Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yuu promising Touko 'I can't fall in love with you' instead of 'I won't fall in love with you' is fairly inconsistent with what we've seen of her inner feelings to this point, to say nothing of what comes later IMO - and a more critical error is in the post-credits, where Touko says "If Yuu were ever to change, I wouldn't love her any more" instead of doing what every manga TL I've ever seen does and translating it as "If I were ever to change, people would stop loving me." Really incensed at that one tbh - where the manga TL emphasizes that Touko, on a fundamental level, does not see herself as worth loving and is terrified of accidentally driving Yuu away, the HiDive subs make it look like she's some creepy posessive weirdo who's conciously, deliberately attempting to ensnare Yuu somehow - reflects awfully on her as a character based solely on a stupid subject change.

Hey Spiritus Nox, thanks for this comment! I just sort of binged through the series and was checking to see what the thread said about it.

It's really too bad that the fan subbers dropped the ball on that line, it really twists Touko's character around until the finale episodes where they make Touko's opinion of herself and her relationship more explicit. I was going through the material at that point with anxiety that it was Touko's intention to leave/grow bored with Yuu if she 'fell in love' with her. Revealing Touko's anxieties about her self worth and social performance is extremely important at that scene. I'm really happy that the stakes are less high, because Yuu's reactions and actions make more sense in this context.

That was a great show, I loved how expressive all the characters were.

Putting up that blank wish was a wonderful scene imo.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU