Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
I want to make some nog for the holidays but my partner is allergic to dairy. She's okay with eggs, though, so I don't necessarily need a vegan recipe. I was thinking of using a mix of coconut cream and coconut milk, similar to a coquito, but is it worth adding eggs?

Also: I have a vague memory of a single-serve recipe for eggnog that involved cream, a whole egg, some form of sweetener (simple syrup or honey?) and 2 or 3oz of booze, shaken dry and then with ice. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't find it anywhere online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My half rear end measures for alcohol have made this years batch waaaaay boozier than previous. Definitely more sippy and slow drinking this go around.

Also it’ll be my first year long age since I won’t be giving much out so that’s exciting for next holiday season.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

I did kraken instead of pyrat once and the whole batch gave me projectile diarrhea. Might be a weird allergy on my part.

I've done the kraken spiced rum 3 times now and so far no poo poo situations but I haven't cross tested any different alcohols because it worked the first time so I just rebuy and don't rock the nog boat.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I did a new batch late this year and now I gotta endure waiting for it to mature before I get to enjoy the fruits of my labour. Last year was Wild Turkey and a mix of Cruzan and Kraken, this year I went with dark Havana club and Maker’s Mark so I’m looking forward to comparing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I usually age for a few months to 6 , this year going for a 12 month batch. Will post new thread once the new year starts.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Had just enough leftover nog to use as a coffee creamer and holy poo poo. This may be the new way to drink it for me. Like a fancy rear end irish coffee. Owns

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This came up in the homebrew thread but a reminder to start your nog for the season!

I use the Chow recipe and have had good luck with it for years using Makers Mark for the bourbon. Today Costco had the Barton single barrel stuff for cheaper than Makers so going that route this year.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I had a reminder for Sunday to start noggin, but I'm trying to pack to move so... poo poo
I tried to do a fancy nog once. Farm eggs, good milk, good booze. Didn't really help the end product imo. I feel like time is the icky ingredient worth splurging on.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think if you're going to spend money on any real ingredient bourbon is the place to do so. I've used cheap eggs vs farm organic and not noticed a difference. Same with the milk and cream. The choice of bourbon seems to have the greatest effect.

One year I tried a honey bourbon and while right on the edge of being to sweet it was fantastic. Going back to original recipe this year.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think if you're going to spend money on any real ingredient bourbon is the place to do so. I've used cheap eggs vs farm organic and not noticed a difference. Same with the milk and cream. The choice of bourbon seems to have the greatest effect.

One year I tried a honey bourbon and while right on the edge of being to sweet it was fantastic. Going back to original recipe this year.

Good to know as a "foodie" "friend" dunked on me for using generic store ingredients for the eggs, milk, cream.

May have to try a few batches this year.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I can't say that I'm terribly surprised since one of the major advantages of expensive eggs/milk/cream are freshness and it's being aged for weeks/months. The bourbon also makes up something like 30-40% of the mix. I could maybe see there being some difference if there is variation in the fatty acid compositions of the cream or egg yolks, but honestly the booze and spices probably cover even that up.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My nog just turned a year old! Happy birthday little guy I’m so proud of what you’ve become and the joy you’re going to bring this holiday season.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Time flies, can't believe its been 3 years for this thread. I've let y'all down by not reincarnating it.

Making a batch today to bring some people for Thanksgiving.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I am not sure Smith and Cross was the right option here. It's an odd flavor for nog, but not bad...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Egg Nog reminder folks!

Just made a double batch using this classic recipe:
https://greatist.com/eat/best-eggnog

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Egg Nog reminder folks!

Just made a double batch using this classic recipe:
https://greatist.com/eat/best-eggnog

Yup just made a batch of 'ol reliable. Finally had a chance to try year aged last year and it was amazing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Have you ever saved the egg whites, whipped them up and did the whole normal preparation? How much better does that taste?

I usually just drink mine on the rocks as an eggey and sweet bourbon.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Its noggin time!
I'll be making mine here in the next week or so! I use the typical half booze half custard mix. I still have a pint from last year ready to get me through making the new batch; as is tradition!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Have you ever saved the egg whites, whipped them up and did the whole normal preparation? How much better does that taste?

I usually just drink mine on the rocks as an eggey and sweet bourbon.

I put mine in around summer solstice so I use different egg whites, but it's definitely worth doing at least once. It's nice foamy texture and balances some of the heat from the booze. It's also enough work that I usually don't bother, and I haven't tried fresh nutmeg yet.

I drink mine neat, but sometimes I'll cut it a bit with non-alcoholic grocery store nog.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Made the Bitten Word batch again. Added an extra cup of liquor so we'll see how it turns out :D

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Is there some suitable alternative to egg whites for whipping into your nog?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is there some suitable alternative to egg whites for whipping into your nog?

I guess you could try aqua faba (the water from canned chickpeas), but I dunno how that would play with egg nog. It is used as an egg white substitute in baked goods like meringue, so maybe?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hmm can't say it sounds appetizing tbh. I don't got anything against whipped egg whites however. Just it should be mixed in when using it so it's something of a fresh ingredient and it would be nice if there was something that involved less effort than separating yolks and whites for the occasion. I mean perhaps I could just squirt in canned whip cream!

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

If you're just worried about convenience, you can freeze egg whites in an ice cube tray (to get individual servings) and thaw them when you want to use them. You can also buy cartons of just egg whites, but I'm not sure how reliably you can dose those out to a recipe (e.g. "6 egg whites").

I typically make homemade advocaat at Christmas (which uses a dozen egg yokes and no egg whites), so I conveniently end up with a dozen egg whites that I can then use for the egg nog I have aging in the fridge.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.today.com/food/holidays/hellmanns-mayo-nog-snickerdoodles-review-rcna59818

What on earth

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Is it just California, or has the store-bought non-alcoholic eggnog supply been unusually short elsewhere the last few years? Every December it seems to get scarce earlier, this year it's already hit and miss in the grocery stores. Costco had it for a few days after thanksgiving, now *poof*, nothing but their store brand liqueur.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I mean perhaps I could just squirt in canned whip cream!
This would totally work, it's just that the nog is already very sweet.

I'm testing a thimbleful of this year's batch tonight, starting small to make sure I don't go blind or poo poo myself to death. I cut back 1/2 cup on half-and-half and threw in an extra yolk this round, which seems to have made it approach the consistency of a chocolate malt.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not driving in this mess so I made my first nog. Very happy at d0. 1L JB, 3/4 cup each Appleton and sacred bond. Reminds me I need to drink cream drinks more. I'm curious how I'll like it in 3 weeks and a year, if it makes it there I did use very good cream and milk, and that doesn't matter given time apparently. I hope I'm not just loving the cream and milk

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is a reminder to folks. You should start preparing your eggnog now!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is a reminder to folks. You should start preparing your eggnog now!

I have nog from last year I didn't touch so I'm done!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I always keep a bit that I age for one year so I've got some on hand too.

In my testing 1 year is the perfect amount to age. I haven't noticed much if any improvement beyond that.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Anyone holding on to some pre-pandemic nog?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

And barring that, what's the oldest nog y'all have had, mine's never survived more than 6mo I'm sure someone has that beat.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've got last November batch. More than I expected, I think about a gallon survived. Mild Winter I guess. Never have I kept more than one years worth.
Feels too early to start.. I like it too be cool out. I usually do mine near Halloween.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Remy Marathe posted:

And barring that, what's the oldest nog y'all have had, mine's never survived more than 6mo I'm sure someone has that beat.
I had a batch that I portioned some off and waited 24 months one time, and honestly I don't know if I noticed the difference between 12 and 24 months. The gap between 3 months and 12 months is noticeable, but it's not as great as the initial 2-3 month window.

I'm gonna start my nog this weekend. Haven't fully decided what's going in it this year; as much as I've enjoyed a lot of the flavor subs I've done, I might just stick to a more traditional recipe... or, I could get some ginger liqueur, do something rum forward, and use more of a pfefferneusse spice mix. Or, I've got some bourbon I infused with cherries, maybe I'll use that and use some grated tonka instead of nutmeg. Or I'll do something brandy focused, I haven't made a primarily brandy eggnog yet. poo poo. I need to make some decisions.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

After a series of taste tests this summer I decided calvados would not be good for nog even though it sounded cool in theory. Ultimately ended up with a booze base that was mostly cognac and a sweeter rum, less bourbon than usual. The 3-mo taster bears out what you're saying as it already seems to have done the bulk of thickening and mellowing I'd expect; also way better than last year's.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm prepping for nog this year. I usually do Alton Brown's recipe but adding rye so it's 6oz each of brandy, rum, bourbon, and rye. I've got most of a bottle of Rhum Barbancourt 8 year, would that go well in nog or would the complexity of it just muddy up the flavor? I generally prefer the 4 year because I like the harsher flavor so I don't really ever use the 8 year. I'm planning on Rittenhouse for the rye and OGD Bottled in Bond for the bourbon. Possibly Pierre Ferrand for the brandy, people in the cocktail thread recommended it as a general cocktail brandy.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm prepping for nog this year. I usually do Alton Brown's recipe but adding rye so it's 6oz each of brandy, rum, bourbon, and rye. I've got most of a bottle of Rhum Barbancourt 8 year, would that go well in nog or would the complexity of it just muddy up the flavor? I generally prefer the 4 year because I like the harsher flavor so I don't really ever use the 8 year. I'm planning on Rittenhouse for the rye and OGD Bottled in Bond for the bourbon. Possibly Pierre Ferrand for the brandy, people in the cocktail thread recommended it as a general cocktail brandy.

One year I went with some nice booze, and farm eggs.. I don't think it tasted much different than my normal batch with evan williams/meyers/cheap eggs. I think between aging and all the milk/sugar, it really dulls out the nicer ingredients.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My thing isn't so much it making the nog better as it is I don't want bottles I don't like sitting around forever so I want to buy stuff that I'll drink outside of making egg nog.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Did Alton's recipe this year but I replaced the white sugar with dark brown sugar, and holy moly what a glowup. Gives it a fantastic maple note right at the end, probably my best batch yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I used Talisker 10 this year in the alcohol mix. It was over powering when I first mixed it and I was worrying that I had wasted an expensive bottle of whisky on top of the rest of the ingredients.

But now it's had time to mellow it's incredible, easily my best batch yet.