Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I’ve just made up a batch for Christmas using Alton Brown’s recipe but only had 2 cups of 40% (80 proof) spirit to hand, I topped up with 1 cup of 35% (70 proof) cinnamon liqueur. What are my odds on accidentally ruining everyone’s new year with salmonella, or is that extra 5% negligible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

goodness posted:

12/60000.

But really that should be enough alcohol content, does the video specifically say at least 40% ? I haven't watched it in a bit

I watched a few videos on it and can't remember which one, but one of them did say "make sure to use 3 cups of at least 40%".

I figured that a 2:1 ratio of 40%:35% brings me to an average of 38.3% for the spirit and the recipe probably isn't so fine tuned that that extra 1.7% is going to be the difference between delicious safe egg nog and everyone throwing their guts up.

I just wanted to make sure that nobody here had an anecdote of "Oh god, one year we used 35% and it was a disaster".

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I used Talisker 10 this year in the alcohol mix. It was over powering when I first mixed it and I was worrying that I had wasted an expensive bottle of whisky on top of the rest of the ingredients.

But now it's had time to mellow it's incredible, easily my best batch yet.