Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I came across the idea of Artist Trading Cards recently, and really like the idea, so I figured I'd put together a goonlist.

What's an artist trading card?
At the start of each month, I'll randomly assign everyone a goon, and email you their name and address.

Then you make a 2.5" x 3.5" (ie, playing card size) bit of art, write your username on the back (and sign it, write a message, whatever), and mail it to your assigned victim goon.

Then you get a bit of art from another goon in your actual real mail. Rinse and repeat, and end up with a collection of cards.

I am literally blown away by this idea, how do I sign up?
Email me your username and what address you want your art sent to, and I'll add you to the list. I know giving out your actual IRL address is a bit 'omg doxx', but it's not like I can be less trustworthy than amazon, right? :ninja:

Email to: Groverhaus@caramail.com

I dunno, I'm not so great at art...
No worries! This is for fun, and the more people we have the better it'll be for everyone, so give it a shot.

Oh Emm Gee, I have the best idea, can I...?
Do what you want, as long as it's the right size (so people can keep a collection together) and you can get it through the mail. Any medium, any subject, whatever your horrible little mind can come up with. If you want to write a short story, go for it. Engrave a bit of metal? Sure.

Ugh, art is :effort: and I'm not going to be able to do this month because life is haaaaard...
Write your excuse on a bit of card and send it, so the recipient can mock you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ill send you an email as soon as i can get around to buying some cards and stamps (and therefore convincing myself im not going to flake out), but can we put the stamp right on the card and still get it mailed?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I honestly have no idea, I imagine it varies from place to place. It's probably best to stick it in an envelope to be safe.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I'm in. Emailing now

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Sure, let's try this.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yes, I'm in!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
This is a really fun idea, count me in.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Very in for this.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Would we .. like, have the full month to fulfill the Thing or something like 2 weeks so people can still get theirs before the end of the month? Would there be themes? Theoretically. I'm just looking. I'm scared of commitment and also scared of life being hard.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Posted so they have it by the end of the month, but that still gives you like three weeks. No themes at the moment, maybe later if people want them we can add a (probably optional) theme.

Join us!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Right, everyone should have an email telling them who to send it to. I sent the first few from another address by mistake [ratqueen@...], but it's still me. Don't forget to put the country on the address when you're posting international, like I keep doing.

Any questions?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I'm really excited about this! I can't wait for the first card!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Measured and cut a bunch of 2.5"x3.5" cards out of heavy drawing paper last night, let's do this!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Al! posted:

ill send you an email as soon as i can get around to buying some cards and stamps (and therefore convincing myself im not going to flake out), but can we put the stamp right on the card and still get it mailed?

The simple answer is "no". At least not at the size stated in the OP.

https://pe.usps.com/businessmail101?ViewName=Cards

Edit: Having said that, you can buy some of these, and they meet the minimum size requirements for a postcard:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/1397827/Office-Depot-Brand-Blank-Index-Cards/

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 4, 2018

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
Ok, that's mine drawn and posted! Enjoy, mysterious art recipient!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Finished drawing mine. Will print and send out soon.

That said, what's the policy on posting the art online? Can I post it (here or otherwise) or should I wait until it has been received?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Seems fair to give the recipient first look, but once they've got it (or after a week or two after you post it), go for it.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Printed, cut, posted. Hope it makes it across the atlantic safe and soon!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
My card has now been posted. Can't wait for it to be received!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Sent my card out around Oct 5, hope my person received it.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Post pics of your card ITT if you've received it!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I finished my card but can’t mail it until Monday when I’m no longer on vacation. I tried a medium I’m not great at so I hope the recipient likes it!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:woop: My card arrived! Thanks, Johnny-on-the-Spot!

I love the Creation of Adam reference in such a grungy context. Was the original digital or hand painted? I'm guessing digital from the wallpaper pattern, but other than that I'm not sure.

Also, how did you trim the corners on the card? I'm well impressed with the production on it.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Thank you! It's a digital painting. I used a corner punch (like the one below) to make the rounded edges.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've never seen one of those before - might have to grab one.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I got my card from Shinemra, Thank you!

I do really like it!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Glad to hear! :unsmith:

The digital version can be found here now.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That is super cute. Hella nerdy, but cute. :)

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

lofi posted:

That is super cute. Hella nerdy, but cute. :)

At some point, I'd really love to do a magic or yugioh thread where it's encouraged to cheat and make your own custom cards, and this is just a sweet reminder of that idea for me. Also, Lofi, did you get the wax stamp I sealed the envelope with, or did the post office scrape it off?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I got it intact! First time I've ever got a letter with a fancy seal like that, very cool.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Whybird posted:

Ok, that's mine drawn and posted! Enjoy, mysterious art recipient!

Received! Thanks Whybird, love it!

I made sure that Krispy Wafer received my card, and it sounds like they're busy, so I'll go ahead and post the card I sent them.

(sorry for lovely phone pics)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

How we doing on the cards? Has anyone not received theirs yet?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I haven't received anything yet.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
I still haven't gotten anything.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Mine is in the mail as of last Tuesday but I haven't received one yet

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well that's not great. Fucken goons. I'll drop an email to the people sending them to y'all tomorrow, give them a kick up the arse.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Well holy poo poo I certainly did not expect something like this!

That's an amazing homer, Hungry Medusa! Thank you so much!

I put it in my display case along with my other collectible knicknack so that it's well protected from dust.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

drat, that is sweet!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Impressive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Yay, I am glad it made it! My post office workers were kind of confused about what I could or couldn't send in an envelope and it didn't inspire confidence.