Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think the current system is probably fine. We're having a little trouble getting the hang of it, but we'll figure it out.

And to the Goonette in California who got my February submission, I hope it's arrived. It went out from the corporate mail room 2 weeks ago and the fact no one's mentioned receiving it means I I shouldn't send personal mail from work anymore.

Actually, I'm not sure if anyone has received my last two cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think the current system is probably fine. We're having a little trouble getting the hang of it, but we'll figure it out.

That's kind of the problem. There's 14 people on the list, and a hell of a lot fewer than 14 posts about receiving cards each month.

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty
I'd be down for donations to a general envelope fund - although I have no clue about anything international shipping related so no help on that. Also, Johnny on the Spot, my post office said with the way I wrote down my address it should still arrive just fine. So just snail mail being snail.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Krispy Wafer posted:

And to the Goonette in California who got my February submission, I hope it's arrived. It went out from the corporate mail room 2 weeks ago and the fact no one's mentioned receiving it means I I shouldn't send personal mail from work anymore.

I got your February card on the 28th.

BEHOLD, WAFER GLORY!!:

Johny-on-the-spot, my apologies for the delay. February card is going out today.

durrneez fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 11, 2019

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
No worries durrneez, I'm looking forward to receiving your card!

Bad-rear end Tiger Wafer!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

lofi posted:

That's kind of the problem. There's 14 people on the list, and a hell of a lot fewer than 14 posts about receiving cards each month.

I think that the problem right now is that we’re lacking in accountability. There aren’t any consequences for not sending a card or sending one super late, like myself.

For reddit gift exchanges, participants self-report if they’ve sent or received their item. If a gifter doesn’t send one or has multiple offenses, then that gifter is barred from any subsequent exchanges. Also, there’s a pool of people who volunteer to be others’ backup gifters in case someone’s original gifter bails.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

OK, we'll give it a go with accountability rules, I'll ask people to mail me when they send and recieve cards. If that doesn't work, we'll have to switch to the other system.

I got notice from my landlord that he's booting me out of my house of nearly a decade so he can sell it, so this month's theme is REVOLUTION.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've managed to gently caress up my spreadsheet!

Krispy Wafer, please could you email me, I've managed to overwrite your email adress with Keetron's, which has meant I've mailed them three times. :downs:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Well hey, I got a card today! It's Krispy Wafer's January card that finally arrived, and it's got some nice ritualistic dancing on it!

I really like how the lighter colours convey a sense of continuous movement.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Omg it’s beautiful!!!! :captainpop:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so it takes **checks calendar** 41 days for mail to reach Switzerland.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Finished my card for March today, will send it off tomorrow morning. Hopefully it won't take forty days to cross the ocean this time.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Please can you email me when it's sent, just so I'm only having to keep track of one place for info. :)

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

:ssh: I had already sent a mail before posting.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ta!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I got the best card from Shrimpwhiskers!

It's me! I love the detail in this so much. It warms my cold monster heart.

Life has come full circle. My user name is inspired by this lithograph I did in college which is the opposite of the card.

Shrimp, I want to buy a larger version of this card if possible. Shoot me a pm.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I got my card from durrneez yesterday!

I didn't see it was one whole image till I scanned it, great concept! Also the calligraphy for the address on the envelope was a really sweet touch!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Yay!!! It made it!!!

I was laughing with my husband after I sealed the pastel that I didn’t do a great job at creating height and size context; Slendy could be very tall or very small depending on if you interpret the trees as trees or as misshapen cake pops. ;)

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Let’s chat about technique!

Do you make a larger piece and then scale it to fit on the card, print, then ship? Or do you make your art directly on the card?

I cut the substrate (uh, i have no idea what the proper word is) into trading card size and then make my piece directly on the card. I then take a picture for the gram and send it off.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I used to draw directly on a card but the laminated nature of the blank playing cards made that too difficult. Sharpies were all I could use and those are unforgiving.

Now I do it all digitally, print it on 110lb cardstock, and cut it down to size. Everything was looking like rear end when I finished my March card last night until I realized I imported the original 2000x2000 sized image into Photoshop at 150dpi. You need at least 300dpi to look good, even on a small playing card.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I draw digitally, then turn it into a calendar card and lay it out on A4 using InDesign. I then print it using the laser colour printer at home with 200g/m2 paper and cut it up. I used to go to a print shop, but it's tedious and too expensive for what they offer.

As for the digital format, make sure to use at least 300dpi (standard home printer resolution) and convert to CMYK colour space -- preferably using the profile of your printer, though home printers often don't have a colour profile file available.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Last month I used 300gr Bristol board and cut it to size and then drew on it with pencil, fineliner and marker.
This month I have blank playing cards and a prompt that leaves me blank so one card is ruined with a bad sketch and I am not sure what to do next.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I have been making them all originals with acrylic markers and or colored pencil on scraps of stonehenge paper I have lying around or matboard. In my regular art life I spend hours making a large original and sell prints of that, so making mini originals is a nice break for me.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Sometimes I might do a few thumbnail sketches on paper, but I mostly work on photoshop in grayscale, 300 dpi @ 3.75x2.75 for bleed. Once I've worked an image up to my satisfaction I'll make a press sheet in indesign and print.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Been a real slacker, but I'll be sending out my Feb and March cards tomorrow, assuming I can figure out how to get them printed to size at the UPS store.

In the meantime, thanks to HungryMedusa for this little lovely, love the touches of blue in this one

and thanks to Johnny-on-the-Spot who sent me a pack of FOUR cards for seemingly no reason other than being awesome

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 22, 2019

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Johny-on-the-Spot, is the D&D card your “monster” February card?

Thanks for posting, Ben Neverine!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
No, the D&D card was my December card that got sent late.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

durrneez posted:

Let’s chat about technique!

Do you make a larger piece and then scale it to fit on the card, print, then ship? Or do you make your art directly on the card?

I cut the substrate (uh, i have no idea what the proper word is) into trading card size and then make my piece directly on the card. I then take a picture for the gram and send it off.

I buy the packs of premade cards (you can get them on Amazon, by Strathmore, they sell bristol and watercolor ones, maybe others too) and just draw directly on them. I thought about doing digital, but I don't have a printer capable of art prints, so it's not worth it to go elsewhere to print them. I've also cut colored paper to size and drawn on that with gel pens, that's always fun too.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Mailed my card yesterday! It’s going within the US, so they should get it within a few days if USPS doesn’t fail.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It occurred to me I could lie and say I just got this since it traveled halfway around the world, but in reality I got it a week ago and suck.

Viva la revolucion!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Right, I've emailed the four goons I've not heard from... The problem with this system being whether I start doing April's cards, and try juggling multiple sets of email, assuming the silent goons are still up for it.

This is getting complex! :ohdear:

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

lofi posted:

Right, I've emailed the four goons I've not heard from... The problem with this system being whether I start doing April's cards, and try juggling multiple sets of email, assuming the silent goons are still up for it.

This is getting complex! :ohdear:

Gimme 6 weeks to get my life in order and I can help out with logistics. I used to be a math/science tutor for middle and high school students so I have no problem being stern.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Thank you Lofi for the cool card! (now I feel sorry for the goon receiving my card, it was terrible)

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty
I got my trading cards from funosaurus! Thank you!!! Also glitter!!!!!! (I literally dreamed about buying glitter last night, in case you're wondering the impact this has had on my crow brain.)

Also, extra goodies! Thanks especially for the little trading card sleeves, those are dope!

Do you mind if I ask where you got your business card made? (Business.... cardlette?) I love that it's smol and also ADORE that thick vinyly material.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Oh wow! Those are all very neat looking! I'm totally jealous, gonna have to step up my game.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I got my card today! It's a Wheel of Fortune that came with a pikachu!

For some reason, the pikachu is giving me major deja voux. Also, the back of it came with a nice little message but it wasn't signed so I'm not sure who to thank. Regardless, thank you for the cards!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sorry about the slight delay, all! Life is being a bit mad. April emails are sent, the theme this month is motion.

Whybird and HappySafer haven't sent their cards (or haven't responded to emails), so they're in the sin bin - I've removed them from the list, but I'll add them back on next month if they email me. Does that sound like a good solution to everyone? I'm open to suggestions.

shrimpwhiskers posted:

I got my trading cards from funosaurus! Thank you!!! Also glitter!!!!!! (I literally dreamed about buying glitter last night, in case you're wondering the impact this has had on my crow brain.)

Also, extra goodies! Thanks especially for the little trading card sleeves, those are dope!

Do you mind if I ask where you got your business card made? (Business.... cardlette?) I love that it's smol and also ADORE that thick vinyly material.

Wow, funosaurus, that's a hell of a package! :swoon:

lofi fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 9, 2019

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

shrimpwhiskers posted:

Yay I'm glad it all arrived safely! Sorry for glitterbombing, I couldn't resist.

The cards are from Moo.com. They have really good printing quality, and a lot of different types/sizes of cards you can choose, also good quality and price for greeting cards (I get them there every year). The cool thing about Moo is the artwork side of the card, - you can upload a different image for every card in your order. You can also order a free sampler pack, to see their different printing techniques, card sizes, and stuff.

Here is my referral link to Moo https://refer.moo.com/s/janestolyarova1 (I get Moo $ credit if you use it, but you also get 25% off)

lofi posted:

Sorry about the slight delay, all! Life is being a bit mad. April emails are sent, the theme this month is motion.

Whybird and HappySafer haven't sent their cards (or haven't responded to emails), so they're in the sin bin - I've removed them from the list, but I'll add them back on next month if they email me. Does that sound like a good solution to everyone? I'm open to suggestions.

Wow, funosaurus, that's a hell of a package! :swoon:

Thanks! I have a lot of prints and stickers and stuff like that and I really don't put the effort to sell any of it, so I just include it all in my mail trades :)

Also... I have not received my card yet :( Very sad, hope it comes soon.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Your goon has sent it, so hopefully it'll arrive soon - a lot of people are waiting on theirs, I guess the post is just slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty

Funosaurus posted:

Yay I'm glad it all arrived safely! Sorry for glitterbombing, I couldn't resist.

The cards are from Moo.com. They have really good printing quality, and a lot of different types/sizes of cards you can choose, also good quality and price for greeting cards (I get them there every year). The cool thing about Moo is the artwork side of the card, - you can upload a different image for every card in your order. You can also order a free sampler pack, to see their different printing techniques, card sizes, and stuff.

Here is my referral link to Moo https://refer.moo.com/s/janestolyarova1 (I get Moo $ credit if you use it, but you also get 25% off)

Thanks! I have a lot of prints and stickers and stuff like that and I really don't put the effort to sell any of it, so I just include it all in my mail trades :)

Also... I have not received my card yet :( Very sad, hope it comes soon.
Oh sweet! I got a sample pack from Moo in the past, but it was a few years ago so clearly they've updated their stock options now!
Also thanks, I love a good discount! Although first I need to revamp my logo...