I'm actually pretty fond of Ebirah.

You posted it after the challenge was announced, and you did a write-up of how it fits, so it counts! Good work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

I really should rewatch Fido, it just didn’t stick with me the first time despite having such a great cast. It was filmed in the city where I grew up so I think I was mainly distracted by seeing parks I used to hang out in

There's a challenge for that!

Friends Are Evil posted:

Do ratings matter here?

Nope, just a write-up or review. But plenty of people do ratings

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 19, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
3. The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
1970 | dir. Dario Argento

Another acclaimed giallo, considered by many to be top-tier Argento, which I'm only now watching.

It's a stand-out gialli due to it's restraint. It's minimal on nudity and sexualized violence. It's more interested in the mystery of who the killer is and their threats against the main characters and less focused on getting to the next murder. It's not especially gory, which actually made several moments stronger for me (I found the relatively tame Psycho-esque razor blade attack in the phone booth rather gruesome). Argento also shows colorful flourish with his backgrounds, costumes and blood, but he hasn't dove head-first into his technicolor insanity (which I love) in Suspiria, Inferno and Deep Red. Vittorio Storaro's cinematography is still fantastic. There are some wonderful shots used for great suspense. One of my favorite shots, during the final confrontation, has our lead, Sam, run into a dark room with the door he enters from as the only source of light. All we hear are his cautious footsteps, all we see is a vague shadow in the darkness. Spooky stuff.

The restraint means there's nothing to distract from the plot and structure of the mystery, which is the movie's biggest flaw. Without spoiling it, the film provides all the keys of the mystery within the first thirty minutes (probably less). It is our incompetent leads who can't piece them together. Sam is a struggling author who is witness to an attack by the serial killer. The police include him in their list of suspects, and they also give him full access to all the evidence and suspects so he can help them with the mystery. There were a few fun twists at the end, which I appreciate.

Despite the weak central mystery, it's still a fun young Argento picture, and would be an excellent first step into the giallo genre without getting too weird.

Recommended!

4. Critters 2
1988 | dir. Mick Garris

This is why people like Critters!

I don't have nostalgia for this franchise, which made the first movie underwhelming for me. Thankfully Garris gets how these little guys can be fun while also seeing the charm of the characters in this sleepy small town. It has more of everything the first film needed: more humor, more gore, more energy, more mayhem, apparently more T&A by the director's wife, more sincere charm, and most importantly more creativity. While Critters will always be considered a Gremlins knock-off, this film managed to give the franchise a stronger identity.

Recommended.

Movies Seen: Hell House, LLC | Dagon | The Bird With the Crystal Plumage | Critters 2 Total: 4

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

4. Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972, Sergio Martino)

My biggest complaint against that movie is that the poster implies it's an Edwige Fenech movie, and while she's in it for about a 1/3rd of the run-time, she's not in it as much as I want. Which would just be the whole run-time. She's the best part of the movie, for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dead Alive is a perfect movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

7. Wolf Creek (2005)

This is what I was going to watch for Fran Challenge #1!

Saw it in theaters and hated it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

I immediately followed this up with...

5. Halloween II (1981) - 3.5/5

A lot of people like Halloween 2, it's just slightly unnecessary and is the origin of the convoluted ideas that ultimately marred the later sequels (possible cult connections with the Samhein references, the sibling connection, etc.). It's still a good movie and slasher.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
5. Serial Mom
1994 | dir. John Waters

John Waters delivers his biting satire in an absurdly polished 1950's nuclear family aesthetic.

It's funny how much of Waters voice comes through despite cleaning up his act for studio films. It helps that a lot of the satire of this film--American culture's fascination with crime and celebrity, Normy life being destroyed by a counter-culture figure, a love of violence and gore, absurd sexuality--has popped up in his other films before, especially Female Trouble, which is the trashploitation version of this story, in a way. It also helps that John Waters gleefully makes fun of everyone, including slasher films and horror enthusiasts like himself, but it's a joyful parody. This film bites like a playful dog.

Of course, the cast is wonderful. Kathleen Turner's murderous mother is perfect (it's probably my favorite role she's done), Sam Waterston plays her clueless husband, Matthew Lillard as the horror hound son, and Ricki Lake as her sell-out daughter, plus a few other great appearances, like Waters-regular Mink Stole as the terrified neighbor plagued by obscene phone-calls. They all fit perfectly in this weird world.

The unsung hero of the film is composer Basil Poledouris. Not only is his score absolutely perfect, but it alone elevates the satire, tone and energy of the film. It all works because of his cheerful upbeat tones playing while Beverly stabs people with scissors. The cinematography by Robert M. Stevens is also perfect, and feels similar to his film The 'Burbs (which would make a great double feature with this).

Highly recommended.

Movies Seen: Hell House, LLC | Dagon | The Bird With the Crystal Plumage | Critters 2 | Serial Mom
Total: 5

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space sitting in my PVR for a bit, would it be ok for a 6 year old or does it get super gorey/violent?

It's not gory or violent, but it's still somewhat unsettling. I know quite a few people who cite that as the origin of their clown fear. It's a goofy movie, but the tone is kinda played serious. I remember they suck someone's blood through a silly straw, but it's pretty tame despite that.

You know your kid better than us.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Gimme it.

drat you.

Retro Futurist posted:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space sitting in my PVR for a bit, would it be ok for a 6 year old or does it get super gorey/violent?

Fun fact, you already showed him Ernest Scared Stupid, which is the same effects team that directed Killer Klowns. In fact, all of the trolls in ESS are actually the Klowns from Killer Klowns, only repurposed and given new costumes and new paint.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a horror movie made by a LGBQT+ director.

or

:ghost: Watch a horror movie with LGBQT+ plot or themes (directly or indirectly).

Of course, you'll need to do a write up about how the movie applies or why you chose it.

Here are some lists to help you pick a film or give you an idea of what qualifies

Brue La Bruce's Favorite Gay Horror Movies

Not Your Average Gay Film List

Horror Movies by Gay Directors

Queer Horror/Thrillers

Queer Horror

I was going to post this last night, but figured it'd be too soon. Of course several people would watch movies that qualify when I don't make the post. :shrug:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Hey, Fran, what about people like me who don't start til the 1st? Is there an expiration on your challenges?

Nope! They are open until November 1st.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
6. Monster Squad
1987 | dir. Fred Dekker

The good Goonies! (Prepare for unpopular opinions!)

I've seen this movie about half a dozen times now. This is better closer to October--it's a fun Halloween film despite not taking place on Halloween--but I had a group of friends come over, one of which can not handle any gore and wasn't in the mood for anything stressful, who had never seen this film.

There's a lot I love about this movie. The characters are cool, the monsters look great, the music is good, the idea is fun and cool, it wears 1987 on it's sleeve, and the premise of the evil monsters working together to take over the world is cool, and Tom Noonan is a great Frankenstein's monster.

And yet there's a lot that I don't like. This is one of the best on-screen Mummies, and it gets nothing to do. It dies cool, but it's completely useless to the plot and action. It just bumbles around. The Wolfman gets a lot of good showcase, but the Gilman only gets one scene to shine. Tonally the movie is great--I like a darker shade of kid-friendly movies--but the humor is dated and some of the slurs just don't feel right.

I end up watching this movie every year, but it always leaves a feeling that it's missing something. The parts don't add up to a satisfying whole. And I don't have the pleasure of a nostalgic lens.

Recommended.

Movies Seen: Hell House, LLC | Dagon | The Bird With the Crystal Plumage | Critters 2 | Serial Mom | Monster Squad
Total: 6

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can confirm that Night of the Hunter is a must-watch in theaters, if given the opportunity.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
7. The Neon Demon
2016 | dir. Nicolas Winding Refn

Style is substance. Beauty is everything.

I slept on this movie when it came out, despite being very excited for it, because no one seemed to agree about it.

Turns out it was exactly what I wanted from the movie. I understand why people would dislike this movie--I'm baffled by how many people like Drive, but don't like art-house films--it definitely goes into horrific taboo places. However, I think that's the strong point: it's willing to indulge in it's macabre pleasure with beauty. Every frame in this movie is wonderful to look at, which fits in with it's theme of obsession with beauty.

I also enjoyed the exploration of toxic femininity, something that I haven't seen in recent horror movies. There's a thread of predation throughout that gives off paranoid suspense in almost every scene.

Recommended.

8. Motel Hell
1980 | dir. Fred Dekker

It takes all types of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.

I showed this to my horror movie group on Saturday. It's the most charming tale of cannibalism you'll see. Despite a horrific subject matter, this movie is full of charm. There's very little gore, and a smart goofy sense of humor throughout. The leads--Farmer Vincent and his sister Ida--are capable of being funny, sadistic, creepy, or goofy. The cast is really what holds the film together.

There's a lot of fun things to talk about Motel Hell, but it seems to be getting more attention these last few years, and it's still a hidden gem for a lot of people, so I'll leave many of the surprises intact.

It's mind-boggling that this movie only came out a year after Halloween and the same year as Friday the 13th.

Highly Recommended.

Movies Seen: Hell House, LLC | Dagon | The Bird With the Crystal Plumage | Critters 2 | Serial Mom | Monster Squad | The Neon Demon | Motel Hell
Total: 8

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

So for that to count for the challenge would we need to watch all of them? Individually they’re too short.

Correct. They seem to be, at longest, 50 minutes. And since it'd be unfair to say two of them count as one film, when two episodes of Castle Rock don't count as a single film, they'd have to watch them all, and it'd only count as one film.

Short films just make it really hard to quantify. I don't mind their recommendation, because I love short films, especially horror shorts, but counting them in the challenge would be difficult.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

So. There's one week left til the month starts, and I can actually begin my watching of stuff I've never seen. As I said earlier, I'd love if this year I would get some major goon input what to watch. This is difficult, because as you can see from My Letterboxd which is I'm sure by no means 100% accurate, (not to mention the site has a whole separate section for "thrillers" whatever that means) I've watched quite a few, so this marathon challenge of my personal rules gets harder each year. Anyways, I'm basically asking for your help. I'll let any goon command me in October to watch a horror movie I haven't. Only one title per person, so as not to make a mess of things. I'll do my best to include it in my lineup. There's no toxxing or anything here, it's just for fun, I just like the idea of you all making up my mind for me. To make things least error-filled, I guess you can go through that Letterboxd list linked above. If you name something I've already seen but is missing from the list, we both have a laugh, and you get to choose again. I don't care where you suggest the title to me; here, in the scream stream discord, in my pm inbox, whatever floats your boat. Thanks for the help!

You haven't seen Thoroughbreds yet, right? It's still one of my top faves of the year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

46- Day the World Ended 1955
47-Day of the Triffids 1962
48- Kwaidan 1965

When was the last time you've contacted your family and friends?

Have you gone outside since the challenge began?

Are you eating?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

In order: My fiance's been watching a fair amount of the movies with me and I talked with one of my cousins earlier who when I told her about this thinks I'm slacking with how many I've sat through so far. She thought I'd be at 100 by now. I have gone outside while it's been daylight. And I am not only eating but also taking time to cook.

Good to know. The amount of movies you've logged so far is staggering.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheBizzness posted:

7/31 - Gremlins

I know I’ve seen this movie but I don’t remember anything about it except “the rules”. Glad to find that it’s a Christmas movie! Maybe my wife will let me break up the monotony of watching the Santa Clause trilogy over and over in December.

This is really a great premise for a movie and it delivers. Mom blending and microwaving the Gremlins was hilarious. The pool scene was incredible. The best part though is any time a Gremlin uses a gun. It had me rolling every time. Also young Johnathan Banks!

As much as I really enjoyed this movie I do have to suggest that it could benefit from a well done remakeor maybe just another more modern sequel.

Actually what you're looking for is Gremlins 2.

The reason why we haven't had anymore Gremlins movies is because they reached perfection on the 2nd attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

Joe Dante even didn't want to make a sequel to Gremlins and only did so after being given complete creative control and going nuts with the sequel. It all worked out.

I've hosted horror movies for my friends for almost 2 years now, and Gremlins 2 has been the most popular movie I've shown. It's not even a competition, it's just the biggest crowd-pleaser.

• Locked thread