Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
"The holidays are around the corner, what better excuse to get drunk and fat? Egg nog can help you do both!

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/01/best-eggnog-recipe.html
Every fall for several years we've posted this recipe which includes raw eggs and takes at least 1-3 weeks to age. This means if you make a batch this weekend, it should just barely be ready in time for Thanksgiving and should taste even better by the time Christmas and New Years roll around.

One to three weeks, you might ask, won't the raw eggs turn rotten and turn Thanksgiving into a projective vomit food poisoning disaster? Well, normally they would but we're going to be dumping almost half a gallon of hard liquor in there and by my rough estimate it comes out to about 20% alcohol by volume. So feel safe knowing that it should be as sterile as a bottle of Listerine (or insert your mom joke in here)

Now, we've been doing this same recipe for about 5 years and I think it's time to step up our game! If you're an old timer or if you're feeling especially experimental, try to come up with ideas to improve this classic booze nog recipe. I've always enjoyed the more custardy flavor of store-bought egg nog, so I'm going to try cooking several batches to several different temperatures to see if any of them can replicate that store-bought custard flavor. If you have other ideas on how to improve the eggnog, shoot for it!

edit: Turns out there are some newer recipes which tweak the recipe in some ways and might be worth trying out as well:
Alton Brown: http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/
Bitten World: http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/12/taste-test-twelve-month-aged-eggnog.html
Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/rich-and-frothy-holiday-eggnog-with-an-electric-mixer-or-stand-mixer.html

:viggo: Unpasteurized Eggs won't kill you
https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/perhaps-another-reason-to-spike-that-eggnog/

Here is my nog session from last last year.

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Old thread archived, thanks to Dr. Gojo Shioji for the reminder.

I'll be making this year's batch today.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
in 2016 my family liked the nog from the Bitten Word recipe but thought it was a little more alcoholic than they preferred. I had used overproof bourbon there, but I decided to dial it back a little in 2017. I cut a cup of bourbon and replaced it with a cup of Sandeman Armada Cream Sherry. I dialed back the sugar to 1.5c on account of sweet sherry and lightly toasted it. Alcohol-wise, it's a bit less alcoholic than the BW recipe, but somewhat higher than the Alton Brown one. It was very well received and mostly consumed. I still have some squirreled away in the fridge to try again when it gets colder.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I've done a pretty similar thing with the Bitten Word recipe; used half the bourbon they suggested and replaced it with a port wine. It was pretty good, but I wish I'd just gone into full trashtown and used the butterscotch schnapps a friend suggested, then cut back on sugar a bit more. It's just too alcoholic for most people I serve to to really enjoy.

Last year I waited far too late into the season and just made Alton Brown's fast recipe and... ehhhh, it just wasn't the nog I love. This is going to be a project for this weekend for sure.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I'm of the opinion that egg nog should get you drunk, so it'll be none of this Alton Brown business this year for me.

In years past I've gone with this:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/eggnog-from-joy-of-cooking-51432751

But I think I might try that Bitten World recipe this year, though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Went with the Bitten World recipe with Ben Nevis's cream sherry change. Making 1 gallon batch of normal and one with the sherry.

picture missing heavy cream

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Thanks for putting up the new thread. I was making a batch of Alton's standard recipe last weekend, and I wanted to look into a few alternative recipes. I love the classic flavor, but I gave some to a few family members last year as Christmas gifts and I could tell they'd prefer something a little different. Serious Eats has a lot of modified theme recipes and I'd like to try some of those as gifts this year, but I'm not sure if some of the ingredients will take kindly to aging. Obviously eggs, dairy, sugar, and booze certainly do, but I'm not sure whether things like freshly-brewed espresso or coconut milk will play nice in a jar for several weeks or months. Does anyone have any experience with egg nog "adjunct" usage like this? Just to point out, I would only plan to serve the garnishes in those recipes at the time of serving.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So what are the non-alcoholic options for homemade nog?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

make coquito instead

it's just as easy, tastes way better, and everyone loves it. You can follow the back of a Goya can, or find a fancy recipe online.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I literally was just thinking about this and am already 11 days behind last year!

Gonna use some better booze this time around and make more of it! Last year was the first time I had done it and it turned out great.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Whalley posted:

I've done a pretty similar thing with the Bitten Word recipe; used half the bourbon they suggested and replaced it with a port wine. It was pretty good, but I wish I'd just gone into full trashtown and used the butterscotch schnapps a friend suggested, then cut back on sugar a bit more. It's just too alcoholic for most people I serve to to really enjoy.

Last year I waited far too late into the season and just made Alton Brown's fast recipe and... ehhhh, it just wasn't the nog I love. This is going to be a project for this weekend for sure.

The idea of replacing some hard alcohol with with schnapps or liqueur is really interesting to me. Some would definitely get trashy, but a nut liqueur of some sort might be nice. I can't get the idea out of my head that a pineapple one would turn out like some sort of Dole Whip eggnog. Comedy option: Rootbeer.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

The idea of replacing some hard alcohol with with schnapps or liqueur is really interesting to me. Some would definitely get trashy, but a nut liqueur of some sort might be nice. I can't get the idea out of my head that a pineapple one would turn out like some sort of Dole Whip eggnog. Comedy option: Rootbeer.

I may do a third batch with different flavors like this. I've been putting them into 1 pint mason jars, so it wouldn't be hard to: make a large batch with minus 1 cup bourbon, divide it into jars, add different liquor to each one to finish.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Hell yeah egg nog thread.

Currently have 3 batches going from early December last year. One normal, one almond milk/almond milk creamer, and one almond milk/almond milk creamer/coconut cream. Recipe is close to the Alton Brown one with a high rye whiskey/brandy/spiced rum for the liquors.

I've made the bitten word one before and while it's good, it's also extremely boozy and a little much for some people esp when it's young. The alcohol heat mellows out in the taste of it as it ages but the nose is pretty hot and put some people off esp if they tried smelling/drinking from a mason jar versus a mug or something a little more open. Cutting it with some milk/cream/etc at the time of serving helped as well.

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Thanks for putting up the new thread. I was making a batch of Alton's standard recipe last weekend, and I wanted to look into a few alternative recipes. I love the classic flavor, but I gave some to a few family members last year as Christmas gifts and I could tell they'd prefer something a little different. Serious Eats has a lot of modified theme recipes and I'd like to try some of those as gifts this year, but I'm not sure if some of the ingredients will take kindly to aging. Obviously eggs, dairy, sugar, and booze certainly do, but I'm not sure whether things like freshly-brewed espresso or coconut milk will play nice in a jar for several weeks or months. Does anyone have any experience with egg nog "adjunct" usage like this? Just to point out, I would only plan to serve the garnishes in those recipes at the time of serving.

I made a batch with almond milk and almond milk creamer last year since I have a some lactose intolerant friends and it aged a few weeks fine. No one got sick at the time and are mostly all still alive. Thought of it late so only got a few weeks age on it. It came out a little thin but good almost a little horchata like because of the spices I had in it (little heavy handed on the cinnamon). Made a batch to age for this year and I added a can of full fat coconut cream as kind of a sub for the heavy cream and hopefully thicken it up to a more egg nog like texture. It's looking promising when I give the jars a shake. Leaving the garnishes out as long as the alcohol hits the target of whatever is need for the sterilization, I would imagine those recipes would be fine.

Also for fans of egg and booze but dont have the space/time to age nog or maybe you want a hot drink or something. Look into Tom and Jerrys. You probably could age the batter like nog too depending on the recipe.

biggfoo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 21, 2018

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

goodness posted:

I may do a third batch with different flavors like this. I've been putting them into 1 pint mason jars, so it wouldn't be hard to: make a large batch with minus 1 cup bourbon, divide it into jars, add different liquor to each one to finish.

I did that last year and I didn't really come up with any of them I loved. I tried:

- Ancho Reyes(which was my favorite)
- Creme de Cacao/Creme de Menthe(it was pleasant but not the mint chocolate chip flavor I was hoping for)
- Frangelico + Creme de Cacao

I didn't like them as much as having a nice blend of brown liquors, but I also think I was a little bit afraid to put the amount in that'd make the additional flavoring more than subtle.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I did that last year and I didn't really come up with any of them I loved. I tried:

- Ancho Reyes(which was my favorite)
- Creme de Cacao/Creme de Menthe(it was pleasant but not the mint chocolate chip flavor I was hoping for)
- Frangelico + Creme de Cacao

I didn't like them as much as having a nice blend of brown liquors, but I also think I was a little bit afraid to put the amount in that'd make the additional flavoring more than subtle.

How much did you go with?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

biggfoo posted:

I've made the bitten word one before and while it's good, it's also extremely boozy and a little much for some people esp when it's young. The alcohol heat mellows out in the taste of it as it ages but the nose is pretty hot and put some people off esp if they tried smelling/drinking from a mason jar versus a mug or something a little more open. Cutting it with some milk/cream/etc at the time of serving helped as well.
smh if you're not folding through cream and whipped egg whites at serving

I'm really stuck on the idea of using a peach or a butterscotch schnapps and replacing some of/all of the bourbon with a smokey scotch to balance the extra sweetness, just going ham on substitutions. I just wanna try something different this year.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Whalley posted:

I'm really stuck on the idea of using a peach or a butterscotch schnapps and replacing some of/all of the bourbon with a smokey scotch to balance the extra sweetness, just going ham on substitutions. I just wanna try something different this year.

People last year were really down on the Scotch sub. if you try it, I'm real curious.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m totally gonna make eggnog for the first time this year as soon as I have a working fridge and some booze.

How much nog does the Alton Brown recipe make? From looking at it it looks like it makes a little over half a gallon, in which case I’m gonna need to scale it up.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Last year I used 100% brandy but infused the brandy with cardamom, almonds, vanilla and stuff and it was really good without falling too far from the nog tree imo. I might go back to something more bourbon oriented this year, but I haven't put much thought into it yet. I still use the old Joy of Cooking recipe (w/ various liquors and w/out the egg whites):

quote:

12 egg yolks
1 pound confectioner's sugar
6 cups dark rum
8 cups heavy cream

It's not far off from Alton Brown's but with full cream and twice as much booze. Go hard or go home, and don't be afraid to put more liquor in Alton's if you want shock and awe.

e: Also, mason jar crew, get one of these

https://www.amazon.com/reCAP-Mason-Canning-Mouth-Black/dp/B00KBBAO0Y/

ee: also, I know raw eggs are fine, but since I use fresh eggs from a sketchy goat shack and I give some of my nog to sickly nonagenarians I like to go the extra mile and I pasteurize them myself w/ the sous vide circulator which is not really a hassle

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 22, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just made a single egg test batch of nog, joy of cooking proportions, but with toasted cream and a mix of bourbon, brandy and rum I had on hand, and it's divine. Perfectly smooth and drinkable immediately, before even chilling properly, with the slightest hint of dulce de leche. I think I'm in love & will probably do this on the big batch this year

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ben Nevis posted:

How much did you go with?

Uhhh I don't remember exactly honestly, I think I either replaced 1/2 or 1/3rd of the liquor with the liqueur. I felt like I was kind of surprised with how muted it was all things considered.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

poverty goat posted:

with toasted cream
gently caress that's a good idea. I've been wanting to make some toasted cream for a while and never really had a plan in mind.

Okay, I've got the recipe I'm going to use, modifying the Bitten Word recipe somewhat to use toasted cream instead of regular and subbing scotch for the bourbon. I wouldn't mind also subbing out the brandy for a good applejack too, but not while using scotch.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’ve never heard of toasted cream before. What’s the difference between that and regular cream?

Also how do I convince my extremely stupid bull-headed mother that homemade eggnog won’t make everybody sick? I tried telling her about the scientific proof that the alcohol would kill any bad stuff in the eggs, and she doesn’t care and vowed to pour anything I make down the drain after 3 days.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Also how do I convince my extremely stupid bull-headed mother that homemade eggnog won’t make everybody sick? I tried telling her about the scientific proof that the alcohol would kill any bad stuff in the eggs, and she doesn’t care and vowed to pour anything I make down the drain after 3 days.

pasteurized eggs, show her the carton. they're made to be used raw in cocktails and such. this is part of why I use pasteurized eggs, because it's easier to say you use special eggs that are fine and point to a commercial product on the shelf at harris teeter than to explain science and such to all your cousins at christmas.

toasted cream

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 24, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

poverty goat posted:

pasteurized eggs, show her the carton. they're made to be used raw in cocktails and such. this is part of why I use pasteurized eggs, because it's easier to say you use special eggs that are fine and point to a commercial product on the shelf at harris teeter than to explain science and such to all your cousins at christmas.

toasted cream

Thank you, I just told my mom that pasteurized eggs are things that exist and I think it worked. She is now open to drinking homemade eggnog.

Speaking of which, is it possible to pasteurize eggs at home without a sous vide? If it is then I think that might be cheaper than buying pre-pasteurized ones.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Speaking of which, is it possible to pasteurize eggs at home without a sous vide? If it is then I think that might be cheaper than buying pre-pasteurized ones.
it's possible but not likely, you're going to have a hell of a time maintaining the proper temp without an IC in the mix

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'm of the opinion that egg nog should get you drunk, so it'll be none of this Alton Brown business this year for me.

You can still use the recipe, you just swap out the milk with more heavy cream and the booze with even more booze

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I’ve never heard of toasted cream before. What’s the difference between that and regular cream?
Toasted is nutty, layered, and tastes kinda like dulce de leche from what I've heard. You can make it in a pressure cooker in about two hours or a sous vide in twelve.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I think I might actually use a blend of toasted and regular cream. The toasted cream is a bit thinner than untoasted and even though the flavor of the 100% toasted batch was a resounding 10/10 the mouthfeel is noticeably less rich, and I got the same feedback from one of my tasters. I'm used to it coming out pretty heavy, and this was about the consistency of baileys which is a bit thin in comparison. So I made another test batch with the last of the toasted cream mixed 50:50 with heavy cream and the creaminess is back but the caramel flavor is much more subdued and we're down to a 9 on flavor. The sweet spot is in the middle there somewhere I think and I'll probably go for 75% or so unless I'm overcome with motivation tomorrow and I do another test batch to see if I can go higher :weed:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 25, 2018

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Putting away a double batch of the Alton Brown recipe tonight. I made it last year thanks to the advice of this thread and it was the surprise hit of the party. My mom asked me to make extra for people to take home this year.

Edit: Thought I had while doing this tonight: has anyone tried doing a nog float with like vanilla ice cream or something? I can't decide if this would be delicious or way too sweet.

Mike Danger fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 25, 2018

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Control Volume posted:

You can still use the recipe, you just swap out the milk with more heavy cream and the booze with even more booze

I'm kind of torn with it, because I liked how thick and heavy the Joy of Cooking recipe was, but a lot of people who tried it preferred Alton Brown.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mike Danger posted:

Edit: Thought I had while doing this tonight: has anyone tried doing a nog float with like vanilla ice cream or something? I can't decide if this would be delicious or way too sweet.
I do this every year and it's always way too sweet and absolutely perfect

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've done it with max strength joy of cooking nog and it was weird, like the ice cream was sweet enough that the nog didn't taste sweet in comparison and the booze flavor shot to the top of the stack and it tasted like I'd floated ice cream in a glass of Brandy and cream

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'm kind of torn with it, because I liked how thick and heavy the Joy of Cooking recipe was, but a lot of people who tried it preferred Alton Brown.

The only real difference aside from alcohol is that joy of cooking uses a pint more of dairy. The base recipe is 12 egg yolks, 1 lb of sugar, 48-64oz of dairy, and 24-56oz of booze. The dairy regulates viscosity depending on what you use, and the liquor regulates how smashed you get and how boozy it tastes. If people prefer the alton brown recipe it might be because the joy of cooking recipe is too hot; you could probably cut out a cup of liquor, which would mellow it out and make it close to the insanely thick storebought stuff.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Control Volume posted:

If people prefer the alton brown recipe it might be because the joy of cooking recipe is too hot; you could probably cut out a cup of liquor, which would mellow it out and make it close to the insanely thick storebought stuff.

I might give this a try, thanks.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Full strength joy nog really does need at least a month of aging to mellow out so if you rushed it that might have been the problem

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Tangential question: if egg whites spend a couple months in the freezer, will they whip up okay?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dagen H posted:

Tangential question: if egg whites spend a couple months in the freezer, will they whip up okay?

I did this a few years ago, before I gave up on the whites, and it worked but took forever iirc

e:

I would have bought something better/darker than bacardi gold but I've already got it on hand and it'll be fine

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 28, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nog done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Where are you keeping all this? I’m hoping to make 2 or 3 gallons and I’m having a tough time convincing my parents to let me keep that much in our fridge for 2 months, much less a full year.