Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Cross post from the Fix it quick questions thread.

Wrr posted:

Got a DSLR camera lens which seems busted; the bit that turns to adjust focus / magnification won't turn (feels jammed) and uh, also this piece is rattling around inside.

How broken is this? Could I open up the lens and try to reseat it? More pictures needed? Please advise.

It is a mystery to how this may have happened, and any relation to me knocking the camera over while high is purely conjecture.

Update: piece that is bouncing around in there:

Wrr fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thats really really impressive work. Good job dude

Did some more work, the loose piece is this flare cutter, which looks like it opens the aperture on the front of the lens? The real problem is that the camera is stuck at 55, max zoom, and I can't get it to move. Not sure how much of this lens I need to dismantle to get to the parts I need to get to. I'm looking at needing to desolder a few bits, which I don't love.

Removed Straight Keys

Zoom now moves half of its range, but it appears that its out of sync with where it should be

Like, the dots and indicators are moving in sync with the silver / gold contacts section, but the lens itself is out of wack. When I first had this problem I was manually rotating the lens itself trying to figure out why it was moving but the zoom adjustment ring wasn't, so I think I did some damage there. Need to keep digging to figure it out, but any tips would be massively helpful. This is uh, my first camera and I've yet to take photos with it.

Edit: Got the second lens group out, placed the flare cutter back on where it looks like it should be. The mechanical aspect of the zoom now has a full range of movement. What is interesting is that it goes out, in, and back out as I move it through the range. I assume that is normal, but it did surprise me.

https://imgur.com/a/kWsTRua
Video of it in motion. So, I think I can start to reassemble things; should I have the zoom set to one extreme or the other as I do this?

Wrr fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 5, 2021