Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
X-axis is number of matches. Midline is 1800/3600. Gold games were for farming the 10-rentai achievement. My strategy was to play Gold East until 3-streak, then Gold South. I assumed tonpuu rentai rate = 55% and hanchan rentai rate = 60%, and estimated it would take an average of 300 hanchan-equivalents (2 tonpuu = 1 hanchan), but it turned out to be fewer in my case. You can see that I had second thoughts after my first period of farming, but then I kept gaining rank points (the period indicated in red), so I thought, it's now or never, I'm gonna promote if I don't tank my rank points, so I resumed achievement farming. All Jade games from then on until I got the achievement (last Gold game) were substituting Jade East for Gold East in the strategy for the sake of daily missions. You can also see that my hot streak continued after I got the achievement. Anyway, my answer is that the red marks the time when I became confident I could promote to Saint, but I lingered in order to achievement-farm.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

MrBlarney posted:

I've also just version up'd my Reading Multi-Sided Waits guide. Content-wise, there are more examples in Chapter 3 and 4 to make them more comprehensive in content and to try and smooth out the complexity curve. The final section, on choosing a tile to discard when taking tenpai, could probably make use of additional examples, but I think it's good enough for now. Oh, and I also added page numbers. I was thinking that looking at page numbers in whatever PDF reader you open the guide up in would be good enough, but it makes sense to just have the actual pages be numbered for convenience.
When ya gonna publish?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Y'all nerds and your data sheets and charts while I'm over here just vibing and calling every kan I c*is brutally killed for 120,000 points*

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

Xom posted:

When ya gonna publish [your Reading Multi-Sided Waits guide]?

Apologies if there was a lack of clarity, but I just updated the link I posted previously. For convenience here's that link again: Google Drive PDF and if you want to give me social media kudos, I also posted it on Reddit here.

Congratulations on ranking up to Saint!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

congrats!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

2 points from promotion to Expert 2. loving cats, man

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
What a comeback!!! :pusheen:

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
That pretty early riichi with a single wait on someone's concealed kan is a real tragedy though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

2 points from promotion to Expert 2. loving cats, man

needed two, got 54 :toot: too bad the points don't carry over after promotion

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

It's happening :eyepop:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

lol ending on west 4 finishing? I've definitely had sanma games end on west 3 finishing, it's a trip.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
apparently there's voice lines for hitting north 4 even though I'm pretty sure even friendly matches are hardcoded to end at west 4? yostar you cowards let us play into north

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chinese mahjong can go all four winds!!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Welp, this morning I had 150 of the 200 points I need to rank into Adept and three games later, I'm back down to 0. The tiles giveth and the tiles taketh away.

Meanwhile, my daughter has also gotten into MajSoul and yesterday got the Big Three Dragons, instantly destroying her opponent and becoming the first member of the family to get a limit hand in MajSoul (although not the first overall; my wife surprised me with the Thirteen Orphans years ago).

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

silvergoose posted:

lol ending on west 4 finishing? I've definitely had sanma games end on west 3 finishing, it's a trip.

Nah, check out what yaku the dealer's about to get.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I love eating poo poo the entire game and being dead last, only to get all pairs in the last round+dora and steal enough points from every player to make myself first place at the 11th hour

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I love eating poo poo the entire game and being dead last, only to get all pairs in the last round+dora and steal enough points from every player to make myself first place at the 11th hour

You know that Schwarzenegger quote about how lifting weights is like cumming all the time

That's how this feels

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cz8i3PPLrGT/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D

good christ that's hilarious

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
:toot:

Ex2 went by extremely fast so I had a bit of a pipe dream of hitting master inside 100 gold room games. That was sadly not to be, and I ended up on the much less even 109.
I'm sorta both dreading and looking forward to jade room. Playing better players and watching numbers go up is always fun, but I understand master 1 is sort of a massive wall because of the range of players you run in to.
We'll see if I manage to stick around or if I end up crashing down to expert.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Osci posted:

:toot:

Ex2 went by extremely fast so I had a bit of a pipe dream of hitting master inside 100 gold room games. That was sadly not to be, and I ended up on the much less even 109.
I'm sorta both dreading and looking forward to jade room. Playing better players and watching numbers go up is always fun, but I understand master 1 is sort of a massive wall because of the range of players you run in to.
We'll see if I manage to stick around or if I end up crashing down to expert.

Well done! Any words of advice for scrubs like me who want to hit Master and beyond?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Jade room is definitely where the point spread on 1st through 4th really hurts. One 4th takes, what, 2-3 1sts to offset at that point? But playing too defensively and ending up in third all the time won't let you progress either. A lot of folks I know have hit that point and essentially stopped playing ranked because of it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nighthand posted:

Jade room is definitely where the point spread on 1st through 4th really hurts. One 4th takes, what, 2-3 1sts to offset at that point? But playing too defensively and ending up in third all the time won't let you progress either. A lot of folks I know have hit that point and essentially stopped playing ranked because of it.

Not gonna lie, the ranked system in mjs is a big reason I don't play it more often. Getting a 4th just feels so punishing.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

skill issue

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

you're not wrong, I am trash at this game

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Relyssa posted:

you're not wrong, I am trash at this game

Thankfully there is a luck component that scrubs like us can blame

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

Relyssa posted:

Well done! Any words of advice for scrubs like me who want to hit Master and beyond?

Difficult to say, I don't really think I'm doing anything special. Mostly just playing defensively (happily bailing on most every hand which looks dangerous) and playing for position when possible. I mainly go into a game to get 3rd, with anything extra being a bonus. Another player dealing into a big hand is essentially a win, even if it's not mine. It will be more difficult to get 1st, but there's now a 8k+ gap between you and 4th. This feels much safer if it sticks to the later rounds, especially if you can squeak to 2nd before getting there.

Honestly, I feel like my mindset in mahjong is very similar to when I play autobattlers. There's a fair bit of overlap when it comes to aiming for minimum placement, accepting RNG, and balancing flashy funny comps/hands with the "boring" meta. Main thing that is added is just defence and a lack of "counters".

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
The rank point distribution of a Master 1 playing in Jade Room is flat: [+125, +60, -5, -180] including the standard uma, so getting an equal number of each placement should roughly keep your rank stable. The same can be said about Expert 3 players playing in Gold Room: [+95, +45, -5, -135]. Of course, an Expert 3 is in the top tier of their room, barring any Masters dipping downwards, and so have much easier relative competition than Master 1s do, who are at the bottom of their respective room population. Furthermore, the way that Throne Room rewards are set up, Saint players are incentivized to continue playing in Jade Room, further increasing the difficulty of Master 1s to maintain or improve their rank. So it's no surprise that Master ends up being a wall for most players who are able to reach it.

I'm still barely surviving in Jade Room at Master 1 through about 230 games. Haven't been playing as much the past couple months due to a bit of ladder anxiety as well as exploring Riichi City a little bit. (There's a lot of rank inflation there due to its point system, but it's somewhat understandable given that it's trying to get a foothold into a market that already has a few well-established options like Mahjong Soul and Tenhou.) But I can't really say that I've quite cracked the code to advance in Jade yet. The way I see the progression roadmap, which is influenced by this old post and this Hirasawa Genki video, we start in Novice and Adept learning the game's rules (e.g. riichi, dora, furiten) and building an understanding of basic tile efficiency. Expert should require further understanding of tile efficiency and yaku / value building, along with following basic defense principles. Master, then, should be even more refinement of those previous dimensions, such as counting tile blockades and looking at a player's early discards to estimate more or less likely patterns for when you lack genbutsu or suji tiles to fold with. Furthermore, deeper skills such as push/pull judgement and positional / point judgement start to become differentiating skills between players.

I recently ordered another round of Mahjong books from Amazon JP and have been going through this book by Hirasawa Genki and G. Uzaku, which is a problem book geared towards helping players identify their strong and weak points. Each chapter covers a different topic, and features problems from beginner to intermediate ranks. It's not a book that covers each topic in detail, but each problem is designed to probe a specific skill or technique. The idea is that, after going through the book, you know what kind of materials to study in order to improve. I've only gone through the first two chapters so far, but it seems like I'm mostly okay on tile efficiency and hand building (though I do have a tendency to get too ambitious and desire big hands at the cost of speed and win-rate), but I could use some work on my attention for sequencing discards while folding. So there's more anecdata in support of my thoughts from the previous paragraph. Surely there's more gaps to find in my skills in the push/pull and positional judgement chapters as I go through those.

MrBlarney fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 18, 2023

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I like Riichi City a lot. For some reason my anxiety-addled brain can handle deranking in their system much better than it can the MJS one. It's gotten to the point where I'm too nervous to really play MJS ranked at this point because nerves just take over.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

From discussions with high level players on the Mahjong Soul discord, the consensus for Jade room is that if you're Master 1 or 2, you should be making push/fold decisions that maximize your chances for 1st, while Master 3 and above prefer to make decisions that minimizes your chance for 4th. What this means is that during endgame plays (i.e. South 3 and later), if you're Master 1/2 it's better to make a play that has a decent chance to take 1st even if there's a risk of 4th, while the opposite is true for higher ranks. A concrete example would be:

It's South 4. 1st place is the dealer with 33000 points, you're 2nd with 26000 points, and 3rd and 4th have 22000 points and 19000 points. Your hand is no yaku, one dora and the wait is 89. If you're Master 1/2, riichiing is worthwhile because you can get 1st if you get 1 ura/ippatsu and either ron the dealer or tsumo. However, if you're higher ranked it's usually better to dama and either prepare to fold, or build a hand with a yaku so you can avoid riichiing, get a better wait to increase your winrate (and avoid dealing in to someone chasing you like the dealer or the person in last), or improve the value so you don't have to rely on luck for an extra han to secure 1st.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think that style would explain why I've seen a lot of Jade room players make absolutely fearless pushes (and then somehow winning with them).

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Qualified for this year's Catfood Bowl in 6th place :toot: That score was actually the result of my first 3 hanchans during the qualifiers, actually insane luck.

https://twitter.com/MahjongSoul_EN/status/1744960431951950262

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
Belated congratulations. :toot:

Looks like quarters are tonight, semis tomorrow and finals on saturday. I'm sadly going to have to stick to the replays as the scheduling is absolutely awful for EU.
Good luck and I'm having fingers crossed for some goon success!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Neat. Wasn't even trying for it and it fell into place naturally.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm not sure how that's a winning hand? Or am I dumb

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Huh. I always assumed you needed a ready hand for that

Also hell yeah! Congrats!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Heath posted:

I'm not sure how that's a winning hand? Or am I dumb

Mangan at draw happens when you only discard terminals and honors, nobody calls them for pon or chi, and you hit exhaustive draw. You get awarded a mangan point spread for this.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Also called Nagashi Mangan, if you're more familiar with that term

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I landed that once, and once almost did but someone saw what I was doing and ponned one to break it on the second to last discard or something.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I love nagashi mangan, I start counting how close I am to it around 20 tiles left, as in, how many more I have in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Can Of Worms posted:

Qualified for this year's Catfood Bowl in 6th place :toot: That score was actually the result of my first 3 hanchans during the qualifiers, actually insane luck.

https://twitter.com/MahjongSoul_EN/status/1744960431951950262

another belated congrats!

I just bonded my first anime character for lots of cheevos, and then went back to grinding gold room 4 man with two second place finishes. Its kind of fun lurking back in the weeds and lunging only when you have a good hand or to spoil someone's monster hand