Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Stelas posted:

And Koizumi is the one where world leaders cheat their asses off while conducting politics via mahjong.

And Legendary Gambler Tetsuya is the one with the winning tension music to end all winning tension music that got a continuation in a PSX game that knew exactly what the audience for it would be~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Cessna posted:

To practice I use "HK Mahjong." It's a phone app. This is the closest I've found to the version my wife's parents play. The AI is decent, but not amazing. It's a good practice tool for learning the basics.

The big difference I notice is that the game artificially stops when there's a tile you could pick up - in real life, they just keep playing and if you missed it, too bad.

That's the app I'm playing too, it's decent enough. When you form one of the most advanced hands you feel like a god.

One day I need to learn the Riichi rules and play on Tenhou but :effort:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

:dawkins101:

I mean it's computer mahjong so who cares and I really made a mistake by calling riichi (that's a baiman minimum for sanankou + toitoi + dora 4 which you should never ever call riichi on) but still, come on, beaten by a double tanki wait where the 5s is unwinnable and one 2s is already on the board

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 9, 2018

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
is that a switch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dragon enthusiast posted:

is that a switch

Yeah its Simple Mahjong Online, you need to get it off the Japanese eshop

Also it's hard to find actual online play outside of Japanese peak hours but the interface is great if you can get around the Japanese

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Pity bump. I'm starting to play again. I finally took the 5 minutes to learn the Chinese characters for 1-9 so I can play Tenhou at work or on the app on my smartphone (Pretty nice app btw). (You have to take another minute to remember how to navigate the japanese menus). The extension makes things way easier, especially since I find the number in the corner of all the tiles makes all the suits easier to quickly identify (makes looking at discarded tiles way faster), but I suppose I should get used to how most sets look anyways. Anyways that discord is still up

https://discordapp.com/invite/gm5YpxD

I'm gonna try and get some custom games going. Most likely sat/sun afternoon or evening. I urge you to join.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Another bump. I played several games with my in-laws over the Holidays. I won enough hands to show that I was in the game, but lost enough to fall a bit short of breaking even.

Like a good son-in-law does.

Also, I watched the movie Crazy Rich Asians. There were a few lines that made me laugh.

quote:

My mom taught me how to play. She told me mahjong would teach me important life skills. Negotiation, strategy, cooperation.

This must be a very different version of Mahjong. The only cooperation I ever see is "let's make sure this other player doesn't win."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If you wanted to play Mahjong but thought "man, I'd only play this if it were a MMO minigame" then Final Fantasy XIV now has Japanese riichi mahjong at the Gold Saucer.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Argas posted:

If you wanted to play Mahjong but thought "man, I'd only play this if it were a MMO minigame" then Final Fantasy XIV now has Japanese riichi mahjong at the Gold Saucer.

Hype

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i spent 6 hours grinding a new account in ffxiv just so i could play mahjong

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I used to have a weekly mahjong group with some co-workers, and it was a lot of fun, but now almost everyone has moved away to different jobs. :smith:

But I found a mobile mahjong game, and it's actually pretty decent I think? I haven't played in like a year, so I'm a bit rusty, but it's fun. it's only AI, not multiplayer, so there's that.

It's Kemono Mahjong and it's.... a lil furry. Like as tamely furry as a furry thing has the restraint to be. I think it only uses riichi rules, but I've mostly played riichi anyhow (other than a couple times we played hk/canton).

I should definitely get back into ffxiv though!! mahjong is good and fun and I miss it, especially all the trash talking.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

What's the difference between "riichi" and typical Hong Kong Mahjong?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i'm not totally sure on the differences, but from what I'd seen: the flower/season tiles are more likely to be used (we played without them though), and you don't keep track of your discards, so no rules on winning off a previous discard. tiles just go into a pile in the center. no riichi bet, either.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Riichi also requires a hand to be valued at least 1 han (before dora), so just having a pair + 4x3 isn't always enough to win.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tamba posted:

Riichi also requires a hand to be valued at least 1 han (before dora), so just having a pair + 4x3 isn't always enough to win.

No chicken-feed-hand?

I like this idea.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
generally speaking Japanese mahjong places a huge priority on closed hands - several yaku are only valid with a completely closed hand or get -1 han from being opened, and the eponymous riichi yaku validates any mahjong hand as long as it's completely closed.

I was recently introduced to the aggregate stats page on tenhou, and I think it's pretty helpful for beginning players for a number of reasons - it shows which yaku are most common in winning hands, how often the yaku that deduct -1 han from being opened actually get opened up, and what the average overall hand value of the winning hand is.

http://tenhou.net/sc/prof.html

Make sure to switch the ruleset to E+S open tanyao red fives as well as select a non-novice lobby

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bump etc

If you can get past the internet humor this is a good yaku guide for beginners, (it skips the stupid rare ones which you shouldn't be worrying about when you're learning anyway).

https://osamuko.com/top-10-hands-you-should-re-memorize-if-you-ever-lose-your-memory/

(and like this page says, never, ever go for chanta. probably the worst yaku in the game when you compare its value and the difficulty in putting it together).

Cessna posted:

What's the difference between "riichi" and typical Hong Kong Mahjong?

Riichi has generally fewer yaku/patterns than HK/MCR mahjong, and has a scoring system that values closed hands more.

It also has orderly discards, rules against claiming a win on a prior discard, and generally prioritizes defensive/folding play more than HK/MCR.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of crazy rare yaku, *nearly* got ryanpeikou but more or less had to accept tsumo haneman

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

speaking of crazy rare yaku, *nearly* got ryanpeikou but more or less had to accept tsumo haneman

drat... painful to look at

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
re: that yaku frequency list, i'm pretty sure ryanpeikou and sankantsu (and *maybe* sanshokou doukou) are actually rarer than some yakumen. riichi scoring is not the most balanced thing in the world

tenhou has bakaze sha (yakuhai, west round wind) down there too but that's a silly one. in tenhou, west round is the sudden death round that happens if nobody has 30k points at the end of south4, which is rare.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 14, 2019

maseca
Mar 18, 2017

got into riichi through ff14 and it's a blast! how hard is it to run casual games on tenhou? is there like a discord for mahjong yet?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK so I got the basic rules started reading Akagi with a basic inkling of WTF's going on and won a few games in that flash game from the OP. Now I have additional questions (excuse the noobery):

- Furiten: is it a yes/no state, or tile-based? For example, if I declared riichi, have a 3/6man wait, and 3man is in my discards, can I still ron off someone's 6man discard, or are they both locked?

- Dora: it's just the next tile in the sequence after the shown tile, right? No multiples, no other tiles unless they're visible too, like after a kan? And do the ura-doras work exactly the same way, just secret until they're flipped after a win? Also when are ura-doras flipped anyway? Only after a tsumo?

ed: forgot one. If akadoras are in play and dora indicator is say, 4pin, does a 5pin count as double dora - once for the indicator tile, once for the akadora?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 19, 2019

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If you declare riichi, once you pass on a winning tile you cannot ron off of any possible winning tile afterwards. You can still tsumo, however. Occasionally you will see players do a furiten riichi if their wait is good enough that they can realistically expect to self draw the tile (or they are desperate enough).

Outside of riichi, anything in your pond is permanently furiten, and if another player discards a tile that completes your hand, you are temporarily furiten on all possible waits until your next draw. If your turn keeps getting skipped because of calls, you can remain in temporary furiten for a while.

Also furiten applies even if that tile would yield no yaku. Example: you have an open hand with a wait of 88p and two east tiles with your only yaku the east wind, draw another 8p, and discard it. Congrats you played yourself

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Outside of riichi, anything in your pond is permanently furiten, and if another player discards a tile that completes your hand, you are temporarily furiten on all possible waits until your next draw. If your turn keeps getting skipped because of calls, you can remain in temporary furiten for a while.

Also furiten applies even if that tile would yield no yaku. Example: you have an open hand with a wait of 88p and two east tiles with your only yaku the east wind, draw another 8p, and discard it. Congrats you played yourself

So let me see if I understood that:

- I cannot ron a tile if I have an identical tile in my discards, for any reason, even if I haven't declared riichi
- If I want to ron from a specific player I suspect is likely to have my tile, and someone else discards that tile before him, he's got a safe window because even if he discards the same tile as the player before him, I cannot ron that until I draw a tile.
- example: you mean a wait that would transform that hand into either 888pEE or 88pEEE, assuming the other tiles form some sets that give no yaku, and 888pEE would mean a complete set that can't be tsumo'd because of no yaku, so you have to discard that (and no other tile instead because riichi) and screw yourself over because you're now limited to an E tsumo?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
yes, the general ethos behind furiten is that you cannot deliberately target a player like that.

as for the example, what you would generally look to do after that situation is to break apart your pair of 8p and search for a different pair wait. Although you're a drat fool for opening up your hand so much in the first place for just one confirmed yaku

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Pierzak posted:

- Furiten: is it a yes/no state, or tile-based?

Furiten is a state that applies to you, not to tiles. If you have discarded any tile that would allow you to make a valid hand (even if you couldn't win with that hand because it has no yaku!) then you can't Ron ANY tile until you change your waits.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Are you furiten if you discard a double? If you had 6788 for example and you discard one of the 8s.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
if you discard down to 678 then you have a finished block, so there's no tile you're waiting on.

if you're talking about the wait pattern 6788, it's better to think of it as a pair of 88 and a block of 67 waiting on 5-8. If you draw another 8 and discard it then you will be furiten. if you instead discarded a 7, you now have a 888 block and a pair wait of 6, and would not be furiten. if you instead discarded a 6, you now have the complex wait of 7888 which can win on 6,7, or 9 and would be furiten.

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 27, 2019

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Cool thank you, I was just confused about completed blocks but that clears it up.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Am I in tenpai if I'm waiting for tiles that are demonstrably impossible to get, e.g. all 4 copies of my wait are in others' discards?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
depends on the ruleset, but usually yes except if all the possible tiles are in your hand e.g. you have a kan of 3p and have a wait shape of 12p. I believe if the kan was closed you would not even be allowed to declare riichi.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I've played riichi everyday since stumbling into this thread a few weeks ago, and I wouldn't have been able to get into it without some of the resources posted here. The Daina Chiba riichi book has been a gigantic help. I'm still terrible but it's been a lot of fun!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

hot date tonight! posted:

I've played riichi everyday since stumbling into this thread a few weeks ago, and I wouldn't have been able to get into it without some of the resources posted here. The Daina Chiba riichi book has been a gigantic help. I'm still terrible but it's been a lot of fun!

Nice. One day I swear we will organize a tenhou group. I started playing again during downtime at work. I took off the extension and can read the tiles and dragon characters on their own now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
old posts but regarding furiten questions

one rule of thumb to always remember: your hand is furiten, not a tile. if you can not call ron on a tile due to furiten, you can not call ron on any tile. the most common way this happens is if you have something like a final wait of 23p with 1p in the discard pile, and therefore can't call 4p ron.

second rule of thumb: you can always still win by tsumo when furiten (with the obvious caveat that you still need to have a yaku).

third rule of thumb: furiten applies to tiles which could complete a hand, as in give you a valid complete structure of four sets and a pair. it does not matter if you couldn't declare ron on that tile anyway because you have zero yaku. (the example case this applies to is if you have, say, 78p on a hand where your only non-riichi yaku is tanyao. you can't win on 9p because that violates tanyao, but if you draw and have to discard 9p, too bad, you're furiten.

Pierzak posted:

Am I in tenpai if I'm waiting for tiles that are demonstrably impossible to get, e.g. all 4 copies of my wait are in others' discards?

The general rule is called "shape tenpai", but in general, yes- basically, you can discount all your opponents discards/your discards/dora indicator when declaring tenpai.

In most rulesets, you can not wait on a "fifth tile" in your hand. Basically if you have a declared kan of 7777p and a final wait of 89p, you aren't tenpai because all four winning tiles are already used up in your hand. IRL, you would be chombo if you declared riichi on this. Note that this is tenpai on Tenhou, which is generally thought to be a bug.

Also: regarding furiten riichi: there are a few places where you might want to do this- one of the most common ones is if your wait is something that would be extremely unlikely to come out as ron anyway- for instance, if you are furiten, and your final wait is the dora tile, nobody is ever going to discard the dora tile late anyway, so you may as well call riichi for the extra han and hope for a self-draw. (in general, this is also one of the exceptions to declaring riichi with a low-scoring bad wait- if you have no chance to win by ron anyway, you might as well declare and go for the han)

there are also rarer cases where the game situation would require you to pass a winning tile because you have multiple winning tiles, one of which will score much more than the other, and you need the points.

Pierzak posted:

ed: forgot one. If akadoras are in play and dora indicator is say, 4pin, does a 5pin count as double dora - once for the indicator tile, once for the akadora?

old post but the answer is yes. You'd add one dora for the akadora, so if dora is 5p, and you have akadora 5p in you rhand, you get two han.

This is an added 1han, so if dora is double 5p (two 4p dora indicators), a 5p akadora is worth 3han, not 4han. '

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 22, 2019

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

old posts but regarding furiten questions
Just letting you know that I still read it and it was useful, thanks!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
don't think ive ever bullshitted a win harder than this

last place during sudden death west1, just looking for points, was not expecting tsumo on chun to get the 40/3 and first place

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
English version of majsoul is out if you want to be an extreme weeb
https://mahjongsoul.yo-star.com/#/

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wait, should I not be declaring riichi with bad hands and bad waits? I get why you wouldn't want to call riichi with like a 13 wait where you're also hoping to get a 4 and improve your wait. But if it's something like 12 or a pair wait, and I doubt I'll fold, I've just been throwing it out there.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the quick and dirty rule is "riichi unless your hand is worth at least 7700 points", which in most cases is 4+ han.

I think the most common cases you would stay dama are
1. you stand a significant chance of dealing into somebody else's giant hand
2. the tile you would be waiting on stands little chance of being thrown, like a dora tile or late seat wind
3. you are winning by a significant margin late in the game and you want to move things along
4. you stand a significant chance of drawing a tile that greatly improves your wait or hand value
5. You already have a mangan hand

but in most cases the added value from riichi makes that not worth it

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nrook posted:

Wait, should I not be declaring riichi with bad hands and bad waits? I get why you wouldn't want to call riichi with like a 13 wait where you're also hoping to get a 4 and improve your wait. But if it's something like 12 or a pair wait, and I doubt I'll fold, I've just been throwing it out there.

don't declare riichi with *both* a cheap hand and a bad wait is the rule of thumb. one exception is a "really bad" wait like the final terminal/honor where someone might toss it as a relatively safe tile if you riichi. example is if your final wait was a single red dragon and two red dragons are on the board already, so you might as well call riichi under the justification that red dragon would look like a fairly safe discard if you did