Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Slow Motion posted:

3. Pay down mortgage to a more manageable monthly level (Current APR 4.25%). A refinance this year might help a lot.

Are you paying PMI since you're over 75% LTV. Current 30 year rates (at aimloan.com with great credit and escrow) are 3.25% with 0 closing costs, or 2.875% with $8k costs.

Refinancing from 4.25 is doable though it may not have a huge ROI. 75% of 580k is 435k. You can only get $417k unless you do a jumbo loan which would increase your APR by 1/4 or 1/2 point. So that's 72k or better yet 90k to go. Paying off a realistic additional $2k/month means 36 or 45 months. This does not take into account equity paid off with your normal loan payments, so it would take less time than that.

It's not a simple call. 4.25% is a decent rate by most standards. You want to stop paying PMI. You could either put your $2k/month straight into additional loan payments, or into a rainy day account. 3 years from now you refinance, give them the money you've saved, and then you have a $417k loan at 3% ($1758/month) and no PMI. That would be the best long term solution IMO, but plans and interest rates change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I keep my checking account with a cushion of a month or two expenses above the minimum balance.

I use etrade, because I've had the account forever and there's few fees. It can take 2-3 days to transfer money to/from checking unless you wire it, which costs a minimal amount.

Additional cash I transfer to etrade and into VYM (medium term) or MINT (short term cash that still earns more than a 0.01% checking account interest). Longer term (i.e. stash and forget about it), VTSAX is fine.

Maybe an additional 6 months expenses in VYM/MINT and the rest start shoveling into VTSAX.