Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

It matters to the fans, I think. But is anybody on either side really heartbroken if we lose:

Missouri - Arkansas

For reasons I gave earlier I do think there's some value in trying to build this into a rivalry. It ought to be one, it's so natural! But like I also said, I really don't give a poo poo about Arkansas one way or the other now that Bert's gone. I'm actually inclined to like their basketball team and root for them since I have fond memories of Mike Anderson and don't blame him for leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Neil Armbong posted:

This is what I was thinking. Making it so cross division schools play on a regular cadence isn't rocket science. The SEC is p bitchmade across the board when it comes to scheduling, both in and out of conference. It all just feeds the narrative about how it's so hard when in reality they're p much the same as every other conference with some good teams, middling teams and garbage teams, not the murderers row they/ESPN would want you to believe it is.

The SEC West is a pretty nasty division when the teams that are supposed to be good are good, the bad teams also aren't bad enough. Ole Miss's counterpart in the hard Big Ten division would be Indiana or Maryland, Ole Miss was ahead of Penn State in the 2017 talent composite. Mississippi State is supposed to be a bottom tier free win and they haven't quite been that lately. Arkansas is the Rutgers right now, and they have a higher ceiling than that.

The SEC East is nothing special.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lasagna Pilot posted:

The SEC West is a pretty nasty division when the teams that are supposed to be good are good, the bad teams also aren't bad enough. Ole Miss's counterpart in the hard Big Ten division would be Indiana or Maryland, Ole Miss was ahead of Penn State in the 2017 talent composite. Mississippi State is supposed to be a bottom tier free win and they haven't quite been that lately. Arkansas is the Rutgers right now, and they have a higher ceiling than that.

The SEC’s best argument for its relative strength is that year to year, its worst teams are nowhere near as bad as Rutgers or Illinois or Kansas or maybe Oregon State. Arkansas this year is extremely bad, but that’s kind of an outlier.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

That ignores the fact that no one except the Pac-10 was playing a 9 game conference schedule until 2011, the Big Ten didn't go to 9 until 2016, and and the ACC is still at 8.

It definitely inflated the Big XII back in the day, and still does the ACC, though the ACC has enough terrible teams that the conference as a whole doesn't really benefit.

LLCoolJD posted:

I really have to disagree with your theory. Texas, FSU, Miami, and Clemson are in SEC states but recruit very well. Recruiting comes from being a P5 school with good funding and fan support in rich recruiting ground states, not from notching a win over Colorado State.

Conferences with Kansas or Rutgers also can't complain about gimme wins. This isn't saying the extra conference game isn't a good idea, but if it is then it's for other reasons.

SEC has its share of gimme wins too. Every year there are 2-3 teams that are realbad and another 3-4 that are OK. The schools you listed are blue bloods, they'll do well recruiting no matter what.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

It definitely inflated the Big XII back in the day, and still does the ACC, though the ACC has enough terrible teams that the conference as a whole doesn't really benefit.

Inflated the Big 12 in comparison to who? Just the PAC-10?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Scionix posted:

bye felicia

:reject:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

General Dog posted:

Right now, South Carolina has a pretty tough one

You're right. Florida and South Carolina have arguably the most difficult annual OOC games and they're both SEC schools. I think the other big SEC schools have been okay about a decent early season OOC game, too.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Look at all the qualifiers. My point is every conference is the same and has years where they're deep with quality and years where only 1, maybe 2 teams are worth a poo poo. It's more that the SEC is nothing special.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA self reported 2 NCAA violations for football. The most grave is as follows:

NCAA Compliance posted:

In another case that seems ripe for critics of the NCAA's thick rulebook, the SEC informed Georgia that a paper name tag (1X8) placed on the shelf of a locker for a football recruit's visit picture was a no-no.

The reason: it was provided for a high school sophomore, a violation because sophomores are not able to receive what was considered "general correspondence." The name tags were apparently used for five individuals who shared the same number so they would put on the correct size uniform. Name tags in the future will be either laid in the locker if they are "of age," or a sticky note will be used for those not yet of age.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Inflated the Big 12 in comparison to who? Just the PAC-10?

I suppose a better phrasing would be deflated the Pac-10 back in the day

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Death penalty imo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ACC is not wholly garbage anymore guys. I know that's hard to grasp, but it just isn't. Out of 14 teams only 2 or 3 in most years is truly bottom barrel terrible (looks honestly like only UNC this year, and I guess FSU if they keep playing the way they have) and none of them are as awful as Rutgers or Kansas as consistently as they are.

ACC scheduling is still trash because we want to be like the SEC, but the conference is just full of solid okay teams. We won't look as great because we eat each other up generally speaking. Gonna be 10-12 bowl teams coming out of the ACC this season imo.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Neil Armbong posted:

Look at all the qualifiers. My point is every conference is the same and has years where they're deep with quality and years where only 1, maybe 2 teams are worth a poo poo. It's more that the SEC is nothing special.

I just honestly think that is false, the recruiting and money being spent isn't uniform and the null hypothesis isn't uniformity. The computer numbers don't suggest uniformity either but I dunno how convincing those really are.

Lasagna Pilot fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 20, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Not a conference, is THE conference.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The ACC required a laugh track from about 2002 to 2012, which is hard to forget, but it's pretty great now. Though maybe a little meh this season.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

It matters to the fans, I think. But is anybody on either side really heartbroken if we lose:

Florida - LSU
Missouri - Arkansas
Kentucky - Miss State
Vanderbilt - Ole Miss
South Carolina - Texas A&M

Of course the best answer is that the SEC can go to nine games, and even if you keep the mostly pointless cross-division rivalries, you're still hosting everyone in the conference at least once every 6 years.

I really like having Florida LSU—it’s become a really fun cross-divisional rivalry over the past 20yrs or so.

Having said that, I’d gladly sacrifice it for a more robust schedule in the SEC. But if we could keep a constant I’d want to keep it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ole Miss and Miss. St. would probably be heartbroken to not get to play Vandy and Kentucky every year. Really got lucky on those mostly-abitrary assignments.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was it LSU-Florida or Ole LSU-Florida that caused Tebow to cry so much he leveled up and won the championship?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Hustlin Floh posted:

Was it LSU-Florida or Ole LSU-Florida that caused Tebow to cry so much he leveled up and won the championship?

Ole Miss. The tears had no effect on Alabama, unfortunately, but Tebow is such an awesome person he can cry as much as he wants to.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MourningView posted:

hmmm yeah skipping that extra game against south carolina is really the thing propping bama up
Isn't South Carolina one of the only sec east teams to beat saban? Them and urban Meyers Florida, anyoen else ?

Edit: after sabans first year ,yeah. He lost to georgia that year as well as miss St in the west (and Louisiana Monroey, lol)

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 20, 2018

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Isn't South Carolina one of the only sec east teams to beat saban? Them and urban Meyers Florida, anyoen else ?

To be fair, he ducked the SEC East champ a couple of years where he won the national championship.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Notorious ZSB posted:

ACC is not wholly garbage anymore guys. I know that's hard to grasp, but it just isn't. Out of 14 teams only 2 or 3 in most years is truly bottom barrel terrible (looks honestly like only UNC this year, and I guess FSU if they keep playing the way they have) and none of them are as awful as Rutgers or Kansas as consistently as they are.

ACC scheduling is still trash because we want to be like the SEC, but the conference is just full of solid okay teams. We won't look as great because we eat each other up generally speaking. Gonna be 10-12 bowl teams coming out of the ACC this season imo.

I don't think any of the p5 conferences are garbage. There are schools that are garbage, but just about all of the p5 have legit top 10 teams, some solid ranked teams, some bowl-quality teams, and a or two team that is going to top out at 2-3 wins total.

Remember that Kansas was a top 10 team a little over a decade ago. Baylor at one point had only 3 wins in 8 seasons. FSU and Virginia Tech were doormats for a good part of their history. Hell, Alabama went through the Shula era.

This stuff changes year-to-year.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Here y'all go, Saban losses at Alabama:

2007 Georgia
2007 Florida State (in Jacksonville)
2007 LSU
2007 @ Mississippi State
2007 Louisiana-Monroe
2007 @ Auburn
2008 Florida (SEC Championship Game)
2010 @ South Carolina
2010 @ LSU
2010 Auburn
2011 LSU
2012 Texas A&M
2013 @ Auburn
2014 @ Ole Miss
2014 Ohio State (CFP National Semifinal)
2015 Ole Miss
2016 Clemson (CFP National Championship Game)
2017 @ Auburn

Almost from memory. I always forget that '07 FSU loss.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kayakyakr posted:

I don't think any of the p5 conferences are garbage. There are schools that are garbage, but just about all of the p5 have legit top 10 teams, some solid ranked teams, some bowl-quality teams, and a or two team that is going to top out at 2-3 wins total.

Remember that Kansas was a top 10 team a little over a decade ago. Baylor at one point had only 3 wins in 8 seasons. FSU and Virginia Tech were doormats for a good part of their history. Hell, Alabama went through the Shula era.

This stuff changes year-to-year.

I wonder, if you threw out the top two teams of each conference and the bottom two of each conference, if P5 inter-conference matchups would be somewhere around .500. That is sort of my guess but who knows.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Ever since I bought :razorback: and :razorfront: my Hogs have been cursed

Petrino had us in the Sugar Bowl... :smith:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

D.N. Nation posted:

Here y'all go, Saban losses at Alabama:

2007 Georgia
2007 Florida State (in Jacksonville)
2007 LSU
2007 @ Mississippi State
2007 Louisiana-Monroe
2007 @ Auburn
2008 Florida (SEC Championship Game)
2010 @ South Carolina
2010 @ LSU
2010 Auburn
2011 LSU
2012 Texas A&M
2013 @ Auburn
2014 @ Ole Miss
2014 Ohio State (CFP National Semifinal)
2015 Ole Miss
2016 Clemson (CFP National Championship Game)
2017 @ Auburn

Almost from memory. I always forget that '07 FSU loss.

The crazy thing about that LA Monroe win is it wasn't vs a good coach.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rick posted:

I wonder, if you threw out the top two teams of each conference and the bottom two of each conference, if P5 inter-conference matchups would be somewhere around .500. That is sort of my guess but who knows.

I'd guess that would be true.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

THERE IS ALWAYS MORE AND IT IS ALWAYS WORSE. JFC. BURN THIS poo poo TO THE GROUND

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/Huskers/status/1042881357121118208

OK, cool, bring the band up too

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lol apparently Florida has only sold 2600 of their 7500 ticket allotment for this weekends game

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Everyone else wants to preserve their ACLS

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Everyone else wants to preserve their ACLS

:thunk:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Ever since I bought :razorback: and :razorfront: my Hogs have been cursed

Petrino had us in the Sugar Bowl... :smith:

:razorfront: is god's work for the actual text string joke alone

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
LSU - Florida has produced quite a few high quality games. Why would you want to get rid of that series?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol apparently Florida has only sold 2600 of their 7500 ticket allotment for this weekends game

We can suffer through it at home with a handle of Dickel, thanks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Some juicy Auburn rumors:
TE Jalen Harris left the program and maybe Nate-Craig Myers and his brother are going to leave too.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Spacebump posted:

The crazy thing about that LA Monroe win is it wasn't vs a good coach.

I can’t describe how buck wild shulas players were that Saban inherited. They thought they were the hottest of poo poo and were into all kinds of nonsense. That first year was a crazy transistion

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I might be late to the party here but I swear I just heard an AAC commercial refer to itself as "a power six conference", is this a new thing?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Seaniqua posted:

I might be late to the party here but I swear I just heard an AAC commercial refer to itself as "a power six conference", is this a new thing?

They did. It's been part of their branding for the past 18 months or so. They've been using P6 since at least last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

Power conference at basketball, sure. But football? :thunk:

• Locked thread