Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Argue posted:

Just finished and yeah geez that went by quickly. Every ep felt like they ended in a flash but each episode was actually longer than a traditional 22 minute broadcast cartoon episode.

Anyway, good season; I think it was better than the first! What little there was of it, anyway. I'm not sure I buy that Callum can learn magic just like that (surely other humans have had epiphanies like this before?) but if it's a result of having that cube I can accept it. Too early to say but I'm not sure I like that we're getting a transparently evil villain whose presence I really hope isn't going to culminate in a "put aside our differences to team up against a common enemy" ending. Last thing, I'm a bit annoyed that this is the second time they built up Viren to be a multifaceted antagonist only for him to end the season with "what if Jafar and the Night King had a child".

It really isn't that implausible that Callum would be the first human to discover the secret to learning primal magic without an inborn connection. It's not at all uncommon for people to assume something to be utterly impossible after a couple of failed attempts - just look at how much of the science and technology we take for granted today was once written off as wild fantasy.

Though I don't know if I entirely agree with how they've handled the morality of dark magic. With the rock monster, it's one thing to argue if it's really okay to kill one intelligent lifeform to save many many people. But when thousands of people are are in imminent danger of starving to death, that's generally not the right time to be preaching about hard work and not taking shortcuts and so forth. And yes, if they're going to have Viren go from "willing to do morally questionable things to help others" to "garden variety Evil Overlord", they really ought to offer some logical explanation. At this point, the only one I could think of would be if long-term exposure to dark magic turns people into assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In addition, Dark magic is literally fueled by the deaths of living creatures and it caused untold death and misery ever since humans started using it and hosed over everyone on the continent so the elves have been massively prejudiced against human magic users ever since. They not only think humans can't do magic, they think that humans shouldn't do magic.

I was actually wondering if Callum's newfound magical ability might play a part in mending human/elf relations. It's fairly plausible that if they see a human doing magic without killing anything, some of them might possibly start to rethink their attitude towards humanity.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

mystes posted:

This simultaneously explains a bunch of different things in the show, so I think you are probably right.

It's certainly better than implying that it's somehow morally okay to kill animals for meat, but not to, for instance, cure a spinal cord injury.