Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A while ago I remember someone posting a cheat card that helped scoring / figuring out fu. Does anyone have a copy of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Schwarzwald posted:

A while ago I remember someone posting a cheat card that helped scoring / figuring out fu. Does anyone have a copy of that?

Dunno if it's the one that was posted, but there's the WRC Yaku List in PDF here: https://www.worldriichi.org/player-materials

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I posted my Riichi reference cards in this post, in case that's what you were recalling?

For completeness (and additional promotion), I'll re-post the links here:

In other news, I've been playing a lot of sanma lately, and ranked up to Master II. But at the same time, I've neglected my yonma game and ranked back down to Expert III.

While my deal-in rate and average deal-in score are okay, my win rate is well below what should be healthy. My call rate is also much lower than the average, and despite the fact that I favor the closed-hand lifestyle, my riichi rate is also lower than average. Hopefully my next advance from Expert III to Master I is faster than it was the first time, and that I can start figuring out ways to improve.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MrBlarney posted:

I posted my Riichi reference cards in this post, in case that's what you were recalling?

That's exactly it, thank you!

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I've been productive lately, and recently finished up an infographic guide on folding techniques in Riichi Mahjong:

You can also grab a higher-quality PDF of the primer here: (LINK)

A little background on the motivations for this project. I saw floating around a different infographic on defense in Riichi Mahjong, based off of the content in Daina Chiba's Riichi Book 1. So it had that book's tile tier list, a brief guideline on what tiers should be discarded at different levels of pushing, and some short descriptions of suji, blockades, and no-chance safety. But one big omission from that infographic was the concept of the safety of sotogawa (outside tiles) relative to early discards. There's a short blurb on relative outside tile safety in Riichi Book 1, but not much attention is put on the defensive concept. So there are two major goals of my own infographic: to increase awareness of relative sotogawa safety, and to provide some explanation for what makes defensive concepts work (albeit to less detail than a book would provide).

There's a reason why I've called my primer a guide on folding, rather than on how to play defense. First of all, I have focused the guide on techniques that help identify tiles that will be safer to discard, and excluded techniques related to identifying tiles that might be more risky to discard. This includes concepts like ura suji, matagi suji, and general discard and call reading. Additionally, I decided to not put any guidance on push/fold judgement, or what tiles are acceptable to discard at different levels of pushing. If I'm going to be putting out a guide that takes the form of an image, instead of a book, then there's a limit to how much information I can include in it. While those omitted topics might be useful, they'll also require a lot more space to cover satisfactorily. Ultimately, I feel like it's better to keep a tight focus and have a stronger thesis, than do the format I've chosen a poor service.

But maybe you disagree, and think that I should be adding an additional column or two of techniques to the infographic. Or maybe there's something in the infographic that you think needs adjustment. If you've got any comments to make now before I post it to a wider space on Reddit, I'm all ears.

MrBlarney fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 23, 2024

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
That's really cool, thanks for sharing!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I think I mostly play with all of that in mind already, and I did read that book you referenced, but it's really nice to see things laid out so nicely. Awesome!

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

Living the dream. Waiting for a north for 13 orphans in Sanma! Got a tsumo though before I could do the rudest manoeuvre.

Also, is one of you praying for me? Please stop. I'm getting too powerful.

Like I did a kan just out of the slightest chance I could tsumo a hellwait and it happened??!?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MajSoul 5th Anniversary live stream was today, all sorts of interesting facts came from it.

First up, a gift code! HAPPYANNIV

Next, player percentages per rank

(This makes my ranking feel a whole lot better for sure!)

Others:

Most used characters: https://imgur.com/3fOhTfX
Most bonded characters: https://imgur.com/NoBgtL1
Most owned characters: https://imgur.com/BIR6yPc
Most common yaku: https://imgur.com/vKiHPsb

Thanks reddit!

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Another success story for my interthread TPC make games accessible project: I decided to hop on to mahjong soul for a quick game to test how accurate I could be with my new eye tracker and the talon voice program which allows me to click by making a popping noise. Not only did it work great, I actually got a hell of a win off of a sweet seven pairs. Sometimes hubris doesn't kill Icarus, sometimes you fly close to the Sun and the sun gives you super cool Powers with its radiation

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Just started playing a few days ago and finally had a game i was happy with. Working on reducing my 81% call rate and managed to win this one by riichiing every round and never lost the dealer spot. I need to learn the discard strats because there's been plenty of games where it looked like i had a really good start with overlapping groups and i'm sure i managed to gently caress up trying to decide which tile is best to discard in 5 seconds.

Also had a game where this happened:

His name made me think of this

https://i.imgur.com/ipXSDTY.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

finally!