Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Slow Motion posted:

Hey everyone, thanks for the encouragement. The wife and I are doing well.

Finances are strong:
$25k Cash emergency fund
$140k Retirement accounts

($0) Credit card debt
($8k) Car loan (KBB private party value $29k on this and the outright owned car)
($510k) Mortgage (home value $560k)

Lifestyle creep has been largely kept in check. We currently save around $2k cash and $2k retirement each month.

Those of you who have said this is just the beginning are so very correct. Next on finance goals are:
- Prepare to have a kid (starting with vasectomy reversal)
- Pay down the house and refinance into a monthly mortgage payment we could afford on more moderate income
- Save for an MBA

If there's any interest I'd love to get some of your input on my plan to achieve these. Some old-school budgeting and variance analysis would be fun.

Thank you for making all our advising effort not go to waste.

Here's some ideas, you're making good choices and should evaluate each for it's appropriateness for your situation.

Evaluate the car loan against only the car that secures it, rather than the aggregate value of private party sale of cars vs. aggregate debt on cars.

Split the cash savings deposits between continuing to deposit cash in your emergency account and paying down the mortgage early so you're chipping $1k off the mortgage principle each month. Alternatively put $1333 into each of cash deposits, mortgage principle, and retirement.

Start saving for the vasectomy reversal and the hospital bills for delivery. No idea on costing for a vasectomy reversal. I think having about $10k on hand for the kid popping out was useful in the mid-Atlantic east coast.

No good advice on the MBA front, but it's worth touching base with work and see if they'd offer tuition reimbursement if you got your MBA in off hours. Get any such agreement in writing. Understand what the repayment penalty is if you leave after getting your MBA that they paid for, and keep that socked away to self-insure until the repayment period has expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
In the mid-Atlantic we've spent ~$260 / mo due to a babby since 2017. That's not inclusive of additional groceries, but does cover all the other stuff like diapers, clothes, car seats, etc.

Biggest expense month was when babby was born at $1200. We don't pay for childcare and it's not as expensive here as SoCal. And EAT FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

is right, you can spend as much or as little as you want on a kid.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Only $2200 is generic "savings", the rest goes into a savings account earmarked to be spent in big lumps.

$2200 / month is still a loving great amount to be able to save and invest. You might be able to make more with an MBA, but your breakeven interval is pretty dicey; you gotta blow out what you've already saved, and then, the MBA's only paying you back whatever you make in excess with a new position with that degree that you would not have received without it.