Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Congratulations on all your forward momentum. Part of being a fully formed human is realizing limitations, and financial limitations are a big part of that. Sounds like you made the right choice to exit your prior position. Keep up the hard work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

God I love a good success story.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Slow Motion posted:

Dang y'all have a lot of babies.

So while I spec out cashflows for my goals what should I be thinking for the baby?

My vague idea was to have the $10,000 to cover delivery and cushion any unexpected shocks in the first year. The regular costs would be covered by a combination of the $2,000/m currently going into non-retirement savings and the addition of $500/m from paying off the auto loan. At maximum day-care would be three days a week (wife works part time Wed-Sun). I assume the costs are unlikely to exceed $2,500/m. Am I missing anything here?

Find out your annual out of pocket maximum from your health insurance company and use that number (instead of the deductible, as you might pay several deductibles if things get choppy). As for how much the baby ends up actually costing you every month, that's between you, the Mrs. and the baby.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Slow Motion posted:

MOOP is $3,000 on the current HMO, and would be $6,500 on the HDHP (which I'll consider moving to if the annual contribution limit get's pushed way up). I'm more concerned with all the peripherals: formula, car seats, baby furniture, clothes etc.

People in poverty have children just fine, amigo, but you can spend as much or as little as you want on this stuff.

The only thing I'd say - as a physician - is that breast milk is best and the benefits are most obvious when it's nursed but you have to do what's going to work with you, your wife and your kid.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Check it out, it's the best reviewed car seat in the world!

https://clekinc.com/products/convertible-seats/foonf/?variant=31047890174027

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

That number is right about the same for us. Daycare is its own expense.

The main things that go in it are diapers, wipes, baby clothes, baby supplies, toys, grooming, bathing, feeding and all the other miscellaneous treasures from Amazon my wife orders.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Everyone I know who's gotten an MBA to get a promotion has had their company pay for the MBA. Myself included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I don't think it's overstated at all. Our negotiations class actually featured a scenario of how to negotiate with our employers to get them to pick up more of the bill. Real 12-D chess kind of poo poo.

Fortunately I think it IS actually a degree that DOES make you more marketable and gives you some meaningful experience (especially if you do the loving reading) but paying for it? Pffffft.