Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bloom Into You(Yagate Kimi Ni Naru, also occasionally translated as "Someday I will become yours") is a yuri romance anime being adapted from the ongoing manga of the same name, authored by Nio Nakatani.

Official Synopsis:

quote:

Yuu Koito doesn’t know how it feels to love someone. At her junior high school’s graduation ceremony, she received a confession of love from a boy, but she didn’t know how to reply. Now in high school, she meets Touko Nanami, a member of the student council who is turning down confessions because they don’t make her heart skip a beat. Because Yuu and Touko are having quite similar troubles, Yuu is frank about her problems with Touko, when suddenly Touko confesses: ‘I think I could fall in love with you.’

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yVedXph7Ig
PV2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tua7jvQgUs

Bloom Into You is among the most popular Yuri manga currently running, particularly now that Citrus has concluded, and deservedly so IMO. The series' strengths include expressive and endearing character art, careful and effective use of framing and visual storytelling, a cast of endearing and fundamentally sympathetic characters who grow and struggle realistically beyond their initial apparent archetypes, and a very deliberate, thoughtful, and empathetic tone. It's easily my favorite of the current big Yuri stories, due mainly to its ability to have a cast of fundamentally decent people who are all basically always acting in good faith and easy to root for, but keep brushing up against their own neuroses and those of the people around them. It's an intelligent, compassionate story about people feeling their way through adolescence and trying to discover the best possible versions of themselves and their relationships with each other. I'm very excited to see the story in motion.

The series begins airing on October 5th. The show will be streamed legally in most regions on HiDive starting the same day at 10 AM EDT. An english dubbed broadcast will be following behind the initial subtitled japanese by 3 weeks.

Cast - voice actor (other notable roles):

Yuu Koito - Yūki Takada(New Game!'s Aoba Suzukaze, Mitsuboshi Colors' Yui, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid's Elma)

A first year student who's never fallen in love before, and has come to assume that she's not capable of doing so. Touko Nanami confesses to her shortly after Yuu asks for Touko's advice in turning down a confession from a middle school friend, much to Yuu's confusion. Initially comes across as fairly naive and demure, but can demonstrate a surprisingly straightforward and mature outlook at times.

Touko Nanami - Minako Kotobuki (Sound! Euphonium's Asuka Tanaka, Aikatsu!'s Mizuki Kanzaki, K-ON!'s Tsumugi Kotobuki)

A second year student who's widely admired by her peers. Charming, beautiful, talented, and friendly, she is the star of the school and heir apparent to the departing student council president. Frequently confessed to, occasionally even by girls, but always politely declines any romantic overtures. That is, until she surprises Yuu with her own confession. As they become closer, Yuu begins to wonder if Touko is really as composed and capable as she appears...

Sayaka Saeki - Ai Kayano (Amanchu's Futaba Ooki, New Game!'s Rin Toyama, Bodacious Space Pirates' Ai Hoshimiya)

A second year student and Touko's closest friend, friendly rival, and eternal runner-up. Accustomed to being the only one Touko regularly confides in, she regards the sudden fondness Touko develops for Yuu with a mixture of curiosity and irritation.

Seiji Maki - Taichi Ichikawa (Kabukibu!'s Kurogo Kurusu, Hinamatsuri's Kengo Nakata, Gamers' male student C)

A first year student who joins the student council around the same time that Yuu does. A generally pleasant but not necessarily memorable sort, he occasionally provides some interesting advice for Yuu at unexpected times - though Yuu occasionally finds his curiosity to be mildly off-putting.

Other characters (no key art or VA information released yet)

Koyomi Kanou

One of Yuu's friends and fellow first years. A quiet, blunt girl with a passion for writing who soon finds herself involved in a certain student council project.

Rei Koito

Yuu's older sister, a college student. A caring and supportive sister, aside from her fondness for teasing Yuu. She takes a liking to Touko upon meeting her. In a happy and active relationship with a boy from college.

Riko Hakozaki

Yuu's literature teacher, as well as the advisor to the drama club.

Miyako

Manager of a small local cafe frequented by many of the cast, fond of serving tea and dishing out advice. Intimately acquainted with Riko.

Staff Information (Other notable works):
Original Work: Nio Nakatani
Director: Makoto Kato (Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation)
Series Composition, Script: Jukki Hanada (A Place Further Than The Universe, Sound! Euphonium, Love Live!!, Love Live!! Sunshine!!)
Character Design: Hiroaki Goda (Amagami SS)
Music: Michiru Oshima (Fullmetal Alchemist, Little Witch Academia)
Animation Production: TROYCA (Re:Creators, Aldnoah Zero)

:siren:Thread Rules:siren:
  • Don't be lovely/homophobic/whatever kind of rear end in a top hat crosses your fancy. No, doing it ironically isn't okay either.
  • Don't be weird
  • Manga spoilers are allowed behind spoiler tags until the anime covers them. Try to keep it to a reasonable level if possible, though. If the thread starts to look like a CIA document we'll see about creating a separate manga thread.
  • As a courtesy, discussion of material covered by recently released eps is encouraged to be kept behind spoiler tags until a reasonable amount of time after the episode airs. If that sounds fuzzy, well, it is. I don't want to take this rule TOO seriously, just use your common sense and don't post something akin to HOLY poo poo I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE WAS AN AXE MURDERER BEHIND THE SHED untagged if the axe murderer has literally just aired an hour ago and you're the only person who got to watch it.
  • Have fun.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Looking forward to this, hoping it lives up to the potential and the hype!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The one anime I'm going to watch for sure this season. Maybe. Probably.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I've been holding off on reading the manga, so I'm looking forward to this as my introduction to bloom into you.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
has someone drawn the cast eating a blooming onion?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The manga is one of my favorite and the anime PV looks good so gonna be on ground floor for this show

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The manga is one of my favorite and the anime PV looks good so gonna be on ground floor for this show
Yes! :neckbeard:

This is a pleasant surprise.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Oh hey it's the one anime this season I'm actually looking forward to

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When does this start airing and who is doing the subbing?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

iospace posted:

When does this start airing and who is doing the subbing?

I mentioned in the OP, but October 5th (with an early premiere this Saturday that I'm hoping finds its way into :filez: territory) and not sure yet. I'm reasonably confident that Crunchyroll will get the streaming license, and failing that the manga's popular enough that I'd be pretty surprised if no fansubbers pick the show up, but I haven't seen any hard commitments yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope this is one of those cases where they're animating it now because the manga is close enough to the end the author knows how it ends and they can cover the whole thing.

edit: probably not if it's just one cour, that would require covering 3+ chapters each episode, and they're not short.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 17, 2018

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Lessail posted:

has someone drawn the cast eating a blooming onion?

I'm stealing this idea if the first few episodes are good, and will motion track a video of this.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

I hope this is one of those cases where they're animating it now because the manga is close enough to the end the author knows how it ends and they can cover the whole thing.

edit: probably not if it's just one cour, that would require covering 3+ chapters each episode, and they're not short.

I don't think it's technically been confirmed to be one cour, but I'd be stunned if it isn't, just between explicit yuri still being rather niche and two cours probably being way too MUCH time for the material that's been written.

Anyway, you're probably right about the author knowing how the story's going to end at this point - volume 6 just ended and I wouldn't be at all surprised if volume 7 is the last, but yeah getting there in 12/13 eps or whatever it is is going to be a big ask, especially since I don't feel like there's any really satisfying stopping points until like the end of volume 5 at the earliest. Still, Jukki Hanada has a very strong track record doing series composition on stories like this one, and I've gotten the impression from Nakatani's twitter feed and online scuttlebutt that she's being relatively hands-on with the anime, so I'm reasonably optimistic that they'll figure out a good way to adapt the story without just abruptly stopping and flashing an ad for the remaining manga on the last episode.

Hopefully. :ohdear:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've been holding off on reading this simply because I have an absurd backlog of manga and books, so I'm really looking forward to watching.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i really enjoy the manga and am quite excited for a modern yuri anime that isn't an offensive pile of poo poo like ntr or citrus (haven't watched kaze-san yet, on the backlog). key visuals and trailers suggest they're going for a solid visual style here too so i think it will be executed well

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

i really enjoy the manga and am quite excited for a modern yuri anime that isn't an offensive pile of poo poo like ntr or citrus (haven't watched kaze-san yet, on the backlog). key visuals and trailers suggest they're going for a solid visual style here too so i think it will be executed well

You should definitely watch Kase-san, it's extremely good and only an hour long.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the three episodes i watched of citrus before i got distracted seemed epic, how citrus like is this show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Homura and Sickle posted:

i really enjoy the manga and am quite excited for a modern yuri anime that isn't an offensive pile of poo poo like ntr or citrus
Citrus isn't an offensive pile of poo poo, and the author of this manga both loves citrus, and also loves akuma no riddle and touhou incest doujins, so perhaps go elsewhere for your uwu non-problematic yuri.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I liked riddle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I liked riddle.

akuma no riddle rules.

anyway sincerely: citrus has tons of issues and the start of it is like, freaking weird, but it has an energy, excitement, and a genuine desire to explore how society's hosed up standards for women and lesbians lead to them internalizing lovely behaviors and weird self-images, to the point that they view even their own sexuality as a weapon to hurt other people with, and the process of healing through that through earnest, genuine companionship. It is totally fair to criticize it for its many missteps, but it is a manga written by a woman, enjoyed by lesbians, that is meant to explore genuine issues that affect lesbians, based on the author's experiences growing up in an all girls' school and having weird views of herself.

It's fine to call it messy, it's fine to call it stupid, it's even fine to call it trashy and bad, but calling it 'an offensive pile of poo poo' for not meeting the arbitrary standards works about lesbians have to live up to (mostly defined by men and straight women) is genuinely beyond the pale. Criticism is one thing, acting like it somehow sets lesbianism back is another.

Bloom into You can be good without tearing down things that are trying, in their own ways. We don't need to madonna-whore complex yuri manga.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

the three episodes i watched of citrus before i got distracted seemed epic, how citrus like is this show

Not very. I liked Citrus well enough, but I felt like a lot of the cast spent so much time being actively antagonistic that it was sometimes hard for me to root for anyone besides Yuzu, whereas here, like I said in the OP, I feel like everyone's pretty much always trying to be decent to each other but drama arises when their own hangups get in their way and clash in sometimes unpredictable ways. I'd also say Bloom has significantly fewer jokes in it and it's less overtly horny, though that's not to imply that it's some uwu Pure Chastity Fable like some yuri stuff.

Also seconding Endorph's request to please not start pissing matches over whose favorite show/manga is the most woke in this thread, start a discord channel or something if you simply must let that out somewhere.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 18, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also seconding Endorph's request to please not start pissing matches over whose favorite show/manga is the most woke in this thread

it's Sugar Wa Oshigoto and Double House

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most woke yuri anime is wixoss

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i did not realize it was beyond the pale to be offended by something that relies on incest and arguably sexual assault. i do not like those things, that is why i don't like citrus.

touko's behavior at points in bloom into you make me pretty uncomfortable as well but i guess to me at least it felt less problematically done, overall. both works (and obviously ntr) have issues about affirmative consent that i kind of wish they didn't, but imo with varying degrees of tact (ntr: the absolute worst way, citrus: pretty bad, bloom into you: a few ennnhhhhh moments). but that's just my opinion, i think calling discomfort with that element "beyond the pale" or woke for woke sake is a bit silly.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the most woke yuri manga is...............................................................................................

Gunjou

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said you could criticize it, just not call it an 'offensive pile of poo poo.' One is 'I didn't like this choice the author made,' the other is 'this work is offensive, as a whole.' Nowhere did I say you had to like Citrus or weren't allowed to be put off by its missteps. I just think the trend of telling people what works about lesbian do and don't have inherent value, really sucks.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

was this all a trap to get someone to ask in which jurisdictions non-blood related stepsiblings counts as incest

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
well, are you asking?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

well, are you asking?

I'd rather we not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

was this all a trap to get someone to ask in which jurisdictions non-blood related stepsiblings counts as incest
this post sucks.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If you have read Bloom Into You, do you think the anime is going to be a better experience? I'm getting curious enough to read the manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gmq posted:

If you have read Bloom Into You, do you think the anime is going to be a better experience? I'm getting curious enough to read the manga.
Not sure. The anime's director is pretty unknown and while it has a very talented screenwriter its unlikely there'll be any big changes or added stuff or anything, short of filling out a few scenes and general pacing changes to fit the format. The character designs and VA cast are both pretty strong, but I can't imagine it outright improving on the manga in a significant way. Overall, if you prefer animation as a medium go with that, but if not you can read the manga and be fine, probably. It's not the kind of thing with a lot of things that'd be really exciting to see animated, it's obviously a pretty slow, talky sort of experience.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gmq posted:

I'm reasonably hopeful. I usually prefer anime over manga given the same basic material myself, though obviously that'll vary from person to person, and like I said upthread I think Jukki Hanada's track record is more or less exactly what I'd want from the person charged with making the script play nicely with the new medium. Troyca isn't the most seasoned studio around, but I thought Re:Creators (whatever its other faults) consistently looked quite nice compared to whatever I might be tempted to call the baseline production standard for anime, and between how much I like the promo material and how heavily it's being marketed I get the impression that they're taking the project pretty seriously. The biggest question is the director, they (she?) only have one credit and it's on a show people seem pretty 'meh' about, but I've also gotten the impression that that show was working with pretty mediocre source material, which I obviously don't expect to be a problem here.

Tl;dr: It's not a 100% certainty that the adaptation turns out well, but I'd say there's more promising signs than red flags. Worst case scenario I hope it's at least piqued your interest in reading a very good manga!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i dropped the manga around when it looked like i was gonna focus on whatever the boy who was creepily obsessed with matchmaking the two leads' damage was because i just really, viscerally did not care is there anything after that point that would hook me if I was so so on it before then?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

i dropped the manga around when it looked like i was gonna focus on whatever the boy who was creepily obsessed with matchmaking the two leads' damage was because i just really, viscerally did not care is there anything after that point that would hook me if I was so so on it before then?

Probably not, I'd say the manga spends most of its run fleshing out and playing with the dynamic established in the last chapter of Volume 2, so if you didn't care about that then...

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
was that really that far in? I thought I only read like, 7 chapters. Huh.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

was that really that far in? I thought I only read like, 7 chapters. Huh.

Iiiiiiii think so? Lol.

If you haven't read to the end of volume 2, I really recommend doing so because it ends on one of my favorite chapters of the series, it's super well-done and crystalizes/sets the tone for a lot of what I find the most interesting about the story's core relationship. If you're not sold after that then you're probably not gonna get sold.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I don't think anything Big and Significant had happened with the main couple yet. There was this aside with the boy where he was talking about like, "it's better for me to assist with other people's romance, from the shadows" or something. Well, I'll take another look at it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

I don't think anything Big and Significant had happened with the main couple yet. There was this aside with the boy where he was talking about like, "it's better for me to assist with other people's romance, from the shadows" or something. Well, I'll take another look at it.

Yeah actually I think the bit you're thinking of is like mid volume 2. There's one more bit like that a little later I was probably confusing it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have mix feelings on this manga but I will watch the show because I really like theater later on and that should make some good episodes of an anime.