Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ground floor. Goddamn what a wild ride that must have been. Losing one's first real job and going on unemployment really is a life changing experience. No more soaring like Icarus, eh? Still doing those strange stories about lusting after your buddy's girl?

How hard was it for you to unwind all the expenses you'd wrapped yourself up in after losing your job? It took my family a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Someone should find blue story and figure out how she's doing

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Just go to that sandwich shop in Seattle, you'll find her soon enough.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Thanks for the update! I'm glad that things are going well. Looking at how your life and priorities have changed, do you cringe when reading your old thread? I'm skimming back through it, and one of the biggest reasons you gave for your ballin' lifestyle is that your job was 100% secure and you could only go up, despite several posters pointing out that jobs disappear all the time. Did you ever have a moment of shaking your fist and muttering through clenched teeth "Goddamnit, those BFC assholes were right!!!"?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
holy poo poo, slow mo i'm legit impressed.

glad you turned things around.

best bfc success story?

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 11, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

axeil posted:

best bfc success story?

Shiiit, 35 grand in debt from someone earning a p deece six figgies? There's probably people earning 40 grand a year with that much non-mortgage debt.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Huh, just finished reading the old thread a little while ago. I'm pretty shocked. Good on you slow mo! Way to do what no one thought you could!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Someone should find blue story and figure out how she's doing

After this, I'm halfway expecting her to have gone to extensive therapy, mastered cooking, and have opened up a Star Wars themed restaurant where she also sells all her excess merch.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AnoHito posted:

After this, I'm halfway expecting her to have gone to extensive therapy, mastered cooking, and have opened up a Star Wars themed restaurant where she also sells all her excess merch.

They divorced. The husband isn’t well.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wait, what

where was this posted

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

veiled boner fuel posted:

There’s only one object in the photo that has STAR WARS legibly written on it, I was expecting a lot more.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

There’s only one object in the photo that has STAR WARS legibly written on it, I was expecting a lot more.

There’s two in the upper left alone

But yeah wanna knoe what Bs is up to

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

El_Elegante posted:

I count at least 8 definite pieces of Star Wars merch.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

El_Elegante posted:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

At least he learned how to make ice, unlike zar... wait a sec.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

howdoesishotweb posted:

At least he learned how to make ice, unlike zar... wait a sec.

Well the trays are empty and maybe he's raging because they are?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wait, what

where was this posted

No way that’s actually her husband, it’s just a post of a dumb picture.

I like to imagine that was Zaurg trying to make ice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Duckman2008 posted:

No way that’s actually her husband, it’s just a post of a dumb picture.

I like to imagine that was Zaurg trying to make ice.

How do you explain all the Star Wars trash then? In the kitchen no less!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It’s just some guy from reddit

April
Jul 3, 2006

It’s just some guy from reddit

Which doesn't rule out BS's husband....

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
you disgust me

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
do you think you can buy your way out of the flood? do you really think that?

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Slow Motion posted:

I had just separated from my ex-wife and was bleeding money at a prodigious rate.

My girlfriend became my fiance.

Didn't learn your lesson the first time? :lol:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

This is a pleasant surprise! I just started re-reading the original thread, wondered "does he still post" and checked the post history. Good on you, hope you stay on the right track.

nikosoft posted:

I think about that scorpion mural sometimes.

... It was a scorpion, right?
Yesterday colleague was talking about decorating her kitchen with a mural of green plants. I suggested painting a sweet-rear end scorpion instead.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey. I actually stumbled upon the previous thread all those years ago while I was still a stupid newbie. Glad to read you're doing fine. :)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Oh my god SlowMo you did it. I'm so loving proud of you amigo.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Way late to the game, just saw this. Huge congrats. This isn't the finale brother, this is the beginning of something awesome.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Hey everyone, thanks for the encouragement. The wife and I are doing well.

Finances are strong:
$25k Cash emergency fund
$140k Retirement accounts

($0) Credit card debt
($8k) Car loan (KBB private party value $29k on this and the outright owned car)
($510k) Mortgage (home value $560k)

Lifestyle creep has been largely kept in check. We currently save around $2k cash and $2k retirement each month.

Those of you who have said this is just the beginning are so very correct. Next on finance goals are:
- Prepare to have a kid (starting with vasectomy reversal)
- Pay down the house and refinance into a monthly mortgage payment we could afford on more moderate income
- Save for an MBA

If there's any interest I'd love to get some of your input on my plan to achieve these. Some old-school budgeting and variance analysis would be fun.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Slow Motion posted:

Finances are strong:
$25k Cash emergency fund

($0) Credit card debt
($8k) Car loan (KBB private party value $29k on this and the outright owned car)

Lifestyle creep has been largely kept in check. We currently save around $2k cash and $2k retirement each month.

Those of you who have said this is just the beginning are so very correct. Next on finance goals are:
- Pay down the house and refinance into a monthly mortgage payment we could afford on more moderate income
- Save for an MBA

If there's any interest I'd love to get some of your input on my plan to achieve these. Some old-school budgeting and variance analysis would be fun.

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS well done. Congratulations on the success, you've earned it.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Slow Motion posted:

Finances are strong:
$25k Cash emergency fund

($0) Credit card debt

- Save for an MBA

Thank you for making all our advising effort not go to waste.

Here's some ideas, you're making good choices and should evaluate each for it's appropriateness for your situation.

Evaluate the car loan against only the car that secures it, rather than the aggregate value of private party sale of cars vs. aggregate debt on cars.

Split the cash savings deposits between continuing to deposit cash in your emergency account and paying down the mortgage early so you're chipping $1k off the mortgage principle each month. Alternatively put $1333 into each of cash deposits, mortgage principle, and retirement.

Start saving for the vasectomy reversal and the hospital bills for delivery. No idea on costing for a vasectomy reversal. I think having about $10k on hand for the kid popping out was useful in the mid-Atlantic east coast.

No good advice on the MBA front, but it's worth touching base with work and see if they'd offer tuition reimbursement if you got your MBA in off hours. Get any such agreement in writing. Understand what the repayment penalty is if you leave after getting your MBA that they paid for, and keep that socked away to self-insure until the repayment period has expired.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Here are the MBA options that I think make sense. Source: wife at elite MBA program full time, and I work with a wide array of MBA havers, so I get to see a lot of stuff.

Get a full time MBA if you are going to switch careers. Have a very strong plan for how the MBA supports this switch. Fund the MBA yourself. Only go to an elite school (or an incredibly focused school eg UVM Sustainable Agriculture MBA that meets your needs) if you are going to do this. It is expensive. Plan accordingly. You may receive some tuition support but as a (i think) white cis male you probably aren't getting poo poo, and MBA programs are expensive and should have a ROI for the student.

In addition to tuition getting a full time MBA is expensive. There is a lot of socialization and activity that occurs, which may seem silly, but it's building you the connections you need for your future career. Budget money for this.

Get a part time/executive MBA if you are staying in your career or at least within a small degree of separation of your career. You want to go to the most prestigious reasonably close school that you can find. Two options
1) Company pays. If there are any restrictions to specific schools, and those schools are not good, do not take the money. If the terms are onerous, do not take the money
2) You pay. Do this if your company sucks or you don't want to be tied down.

Third option - you just need some paperwork, in which case either
1) take your company's money and go to Strayer or Ball So Hard U or whatever the gently caress
2) pay for a cheap and not difficult but not total garbage tier school yourself

congrats on your successes and i wish you the best for the future!

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Still going down the actuarial path?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
I still do some actuarial work but mostly I'm finance analytics and strategy now. I expect an MBA would do three things for me:
- Allow me to progress in my current path. I have room to grow my salary in this role but the next steps would involve reporting to the board and investors. Both groups like to see prestigious degrees and I'm afraid my bachelors won't cut it.
- Allow me to switch industries if a good opportunity comes along. From my own observations this only seems to happen for the MBAs.
- Be fun to complete and make friends along the way.

I would only target an executive or part time program. My employer would allow me the hours flexibility to do so. I haven't talked financial support and I doubt there would be much.

But that's all several years away. For the near future it's all about babies. I'm budgeting $5,000 for the reversal (high end) and $10,000 for delivery and first year needs. I *should* hit both of these with savings targets this year.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Daycare for a two working person family is typically somewhere between 350 to 500 a week depending on where you live, so unless your and your wife’s company has a 1st world parental leave policy, you should be doubling to tripling your baby fund.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Tim Thomas posted:

Daycare for a two working person family is typically somewhere between 350 to 500 a week depending on where you live, so unless your and your wife’s company has a 1st world parental leave policy, you should be doubling to tripling your baby fund.

We paid $195 a week for an infant and it got less as he got older. So...it's not that expensive everywhere.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Holy poo poo, that's cheap. I'm in the greater Boston region and that's unheard of.

Still, $195/wk is >$10K/yr, so increasing still stands.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Tim Thomas posted:

Holy poo poo, that's cheap. I'm in the greater Boston region and that's unheard of.

Still, $195/wk is >$10K/yr, so increasing still stands.

Friends of mine in Maryland pay $410/wk

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah our kiddo is in first grade now and when he started school it was like getting a nice raise to not have to pay for child care anymore

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Are you already maxing an HSA? Would be good even if it's just a tax free funnel to your medical bills.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

moana posted:

Are you already maxing an HSA? Would be good even if it's just a tax free funnel to your medical bills.

I switched to an HMO - my wife has some conditions that flare up from time to time. Running the numbers on the last couple years its a wash with the HDHP + company HSA contrib vs the HMO. So I trade some tax advantaged savings for not having any expense anxiety when she decides she needs to go in.

Regarding child care for first year of life I expect significant help from grandparents, who are all retired and have offered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Slow Motion posted:

I switched to an HMO - my wife has some conditions that flare up from time to time. Running the numbers on the last couple years its a wash with the HDHP + company HSA contrib vs the HMO. So I trade some tax advantaged savings for not having any expense anxiety when she decides she needs to go in.

Regarding child care for first year of life I expect significant help from grandparents, who are all retired and have offered.

Family/friend childcare is optimal, but it's been my experience that you can't always count on it. I've known several people whose older, retired parents offered to watch their baby, but as sleepy baby turns into rambunctious toddler, they couldn't keep up. Or friends/siblings get new jobs, or have new babies of their own, or whatever. So absolutely take your parents up on their offer, but be prepared to switch gears if necessary.

Also, I don't know how viable this is in your area, but here in the Mountain State, I sent my kids to a non-profit day care run out of a very small church (they had a total of MAYBE 25 kids, age infant to 12 or so and a staff of 8) and it was $240 a month. No, that wasn't a typo. They were evangelicals, and while I am not at all religious & actively against most of their beliefs, they were amazing with the kids, and the only whiff of indoctrination was teaching them to sing Jesus Loves Me during music time.

Finally, would it be out of line to ask if you have a fancy outfit picked out for your vasectomy reversal? ;)