Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
still going to the opera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

slowmo has succeeded in ways that zaurg can't even comprehend

edit: in fairness zaurg can't comprehend making ice so the bar is real low

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Here are the MBA options that I think make sense. Source: wife at elite MBA program full time, and I work with a wide array of MBA havers, so I get to see a lot of stuff.

Get a full time MBA if you are going to switch careers. Have a very strong plan for how the MBA supports this switch. Fund the MBA yourself. Only go to an elite school (or an incredibly focused school eg UVM Sustainable Agriculture MBA that meets your needs) if you are going to do this. It is expensive. Plan accordingly. You may receive some tuition support but as a (i think) white cis male you probably aren't getting poo poo, and MBA programs are expensive and should have a ROI for the student.

In addition to tuition getting a full time MBA is expensive. There is a lot of socialization and activity that occurs, which may seem silly, but it's building you the connections you need for your future career. Budget money for this.

Get a part time/executive MBA if you are staying in your career or at least within a small degree of separation of your career. You want to go to the most prestigious reasonably close school that you can find. Two options
1) Company pays. If there are any restrictions to specific schools, and those schools are not good, do not take the money. If the terms are onerous, do not take the money
2) You pay. Do this if your company sucks or you don't want to be tied down.

Third option - you just need some paperwork, in which case either
1) take your company's money and go to Strayer or Ball So Hard U or whatever the gently caress
2) pay for a cheap and not difficult but not total garbage tier school yourself

congrats on your successes and i wish you the best for the future!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

Holy poo poo, that's cheap. I'm in the greater Boston region and that's unheard of.

Still, $195/wk is >$10K/yr, so increasing still stands.

yeah the numbers i hear from my colleagues in greater boston make me not want to move back when we have a family

stuff like "my entire mid-five figure bonus paid four our two kids daycare last year"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

yup although on the other hand, if the max someone can do is 3.5 kids, and the kids are spending 45 hours a week with them, the teachers probably should be making more than minimum wage?

like we pay 420 (nice) for a 9 hour day and that covers two teachers, admin salaries, upkeep, rotating helpers, etc, so I can’t imagine that the teachers are bringing home a lot more than 750/wk which is just bananas

we may send our daughter to Montessori land next year and that’s great because they pay the poo poo out of their teachers and they rule, but also hot loving drat it’s a spicy meatball

Not clear how this is different anywhere unless ratios are higher, which I wouldn’t be super comfy with

oh i agree that the teachers should be paid but i have no idea how you make it work on less money

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i bet you could do 195 a week in like bakersfield

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocheez posted:

My wife finds excuses to spend another $80-100 on "baby thing" activity toy that might be good for our son's development. I buy $3 riding toys at yard sales. Take a guess what he spends most of his time playing with.

empty cardboard boxes you have from other presents

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not a fan of including cars as assets - I know technically yes they are, but they're usually rapidly depreciating and it's not like you can readily convert them to cash since you still gotta drive to work and the grocery store, etc.

an EMBA at U of M Ross, where my wife got her regular MBA, is $163,000 at sticker price for Michigan residents.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vomik posted:

Going to a business school for a full time program outside of the top 5-10 is for suckers though.

Going to a part time or EMBA program without a promotion promised is for suckers too even if it’s free.

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm risk averse (class of 2009 reprezent) so I like to keep way more cash in HYSA than that. We are probably keeping about 10-12 mos of our true expenses.

I get paid monthly. We try to make sure that there's about a month in expenses in checking before I get paid, and then cover expenses and and allocations, and dump the rest to HYSA house slush fund after that.