Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I came across the idea of Artist Trading Cards recently, and really like the idea, so I figured I'd put together a goonlist.

What's an artist trading card?
At the start of each month, I'll randomly assign everyone a goon, and email you their name and address.

Then you make a 2.5" x 3.5" (ie, playing card size) bit of art, write your username on the back (and sign it, write a message, whatever), and mail it to your assigned victim goon.

Then you get a bit of art from another goon in your actual real mail. Rinse and repeat, and end up with a collection of cards.

I am literally blown away by this idea, how do I sign up?
Email me your username and what address you want your art sent to, and I'll add you to the list. I know giving out your actual IRL address is a bit 'omg doxx', but it's not like I can be less trustworthy than amazon, right? :ninja:

Email to: Groverhaus@caramail.com

I dunno, I'm not so great at art...
No worries! This is for fun, and the more people we have the better it'll be for everyone, so give it a shot.

Oh Emm Gee, I have the best idea, can I...?
Do what you want, as long as it's the right size (so people can keep a collection together) and you can get it through the mail. Any medium, any subject, whatever your horrible little mind can come up with. If you want to write a short story, go for it. Engrave a bit of metal? Sure.

Ugh, art is :effort: and I'm not going to be able to do this month because life is haaaaard...
Write your excuse on a bit of card and send it, so the recipient can mock you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I honestly have no idea, I imagine it varies from place to place. It's probably best to stick it in an envelope to be safe.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Posted so they have it by the end of the month, but that still gives you like three weeks. No themes at the moment, maybe later if people want them we can add a (probably optional) theme.

Join us!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Right, everyone should have an email telling them who to send it to. I sent the first few from another address by mistake [ratqueen@...], but it's still me. Don't forget to put the country on the address when you're posting international, like I keep doing.

Any questions?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Seems fair to give the recipient first look, but once they've got it (or after a week or two after you post it), go for it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:woop: My card arrived! Thanks, Johnny-on-the-Spot!

I love the Creation of Adam reference in such a grungy context. Was the original digital or hand painted? I'm guessing digital from the wallpaper pattern, but other than that I'm not sure.

Also, how did you trim the corners on the card? I'm well impressed with the production on it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've never seen one of those before - might have to grab one.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That is super cute. Hella nerdy, but cute. :)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I got it intact! First time I've ever got a letter with a fancy seal like that, very cool.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

How we doing on the cards? Has anyone not received theirs yet?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well that's not great. Fucken goons. I'll drop an email to the people sending them to y'all tomorrow, give them a kick up the arse.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

drat, that is sweet!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hah, yeah, I've had that one - just say 'art', it's simpler.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Everyone in for another round? I'll send out names/addresses this evening.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Shinmera, I'm having trouble sending mail to you - it's bounced a couple of times, sent from different accounts. Are you receiving other mails ok?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ignore me, reading is hard.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It did!

She's so happy, thankyou! :3

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yes, I will make a new list tonight! Who's still waiting on cards from this month?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

NO SUN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-J3nJerAyQ&t=243s

Oh yeah, you should all have your next victim marked on your email-map now.

e:

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

I still haven't gotten my cards yet but I'd like to another month.

I've emailed the goon responsible. It's one of the problems with the chain-letter format, you can do your thing and not receive one in return. Not much to be done about it other than :catstare: at the naughty goon.

lofi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 3, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I meant it as 'to be done for january', but apparently I'm the only one that made sense to, given my inbox. :cheeky:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Wow, that took it's sweet time arriving! Better late than never, I guess.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hey everyone, just a reminder about this month's cards - there's maaaaybe still time to get them out on time if you forgot about them in the christmas rush!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Baby Jesus is very disappointed in all of you. :colbert:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks for my metal as gently caress card, Ben Nerevarine! Time to put some black metal on and burn a church or two!

:black101:

I'll send out lists for this month's cards tomorrow.

e: How do people feel about trying an optional theme this month?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

January emails are out!

Because I spent last night watching strange people shouting at a cider tree to scare demons into bits of toast, the theme for this month is ritual. Interpret it how you will, and feel free to ignore it if you have a better idea!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've just got a 5mm one, but I've not really had a chance to use it yet and see how playing-cardy it is. I'm hoping to get this month's card done in the next couple of days, I'll post pics of the corners when it's done.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Anyone else missing December's?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Goddamn slacker goons. If we're doing this in a year's time, I think maybe we'll just skip december. ;)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Have people's cards been arriving ok? Everyone's gone awful quiet!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night, stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds, unless it's proper minging out."

It's the start of feb, so it's time to send out next month's emails. I'm a bit worried by how quiet the thread has been though, who's still waiting on cards?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Isn't he a delightful harmless clown? :commissar:

Coincidentally, this month's theme is monster, and I've just sent emails to everyone with your recipients.

Welcome to all the new people! :)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

A ritual to raise the dead.

Thanks, Durneez! :) I really like your use of PoV for this, very clever!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, imgur works well.

e: ffs, I always get the most boring snipes.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Wow, you sure don't make life easy on yourself, do you? That's one hell of a tricky composition!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I have poked your sender-goon.

Today I received a very cool letter with another letter inside. Thanks, Crocobile, the mini-envelope is super cute, but I don't think you need to do that for international post. :cheeky:

It's hard to see on the scan, but the seal is of a bee. I don't know if that's any connection to the totally-not-a-body being dragged off to totally-not-a-shallow-grave in the forest, but it sure coordinates well!

Thanks for the card!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hmm, I wonder who those could possibly be from? ;)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Nice! I really like the texturing.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's March! I'll sort new targets (and a theme) tonight, is anyone still missing their card for Feb?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hmm, ok, would people rather delay a week to give stuff time to show up? This idea falls apart if people aren't receiving cards, I'm not sure what to do really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ah! If you have more experience of these, perhaps you can help? We're struggling at the moment with communication - people either aren't getting or aren't posting that they've received their cards, and it's all getting a bit tangled up. Is there a 'usual' way to keep track of this stuff?

What I've been doing is just randomising the list order and emailing a 'target' to everyone each month, and letting people deal with it themselves, is there a better solution?