Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, imgur works well.

e: ffs, I always get the most boring snipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Recently I've been getting into acrylics and I realized that a painting I'm working on fits the monthly theme perfectly, getting pumped to put more work into it and turn it into a card :dance:

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Should I go ahead and post it? I kinda wanted to explain it anyways since I'm not confident it conveys the message I wanted it to.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
Sure, if you want! I’m neck deep in wedding planning and haven’t had time to make a flat lay and post.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Congratulations! That can be incredibly stressful, but rewarding task, and I wish you luck and hope I can do just a little bit to ease your burden.

So for ritual I decided to go with an OCD theme.

I totally forgot to do the reflexion of the soap bottles, but I can bs myself by saying, "It examplifies never felling clean, despite the rigorous hand washing ritual." So, you know, hooray for happy little accidents!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Wow, you sure don't make life easy on yourself, do you? That's one hell of a tricky composition!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
If I'm not challenging myself I tend to get bored. That being said I really need to work on my process more. I tend to only do one good sketch, and immediately just start throwing value down as to fill up space without thinking about perspective and stuff. If I just took my time, paced myself, blocked out stuff, and really planned ahead, I'd probably be a lot happier. But I'm more of sprinter and not a marathon runner.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

But I'm more of sprinter and not a marathon runner.
Something, something, joke about your prowess in the bedroom.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Sent mine for February out today. Still haven't received the one for January, unfortunately :(

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I have poked your sender-goon.

Today I received a very cool letter with another letter inside. Thanks, Crocobile, the mini-envelope is super cute, but I don't think you need to do that for international post. :cheeky:

It's hard to see on the scan, but the seal is of a bee. I don't know if that's any connection to the totally-not-a-body being dragged off to totally-not-a-shallow-grave in the forest, but it sure coordinates well!

Thanks for the card!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I'm guessing the envelope inside an envelope is just a convenience to the post office. They don't really like the wax stamp because it prevents the envelope to be machine sorted (as it needs to be a flat surface to not jam.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I got my card last week.

And I'm actually mailing out my contribution before March, which is pretty good for me.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Did my card not arrive yet? I sent it out over a week ago, and it was European priority post.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

lofi posted:

I have poked your sender-goon.

Today I received a very cool letter with another letter inside. Thanks, Crocobile, the mini-envelope is super cute, but I don't think you need to do that for international post. :cheeky:

It's hard to see on the scan, but the seal is of a bee. I don't know if that's any connection to the totally-not-a-body being dragged off to totally-not-a-shallow-grave in the forest, but it sure coordinates well!

Thanks for the card!

Yay I'm glad it got to you safely! I was afraid if I sent an envelope that tiny it would get lost in the mail, but it was too cute and appropriate not to use. :kiddo:
I bought a wax-sealing kit and by god, I will use it at every opportunity!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
So these arrived!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hmm, I wonder who those could possibly be from? ;)

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Yay! Here's the full version of that most recent one. I hope it fits the monster theme well enough.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Nice! I really like the texturing.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's March! I'll sort new targets (and a theme) tonight, is anyone still missing their card for Feb?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

It's March! I'll sort new targets (and a theme) tonight, is anyone still missing their card for Feb?

Nothing came in yet... but nobody posted about receiving mine either.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Ain't got anything or I would've posted about it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Haven't gotten one for Feb... but also haven't sent mine yet. :smith:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hmm, ok, would people rather delay a week to give stuff time to show up? This idea falls apart if people aren't receiving cards, I'm not sure what to do really.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
Yes, please delay a week!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I also have not received or sent Feb.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
My card has been sent but I haven't received anything.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

My card has been sent but I haven't received anything.

I’m going to work on yours during my lunch break tomorrow. Should be there by this weekend.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I got mine last night! I’ll post it when I get home from work. :)

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Ahhh sorry this week has been a little nuts, meant to post earlier.

Thank you Whybird!! Look at this dire hermit crab, exercising its squatter's rights!

I hope more people get their cards!

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

I'm really excited I found this thread, I love ATCs and have been making them since 2017! :dogcited:

Can I join? Is it too late for March? I will email now.

I'm going to share an ATC group I'm a a part of that's focused on hand illustration (no collage, no digital). It's a little more :effort: required kind of group. But if you're into art and ATCs and drawing and poo poo, definitely check it out. I've been a part of it since 2017. It's a different monthly theme, and 3 card minimum, no low effort, and you get 3+ cards back - in a curated trade by 1 very organized person - based on effort, style, quality, topic.

ATC It Up With Friends group on Instagram. See hashtag #atcitupwithfriends https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/atcitupwithfriends/
It's run by @pabkins See https://www.pabkins.com/blog for more info on how to join/how it works.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ah! If you have more experience of these, perhaps you can help? We're struggling at the moment with communication - people either aren't getting or aren't posting that they've received their cards, and it's all getting a bit tangled up. Is there a 'usual' way to keep track of this stuff?

What I've been doing is just randomising the list order and emailing a 'target' to everyone each month, and letting people deal with it themselves, is there a better solution?

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty
I just sent mine out [to HungryMedusa] (sorry for the delay)! I also haven't received mine yet, but I also just discovered I have my address wrong (I used my partners PO box, which. Doesn't need a street address?.) I'm going to chat to the post office tomorrow, presumably they'll find it when I explain my mess up.

shrimpwhiskers fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 11, 2019

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Shrimpwhiskers, I got you this month, and the card hasn't been sent back to me, so hopefully the post office has it.

Also I'm a bit worried Ben Nerevarine never got the December cards I sent (late), as it never showed up in thread.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I finally have my Feb one done and will send it out tomorrow!

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

lofi posted:

Ah! If you have more experience of these, perhaps you can help? We're struggling at the moment with communication - people either aren't getting or aren't posting that they've received their cards, and it's all getting a bit tangled up. Is there a 'usual' way to keep track of this stuff?

What I've been doing is just randomising the list order and emailing a 'target' to everyone each month, and letting people deal with it themselves, is there a better solution?

With my other other group, everyone mails their card + 1 stamp + a sticker/piece of paper with their address to one person. They do the swap, using the stamp for postage and the address sticker/paper to speed things up (so you don’t have to write out however many addresses). And then you mail the cards back to everyone.

That also means only 1 person is the holder of all addresses.

That also means that nobody goes without. So if someone made a card, they are guaranteed to get a card back, since the swap happens with all the cards present.

Our swapper has a deadline that the cards must be received by. If they’re past the deadline then they get pushed out to the next month or into an extras supply (to make up for lost mail and such).

It is a lot of work to swap them all though, I guess depending on how many people you have. In my other group it’s an average of 70 people so it takes some time. Cards must be in her hands by last day of the month and then she swaps and mails them out by 15th next month.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Nice system, but how do I send a US postal stamp when living in the Netherlands? (answer: paypal some money)
But seriously, this sounds like it would work.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

PayPal could work, as long as I can match usernames to payments. It sounds like a good plan, I'll look at setting it up this evening.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

But that'll mean I now pay twice the postage for each card and each card will take two deliveries instead of one. No thanks.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Shinmera posted:

But that'll mean I now pay twice the postage for each card and each card will take two deliveries instead of one. No thanks.

It also means a guaranteed card if you send one out and you yourself will still only do one delivery. Not arguing with the added cost, but emphasizing the benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Keetron posted:

Nice system, but how do I send a US postal stamp when living in the Netherlands? (answer: paypal some money)
But seriously, this sounds like it would work.

Yes I believe that’s what you’d have to do.

It does cost slightly more, than just 1 delivery. In the US, it’s just 1 more forever stamp for me so I haven’t been too bothered. But if you’re paying for international that could be a lot, I’m not sure.

Also the trader would need to supply envelopes, so that’s an added cost. Our trader does this. She also takes donations from the group for a general supplies fund, for the envelopes or missing postage, stuff like that. We also end up with fun stuff in the envelopes, like some people make stickers and send them in or extra cards, or small art prints.

Also yes the main benefit is everyone is guaranteed a card. I would definitely feel cheated if I made a card, sent it to my person, and they didn’t send me poo poo.