Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Thought I might pop by and say howdy.

I don't know if anyone remembers but I used to maintain a debt thread here a few years ago. I had just separated from my ex-wife and was bleeding money at a prodigious rate. At the start of the thread I was about $35,000 in debt to a combination of credit cards and a 401k loan. Over the course of a year long thread I managed to change course and was making regular monthly progress towards a debt free life.

This is an update. Hopefully a conclusion, really, to that crisis and time in my life.

In December 2015 two things happened. I got my bonus, enough to paid off the last of my credit cards and leaving only $9,000 in 401k loan. And I got fired. It was one or the other. One of my projects was way over budget and I was told I would eat the overrun from my bonus. After some heated debate they paid me the whole bonus but decided to call it a severance. Rather than pay off the credit cards I hoarded the cash and set all payments to minimum.

I went on unemployment, $650 a week, for the full six months. Having sold my car I used the unemployment to cover the $2,450 rent and my girlfriend covered food for us. Credit debt crept up slowly as I would use the cards in place of my cash hoard. I also had to spend through my HSA on a case of turf-toe and a secondary infection which kept me off my feet for a couple months. All in all I think it was a useful and sobering time which let me reflect and plan my next phase of life.

That next phase began with my accepting a position in Southern California working for an old client from my previous consulting days. Pay was decent at $110k + bonus (more loaded toward base salary than consulting had been). They had offered relocation money but I never got it in writing and they balked when I wanted to revisit the subject after signing. Moving costs built up fast, and I added extra cost by making a nice two week road trip down the coast out of the experience. In May 2016 when I accepted the position I had about $15,000 in credit debt and $9,000 in cash. In June 2016 when I started the new job I paid off what I could, leaving $7,000 in credit debt and $1,300 in cash.

The next two years in SoCal have been... Quiet. No grand vacations. No elective surgeries. Vastly less drinking. My girlfriend became my fiance. After a couple raises in my first year I take home $3,000 every two weeks. I've kept regular expenses under $4,500/mo consistently and I don't budget my bonus (a recurring recommendation from the last thread). There were some unexpected expenses here and there (mostly related to the junker car I bought when I arrived here). Finally, in April 2018, I paid the last of my debt and enjoyed a couple months of true zero debt for the first time since 2011. I've continued to hoard cash through it all (set a floor of $10,000 in checking after my first year at the new job) - a habit I attribute to the financial panic I felt when I lost my first "real" job.

In June 2018 I took on an auto loan of $12,000 for a used Hyundai Genesis (after a 9k down payment). This remains my only debt, and I have $26,000 in checking that I'm considering using to fully pay off the car. My retirement accounts are at $100k with no loans against them. The plan is to maintain this lifestyle for another year and build up another $50k in savings as a down payment on a house. The fiance makes decent money as a chemist for a giant corporation (30k/yr) and is looking to double that by moving from a contract position to full time salaried.

So there it is. Four years after I first admitted I had problem with debt I'm finally truly out of the woods. Thank you to everyone who encouraged me, yelled at me, or laughed with (at) me. If it weren't for the motivation of that thread I would have not been in a place to pull through unemployment. And I probably would have taken a construction job and lost my career focus. Seriously: Thank you guys. I hope this post provides some closure to the Slow Motion saga.

I'll try to check back a few times to answer any questions y'all might have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Holy poo poo. Good work man. Sometimes (often!) it takes a large shock to get things in motion, I'm glad it worked out for you.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Get a div... no wait, that's the other guy.

Good for you cleaning your life up, fellow cash hoarder!

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Nice! Keep it up buddy.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Congratulations! It's a good place to be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
still going to the opera?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

still going to the opera?

Nope. No more opera. Which also means no more $15 opera cocktails and no more opera suits. It's an expensive hobby that I won't pick up again till I have my other priorities locked down.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

i didn't think they'd start marketing bojack horseman's next season already...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

good job and also lol zaurg is gonna have a meltdown today.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I didn't realize how much I posted in your thread until re-reading it recently. Glad things are slowly getting to a better point and hopefully you feel much better about life and what not.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BUG JUG posted:

i didn't think they'd start marketing bojack horseman's next season already...

Back in 2013, I was in a very famous BFC thread
I'm SlowMo the Baller (Slowmo!) SlowMo the Baller
Don't act like my debt's smaller

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

Get a div... no wait, that's the other guy.

Good for you cleaning your life up, fellow cash hoarder!
Sell your shitcoins No wait, that's the other guy.

Good job man. Glad to see you coming out ahead after your Slowmo's Wild Ride.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Congrats on cleaning up your finances. Seriously. It's awesome.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Congrats! I can't believe it's been 5 years since you started that thread.

Most important question: Which wall is the scorpion mural on in your new place?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goddammit I hadn't finished your thread yet. Where was the spoiler warning?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo. He’s back.

We were just talking about you in another thread. I reread the end of your saga, where you were picking out the best suit to go to the abortion in, and the thread descended into fan fiction and Photoshops. It was glorious.

Your tone certainly seems to have changed. It sounds like you got beat up a little, then made real progress. Will SloMo be the success story zaurg never could? I will stay loving tuned to find out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
slowmo has succeeded in ways that zaurg can't even comprehend

edit: in fairness zaurg can't comprehend making ice so the bar is real low

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
But the real question is do you still have your special USA GO AMERICA testing outfit?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Can you take a picture of the sick rear end tiger on the wall in your house?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Wait til you get our invoices for our financial advice.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It's good to hear that you've made meaningful and positive changes in your life.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I wanna know what happened to murderknobs

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I wanna know what happened to that book your friend was writing about you.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I think about that scorpion mural sometimes.

... It was a scorpion, right?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
I’m glad you figured your poo poo out, but I’m sad I never actually got to run into you in Seattle.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

tumblr hype man posted:

I’m glad you figured your poo poo out, but I’m sad I never actually got to run into you in Seattle.

Same.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I was sure this was going to be another zaurg thread where I'm really going to get it this time, guys. Good for you SloMo

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Congrats SlowMo.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Slow Motion posted:

I don't know if anyone remembers but ...

You are a legend on BFC, and anybody who doesn't know your thread should be banned from this part of the forum.

Good job getting your poo poo together. Isn't SoCal awesome? I hope I get to stay here forever.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I remember when someone called you a melon baller and you got upset. Good times, and thank you for sharing the intimate details of your financial life.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Grumpwagon posted:

Congrats! I can't believe it's been 5 years since you started that thread.

Most important question: Which wall is the scorpion mural on in your new place?

gently caress, I forgot about the scorpion mural. The juxtaposition of seeing that mural while collecting unemployment. What a wild tale.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Slow Motion, I read all of your threads and I'm really proud of you. It sounds like you're in a much happier and healthier place and I'm stoked that it all turned out. I'm glad that you're taking care of yourself and wish you the best of luck in your marriage.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I clicked on the thread with my scrotum tightening in anticipation and excitement only to be incredibly let down.

That’s good, congratulations, I’m glad you finally got a handle on your life and have made great progress. It sucks that it took real pain to ram home what hundreds of faceless internet voices couldn’t, but you seem to have recovered well and developed some lasting beneficial habits.

Echoing the sentiment that Z is gonna poo poo himself and throw his toys out the pram when he sees how well you’ve recovered in the time he’s achieved nothing.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Hurray!!

Seriously, I'm so happy for you.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Congraaaaaats I remember everyone giving you poo poo for your orange pants but they were actually pretty cool.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Congratulations on all your forward momentum. Part of being a fully formed human is realizing limitations, and financial limitations are a big part of that. Sounds like you made the right choice to exit your prior position. Keep up the hard work.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Reading this makes me all warm and cozy inside. Good job!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Slow Motion posted:

Nope. No more opera. Which also means no more $15 opera cocktails and no more opera suits. It's an expensive hobby that I won't pick up again till I have my other priorities locked down.
The trick is to live in the rural south where the local opera only puts on 2 shows a year. And opera cocktails are only $9. Also you can wear searsucker. It does take balls to stage Wagner in a majority black community, though.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Throwing my congratulations on the pile for you not having thrown the towel on your future! Your maturity really shows, SloMo. No, Slow Motion. I won't make a crack about your past since you seem to have definitely put that part of your life behind you, as insane as it was.

Good luck on your future endeavours and savings goals!

Also haha your situation was so much worse than Zaurg's and you did a complete 180 in perspective while he didn't. You are not BFC's secondary whipping boy anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Good job man, and with a salary over $100k plus bonuses you should have no problem building up a healthy retirement portfolio.