Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm all for yuri romance but I'd like to know just how much drama is in the manga/might show up in the anime? I don't mind it all that much, but I'm definitely in the mood for something that doesn't go too dark for the forseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I'm all for yuri romance but I'd like to know just how much drama is in the manga/might show up in the anime? I don't mind it all that much, but I'm definitely in the mood for something that doesn't go too dark for the forseeable future.

I'd say Bloom manages its tone very well IMO. There's some drama and some struggling with self-loathing/identity issues and such, but I wouldn't say the story ever really wallows in it for very long and you always get the sense that things are going to work out for the best in the end. I certainly wouldn't describe it as a terribly 'dark' series.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 19, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New PV, big excites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tua7jvQgUs

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There was an early premiere event for the anime today. No luck finding any video raws yet, but twitter buzz seems quite positive. Also, they announced that an anthology comic is in the works. No release date yet, but it'll be including guest chapters from Canno (A Kiss And A White Lily), Itou Hachi (Kindred Spirits On The Roof), and Mekimeki Oukoku (Toki, many many MANY doujins), among others. Sounds like a good time!

http://yurinavi.com/2018/09/22/yagakimi-ansoro/

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1044614515562872832

Sentai has acquired anime distribution rights, which isn't honestly a great sign. Means the show's probably going to be stuck on HiDive, and watching shows there has been an adventure recently even aside from the annoyance of needing another subscription if you want to watch legally. Hopefully a good fansubber group emerges or HiDive gets its poo poo together for this one.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Fffffffffff. I hope the translation manages to be a lot better than they did for Revue Starlight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It has much more straightforward dialogue at least

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It has much more straightforward dialogue at least

Yeah, it has the advantage of being much more grounded and, beyond that, not having critical dialogue delivered through song.

I'm more annoyed because I was hoping this could be the first real big breakout Yuri anime since Maidragon (which was a very different sort of thing anyway), but if it lands on HiDive or (god forbid) Amazon there's a big audience of people who only watch stuff on Crunchy who are likely to miss out. Alas.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1044977913500762112

HiDive it is. Thankfully there’s at least no major streaming delay like they’ve done for some shows. Just hope the subs are passable. Put the broadcast information in the OP.

Also a dubcast coming on a 3 week delay, for those interested.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 26, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dammit :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.hidive.com/stream/bloom-into-you/s01e001

Show's page is up on HiDive, under 12 hours out from airtime, get hyyyyyyyyyyyyype

Also HiDive has the show listed at 13 episodes, which is the closest thing I've seen to an official announcement regarding the show's length. Could just be a placeholder number, but probably isn't. There isn't enough manga to justify two full cours, but there's definitely enough manga 13 eps makes more sense than the more common 12. Probably as close as we could get to an ideal length.

Edit: Correction - it's 12 eps per this tweet: https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/1048061177698373632

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 5, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Episode 1 just aired, I'm extremely delighted with how it came together. Wish we could have covered all the way through chapter two, but going a bit slower makes sense for the first episode and I suspect the last scene of chapter 2'll be the first of the next ep, so whatever. Like I said, really delighted with how the first episode came together in terms of production - the VA's all sound how I'd imagined them, the art and animation are nicely detailed and fluid, and there's some small but effective tweaks to the script from the manga.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Loved the early 00/late 90's shoujo romance vibe. Been craving that without problematic romance and this has it. Real happy episode 1 was this way

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Slow relaxed pace with pleasant music. :3:

I've missed that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I still think some of the artwork and direction is kinda iffy, but this turned out better than I'd been worrying. The additions to the script here and there that either play with character traits early or just sketch in conversations a little more are nice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For the record, if anyone simply can't watch on HiDive for whatever reason, Asenshi is doing fansubs. They're usually quite good, I liked their subs for Little Witch Academia and Amanchu quite a bit.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

For the record, if anyone simply can't watch on HiDive for whatever reason, Asenshi is doing fansubs. They're usually quite good, I liked their subs for Little Witch Academia and Amanchu quite a bit.

HiDive still doesn't have a single app anywhere, do they? Like they're still just browser only?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

HiDive still doesn't have a single app anywhere, do they? Like they're still just browser only?

Looks that way. I wasn't able to find anything on their website or the ios app store, at any rate.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
There's the Android App. Don't have an iPhone so I can't say about ios.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks it's Android only bizarrely

Show definitely reminded me of something from the 2000's, the colour palette screamed Marimite at me (only actually gay this time).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Meant to share this yesterday, but:

https://twitter.com/yagakimi/status/1048778211717349376

The spinoff LN focusing on Sayaka is set to release on November 10th, and it appears to indeed be a prequel. Manga readers can probably guess what it'll be focusing on. Who knows when it gets licensed or fan-translated, but for any japanese-readers who might be interested there you go. As a sidenote, I believe it's not written by Nakatani like the manga is, but by Hitoma Iruma, author of Adachi and Shimamura.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 7, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/yagakimi/status/1050294934903738368

PV up for episode two. Looks like we're gonna cover more like two chapters today, which I kind of expect to be our usual pace heading forward. Expect to finish Volume 1 by episode 3, and volume 2 hopefully by episode 5 or so.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Looks it's Android only bizarrely

Show definitely reminded me of something from the 2000's, the colour palette screamed Marimite at me (only actually gay this time).

Oh no, I'm not sure I'm prepared to go through something like Marimite again. :ohdear:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't actually seen Marimite and dunno what your particular hangup might be, but this is very much in the category of yuri manga that only ever touches on Class S dynamics to go "yeah that sucks" and move on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How so? At the very least the main characters relationship is far too unambiguous to ever mark it as Class S.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

How so? At the very least the main characters relationship is far too unambiguous to ever mark it as Class S.

(vague spoils)
Another character's deal touches on it. Like I said it's minor and doesn't impact the active course of the story.

e: however I realize that this digression was prob not what they were talking about and that I've severely self-owned by being the first to go to this well

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 12, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1050732292849557504

This ED song’s a lot poppier than I expected, but I still wound up enjoying it a lot

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The train scene was 100% romance anime cliche but that probably became my number 1 favorite train scene by direction yes

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The train scene was 100% romance anime cliche but that probably became my number 1 favorite train scene by direction yes

It's such a good loving cliche though. :allears:

Watched episode 2, still delighted with how the adaptation is coming together. If we average 2, 2.5 chapters per episode going forward that'll be a really solid pace, the production is pretty solid, the directing is sappy and cheesy in all of my favorite ways, and I'm really delighted with how the voice cast is nailing their performances. Takada's Yuu is better than I expected so far - and I expected her to be pretty solid - and Kotobuki and Kayano as Touko and Sayaka are just flawless.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's such a good loving cliche though. :allears:

Watched episode 2, still delighted with how the adaptation is coming together. If we average 2, 2.5 chapters per episode going forward that'll be a really solid pace, the production is pretty solid, the directing is sappy and cheesy in all of my favorite ways, and I'm really delighted with how the voice cast is nailing their performances. Takada's Yuu is better than I expected so far - and I expected her to be pretty solid - and Kotobuki and Kayano as Touko and Sayaka are just flawless.

This really is classic shoujo romance anime and I'm glad it's leaning into it in the direction

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat that OP owns and the ED is pretty good too.

Gotta admit after the first episode I was worried about how cheapish it looked but episode 2 more than made up for that.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I reaaaaally liked the way they animated the photo scene.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stuff like that and the train passing kiss are so visually dramatic that it kind of makes me laugh, but they're also genuinely good ways of getting across the impact of moments that in the manga were communicated through the stylization of single panels.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

Stuff like that and the train passing kiss are so visually dramatic that it kind of makes me laugh, but they're also genuinely good ways of getting across the impact of moments that in the manga were communicated through the stylization of single panels.

Yeah, I've seen a few takes about how the visual direction is a little much and I can't entirely disagree, but I'm generally much happier with a director who's trying too hard than with one who's not trying hard enough, and that only goes double for material like this.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://seiyuuplus.wordpress.com/2018/10/15/191-yagate-kimi-ni-naru-part-1-takada-yuki-kotobuki-minako/

This person’s translated the first half of an interview with Kotobuki and Takada, some really good stuff here. Just beware some very mild spoilers regarding a minor event from mid volume 2 of the manga

Edit: And part two's up on the same blog. They get a bit freer with manga spoilers here, so anime-only followers beware.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 16, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The two leads are also doing a promotional radio show, which I’ve recently discovered is being summed up on Reddit. Good stuff, seems spoiler-safe: https://www.reddit.com/r/YagateKiminiNaru/comments/9pcdq5/bloom_into_you_radio_02_october_18/

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Episode 3 was fuckin' great. Really loved how they fleshed out Yuu's campaign speech from the manga version, and Kotobuki and Takada were both fantastic today in this week's big Yuu/Touko talk. Really pleased with the directing, too - as hammy as it can get during some of the big moments, I feel like this week in particular demonstrated a real eye for the small gestures. So important for a story like this. I struggle to imagine a significantly stronger adaptation of this first few eps than what we've gotten.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really liked that they kept the bit where Yuu's sister teases her about the souvenir. :3:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rei's great in general and I'm rather sad that we probably won't hit her best chapter in 13 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This was probably the best directed episode just for some great shot framing and visual yes