Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Check out Unavowed, I think I heard somewhere that it redefines the adventure RPG genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I still love Sam & Max Hit the Road and Grim Fandango

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'll always appreciate Telltale for making "adventure" games accessable to people who don't want to gently caress around in menus 90% of the time trying to figure out the next crappy obtuse puzzle. I don't care what anyone says. Old School adventure games suck rear end.

idk about all old adventure games, but i got day of the tentacle free on the ps4 one month and it was loving awful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Check out Unavowed, I think I heard somewhere that it redefines the adventure RPG genre

This.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Maniac Mansion is good, it let's you do just about anything you can think of and generally it leads to a solution of some sort. There being multiple solutions makes it a lot better than most lucasarts adventure games where you have to follow their insane cartoon logic to figure out what to do

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GorfZaplen posted:

Maniac Mansion is good, it let's you do just about anything you can think of and generally it leads to a solution of some sort. There being multiple solutions makes it a lot better than most lucasarts adventure games where you have to follow their insane cartoon logic to figure out what to do

that was my problem with day of the tentacle. i was stuck right around when you get the chance to start traveling through time, so i caved in and looked up that one particular spoiler and it blew my mind how bad the puzzle was, so i kept going and they were pretty much all like that, so i decided not to waste my time

also the humor was loving awful

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

For some reason Telltale was really, really (REALLY) loving salty that the vast majority of players sided with Kenny instead of Lilly, who they expected people to like somehow, which is why he became a deranged psycho out of seemingly nowhere in S2 (unless you picked Lilly’s path, and then it makes more sense). They’ve said numerous times that siding with Kenny in S1 is strictly not canon, and that’s the only choice they’ve ever really put their foot down like that. It’s really weird. I wonder if they just hated his voice actor or something

lol what the gently caress. Kenny was my boy. I sided against him when he wanted to cave that guy’s head in case he was about to turn but otherwise we were bros all the way. I ended Season 2 walking off into the unknown with him because the safe place wouldn’t allow him in and I refused to enter without him and then never continued the series because that seemed like a decent ending.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Most of season 2 was everyone acting like Kenny was a lunatic because he seemed pissed off all the time but never really did anything crazy, but my favorite was when you spare a secondary villain that you could have killed, and he thanks you by gathering up his posse and ambushing your party, killing one of them, and then everyone acts like Kenny saying you should execute him this time instead of sparing him again means that he’s some kind of evil mad dog psycho. That bad guy then goes on to shoot a little girl but nobody admits that Kenny was right.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played one episode of the first walking dead and hated it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

that was my problem with day of the tentacle. i was stuck right around when you get the chance to start traveling through time, so i caved in and looked up that one particular spoiler and it blew my mind how bad the puzzle was, so i kept going and they were pretty much all like that, so i decided not to waste my time

also the humor was loving awful

Same. I think I hate classic adventure games because I was exposed to Myst first. I watched my uncle play it and the mysterious setting and puzzles were just as obtuse but they were actually fun to figure out. Plus there was way less annoying text and voices to sit through

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'll always appreciate Telltale for making "adventure" games accessable to people who don't want to gently caress around in menus 90% of the time trying to figure out the next crappy obtuse puzzle. I don't care what anyone says. Old School adventure games suck rear end.

Agreed. The only two point and click adventures (out of all that I've tried) is Maniac Mansion on the NES and Discworld for the PS1. Give those two a try.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
lmao discworld is a nightmare even for people who love point and clicks, all the puzzles are gags from the books, its nonsense

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the games wadjet eye puts out (including unavowed) are wonderful and have been getting easier over time, and started pretty easy. i absolutely love the blackwell series

the pleasure in a point and click adventure is a slow burn, it is teasing out the logic of the developers, its like pulling at a knot, finding the right way things go together

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only true point and click game I've played is harvester bc it was funny as hell. I had a guide to get to all the jokes. I still don't think I finished it though

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Unavowed does look cool

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

lmao discworld is a nightmare even for people who love point and clicks, all the puzzles are gags from the books, its nonsense

I remember the best discworld game being the 3rd one which was a detective story thing and dropped a lot of the crap from the 1st game. I never played the 2nd tho

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

the games wadjet eye puts out (including unavowed) are wonderful and have been getting easier over time, and started pretty easy. i absolutely love the blackwell series

the pleasure in a point and click adventure is a slow burn, it is teasing out the logic of the developers, its like pulling at a knot, finding the right way things go together

I want the person who made kathy rain to make more games on the kathy rain verse as well

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Kongming posted:

I still like Quest for Glory to this day but trying to play any of the other old Sierra games is a waste of time.

The qfg games were the best sierra games because the puzzles werent insane Roberta Williams strained logic puzzles and if you didnt want to do the puzzle for max points you always had a couple other solutions like kicking the door down or shooting a spell

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

I want the person who made kathy rain to make more games on the kathy rain verse as well

looks like since 2016 he's been makin a game called "Whispers of A Machine" with another dev (extremely slowly)
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53552.0

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lucasarts game where your puzzle is to use a piece of twine tied to a pigeon to get a pack of fart-gum that someone threw onto the roof, and then use your spork to flick the fart-gum into the security guard's mouth so that he farts so hard he shits himself and has to run to the bath room, allowing you access to the "lovely boxers"

300 pound gen-x nostalgia gamer: "Hahahaha, they don't make games like they used to!"

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I've heard nothing but really good things about that Pillars of the Earth game.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I still like them but yeah. The combining items mechanic was never very interesting to me. Especially in games where you could leave without required stuff and only find out your stuck hours later

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

I never read a single Discworld book and in fact did not even know it was based on a book until years later.

I still loved it, especially the humor and the music. I didn't find the puzzles that ridiculous

Also there was a hidden F bomb in the game that wasn't discovered until like two months ago lol

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Teh worst lucasarts offense was the spitting competition in mi2

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

lucasarts game where your puzzle is to use a piece of twine tied to a pigeon to get a pack of fart-gum that someone threw onto the roof, and then use your spork to flick the fart-gum into the security guard's mouth so that he farts so hard he shits himself and has to run to the bath room, allowing you access to the "lovely boxers"

300 pound gen-x nostalgia gamer: "Hahahaha, they don't make games like they used to!"

if you knew ANYTihing you know that's classic sierra logic especially kings quest 5 style. lucasarts games were generally much less obtuse for the most part although they did have some egregious ones too liek THE DIG which starts off with a musicpuzzle iirc. gently caress you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I played all those games as a child + the sierra ones and it probably made me insane. Space Quest 1 had a cool thing where if you get caught by some random alien chasing you who tries to kiss you in the first zone of the game, much later, about 5 minutes from the end of the game, a Xenomorph chestburster pops out of your body and kills you and you basically have to play the whole game over if you want to see the ending

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

if you knew ANYTihing you know that's classic sierra logic especially kings quest 5 style. lucasarts games were generally much less obtuse for the most part although they did have some egregious ones too liek THE DIG which starts off with a musicpuzzle iirc. gently caress you

The Dig puzzle where you have to put the skeleton back together completely broke me mentally and spiritually as a kid and I never recovered

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Anyway Indiana Jones & The Curse of Atlantis by Lucasarts is probably the old adventure game that holds up the best just because it has multiple puzzle solutions and ways to fight or talk your way out of situations where you can't solve the puzzle

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

The Dig puzzle where you have to put the skeleton back together completely broke me mentally and spiritually as a kid and I never recovered

i'm pretty sure i gave up on it at the music puzzle 10 minutes into the gamesince those are always the worst

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

i'm pretty sure i gave up on it at the music puzzle 10 minutes into the gamesince those are always the worst

I don't even remember that. I stopped playing because my mom made me uninstall it because there's some mini game where when you lose the VO says "drat. drat. Double drat!" and that was too much for her

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played the Longest Journey a couple years back and really liked it. Its pretty easy for an old school adventure game. I needed to look up a few of the puzzles but it was generally pretty easy to figure out and the story was good.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

from what i remember of it i think the dig was very easy and way less obtuse after the first puzzles but also its an average game in a genre where even the best games are merely ok so i wouldnt recommend revisiting it

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I found Tales of the Borderlands highly amusing

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

julian assflange posted:

I found Tales of the Borderlands highly amusing

i found it shallow and pedantic.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Loaderbot was my favorite character

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The Rolfe Among Us S2 had the most potential out of their working titles. It's the only one with a somewhat interesting premise even tho it was just TwizTeD FaiRyTaLeZ

Sorry, but there's only room in my heart for one wolf-based adventure game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it turns out shutting off the lights overnight and not paying out severances while an executive board is still cashing checks from game sales is a violation of labor laws and Telltale is being brought to court in California

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

They're also posting about shopping the walking dead ip around instead of paying severances, lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kinda unrelated but EA refused to take the loot boxes out of FIFA 19 in Belgium, where lootboxes were declared gambling a few months ago, and if the game ships this Friday with the ultimate team stuff still in it they're going to court against the Belgian government. Loot boxes may actually be gone from gaming in the next few years...thank you Belgium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

it turns out shutting off the lights overnight and not paying out severances while an executive board is still cashing checks from game sales is a violation of labor laws and Telltale is being brought to court in California

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

They're also posting about shopping the walking dead ip around instead of paying severances, lol

Jej.

• Locked thread