Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Making me nostalgic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!
Forget Classic WoW, where is Classic AO? The game was so much fun and I played it WAY too often. Thankfully Shadowlands came out and ruined the game for me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Habibus posted:

Forget Classic WoW, where is Classic AO? The game was so much fun and I played it WAY too often. Thankfully Shadowlands came out and ruined the game for me.

I'm still bitter about SL

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

please knock Mom! posted:

Use the old client, it has less slowdowns.

You're right, it does. Weird.

Been trying a few different professions, since I used to only play Advent back in the day. Credits are such a pain in the rear end to get at low levels. I've been converting the monster parts found in missions into plasma, but it's not nearly enough. I mean, I'm getting by, but it would be nice to be able to afford other stuff besides basic meds/nano crystals. Hard to resist the urge to drop $4 on 2 billion credits...

This game is so great, though. MA is bad-rear end.

What profs did you guys used to play?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Soldier, trader, agent, enforcer

Enforcer loving rules.

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!
My main was an Enforcer, was one of the first to get the enhanced queen blade way back then too. I also had a NT, but she never got above level 160ish.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Habibus posted:

My main was an Enforcer, was one of the first to get the enhanced queen blade way back then too. I also had a NT, but she never got above level 160ish.

my NT has an eqb lol

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

I'm still bitter about SL
i only played this game super casually back in the day (because i was a literal child) but i thought i remembered people being happy when shadowlands came out. were there big things about it people hated?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

cams posted:

i only played this game super casually back in the day (because i was a literal child) but i thought i remembered people being happy when shadowlands came out. were there big things about it people hated?

I liked SL too. One awful thing that springs to mind though were the huge pain on the rear end Ergo quests you had to do to progress deeper. Also I suppose that settingwise SL moved from the original technological sci-fi towards some kind of weird mythical mystical whatever something sci-fi. Beats me because gently caress if I listened those yuttos talk lol

But dunno really where most SL hate comes from, it was alright.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
SL moved AO from cool cyberpunk game to yet another drab fantasy game. The areas were so rich in XP and valuable loot that RK became deserted overnight. It was full of selfish kiters running around death trains, lag, overtuned mobs, and the dumbest of dumb quests. The biggest mistake Funcom made was making RK completely obsolete by making the Shadowlands better in every single way for leveling. There's zero reason to ever go back to Rubi-Ka aside from dipping down at level 60 and 100 for some nodrop dungeon items.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

heckler grinding, g loving g

also rep grinding to increase sk% gains

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

I remember my guild of incredibly care bear 'don't even think about saying something negative about the developers on OUR forums' types being actually mad and even sarcastic in guild chat about them adding maximum effective attack rating too weapons because everyone in the Shadowlands beta realized immediately the stats on expansion pack weapons were trash and took their beta characters back too Rubi-Ka to get weapons.
They gave existing weapons a much much lower maximum attack rating than the new ones with worse stats to make Shadowlands weapons competitive. Except the Custom Desert Reet from Biomare, which they just missed and a level 80 gun became the best offhand in the game for the rest of time.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 18, 2018

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!

SL moved AO from cool cyberpunk game to yet another drab fantasy game. The areas were so rich in XP and valuable loot that RK became deserted overnight. It was full of selfish kiters running around death trains, lag, overtuned mobs, and the dumbest of dumb quests. The biggest mistake Funcom made was making RK completely obsolete by making the Shadowlands better in every single way for leveling. There's zero reason to ever go back to Rubi-Ka aside from dipping down at level 60 and 100 for some nodrop dungeon items.

Basically everything in RK was made obsolete as you said, and also almost all your nanos, etc. It was a totally different game that they tacked on for some stupid reason. Some of the stupid things they did:

NT's nanos gave huge amounts of threat overnight, forcing you to use the stupid re-compiler and the SL nukes so you don't pull aggro as an NT. People were having fun with weapons on their NTs, can't have that.

Most RK nanos didn't work in SL. RRFE was the big one for me being our guild's main tank as an Enforcer. Couldn't tank no where near as effectively because I was getting hit like at truck. Primal rage? Oh that DOT you get from it changed from 72 per second to like 1000 per second.

Mobs being WAY overtuned and having insane AC meaning you always hit for minimum on them, severely limiting weapon choice in the game and all your hits hitting for the same amount of damage every single time.

Only ONE mob in the ENTIRE game would give faction so you can actually get some stupid SK. Oh that mob is a 3 hour spawn and everyone that is level 200+ on your faction is camping it too. Better do as much damage as possible to get some faction.

Mobs overtuned again : Not being able to get any SK besides Hecklers until you get into the last few zones so mobs aren't grey anymore. Oh those grey mobs from the previous zone? They will pack in your poo poo if you aren't careful and you won't get any rewards from killing them.

So many stupid items you had to carry around. Tons of keys and insignias just to get anywhere. Also having to remove vital pieces of armor to wear zone specific gear that gave no stats, just prevented the DOTs from said zone from killing you. As an Atrox I was able to self-equip my helmet and all my armor but I sure did miss like say the -10% nano cost or HP bonus not to mention the AC of the piece of armor that I had to remove to wear some stupid shades. Other classes/races had to get buffs to get their helmet or boots back on.

The game became totally linear, no PVP zones like in RK, etc. It just took a good game that was fun and rewarding and turned it into a poo poo show grind. I quit after I reached level 205 and went to WoW with most of my guild (Legion on RK1).

The grind was NOT fun at all. Hecklers, Hecklers, Hecklers. This is coming from someone that hit 200 with just missions back in the day. I have over 5000 Omni tokens still on my Enforcer from doing so many missions. Grinding missions was still more fun than anything that Shadowlands had to offer.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Not much to add on the gameplay, I remember enjoying it once the game stabilized, but didn't play that long really.

Whenever I think about Anarchy Online I always thinkabout the launch. when it came out I was working at Electronics Boutique in a mall back in my hometown while I was home from college on Summer break. The day after launch, we had a line of people outside the store when I got in, waiting on it to open. I thought I had missed a memo about a new game coming out or something. Nope, there were 20+ people waiting in line for refunds because they couldn't play the game due to lag. After the third person yelled at us for not accepting returns on opened games that had activation keys, the manager stood up on the stool we had for stocking shelves, and asked if everyone was inline to return the game, and they all said yes. He explained the no returns thing, and everyone started booing. Lots of them stayed in line anyway and tried to convince us to take THEIR return, because they had special reasons. I look back on it and smile now, but at the time I was just ready to get the hell out of that job and back to school.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

War Eagle posted:

Not much to add on the gameplay, I remember enjoying it once the game stabilized, but didn't play that long really.

Whenever I think about Anarchy Online I always thinkabout the launch. when it came out I was working at Electronics Boutique in a mall back in my hometown while I was home from college on Summer break. The day after launch, we had a line of people outside the store when I got in, waiting on it to open. I thought I had missed a memo about a new game coming out or something. Nope, there were 20+ people waiting in line for refunds because they couldn't play the game due to lag. After the third person yelled at us for not accepting returns on opened games that had activation keys, the manager stood up on the stool we had for stocking shelves, and asked if everyone was inline to return the game, and they all said yes. He explained the no returns thing, and everyone started booing. Lots of them stayed in line anyway and tried to convince us to take THEIR return, because they had special reasons. I look back on it and smile now, but at the time I was just ready to get the hell out of that job and back to school.

My 13 year old brain rebelled by renaming my desktop shortcut "Anarchy Offline" because you basically couldnt stay logged in for the first two weeks.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

forbidden dialectics posted:

My 13 year old brain rebelled by renaming my desktop shortcut "Anarchy Offline" because you basically couldnt stay logged in for the first two weeks.

My friends and I gathered outside Rome on day 1 to, to the best of our knowledge, create the first guild in-game.

Triggering the guild creation thing, of course, crashed the game.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Conskill posted:

My friends and I gathered outside Rome on day 1 to, to the best of our knowledge, create the first guild in-game.

Triggering the guild creation thing, of course, crashed the game.

The gameplay was extremely compelling. I loved leveling up to like 6 in the newbie yard and then walking out into Tir and immediately crash.

That said, I haven't enjoyed an MMO quite like AO in a long time. It was the last, I think, of the truly "sandbox" type games. Simplistic gameplay but things like twinking with buffs/items, the implant system, etc were all pretty deep and kept it interesting. That and Rubi-Ka was actually a really interesting setting.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Petition for the classic bandwagon.

AO: Classic!!!!!!!

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
SL was kind of crap. but i do have a nostalgic fondness for how mysterious and imposing its levels, or planes, or whatever, could be, by virtue of ao's mostly pre-wow design philosophy. it was really dangerous to wander around some of the later planes without a group. and you needed to complete big quest chains to even get in or teleport around. it really did sell the notion in the lore that the shadowlands were an obscure and dangerous frontier.

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013
Been grinding out some levels over the past few weeks as a Fixer (mission to get the fixer grid was really cool). This game is still a blast and I've been loving it. No major gameplay problems yet, servers seem stable so far.

Lots of nice people still. I had some random guy come up to me while I was scanning missions and just handed me 1mil and walked off, not saying a word. Probably inspected me and saw I was wearing garbage and missing several implants.

As a froob account I'm noticing there's a lot of good leveling weapons that are SL locked, which is kind of a pain in the rear end, but they gotta give incentives to subs I guess.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

brothertim posted:

Been grinding out some levels over the past few weeks as a Fixer (mission to get the fixer grid was really cool). This game is still a blast and I've been loving it. No major gameplay problems yet, servers seem stable so far.

Lots of nice people still. I had some random guy come up to me while I was scanning missions and just handed me 1mil and walked off, not saying a word. Probably inspected me and saw I was wearing garbage and missing several implants.

As a froob account I'm noticing there's a lot of good leveling weapons that are SL locked, which is kind of a pain in the rear end, but they gotta give incentives to subs I guess.

In defense of Funcom, those SL weapons that completely outshine regular RK weapons predate the f2p model.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I am back on my extremely dumb bullshit and subbed to this dead gay game for a month

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I've got a lot of nostalgia of this game from my middle school days but every time I log back in I'm reminded why I don't play anymore. :(

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If this game wasn't dead I would play it still lol

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Same if there wasn't both a sub fee and a cash shop

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mercury_Storm posted:

Same if there wasn't both a sub fee and a cash shop

How do you expect them to run the game for free

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'd take either a sub fee or a cash shop, both is pushing it for any game, especially a dead one

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Free logins on subbed accounts till the 18th, get in losers

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I miss games with XP camps. So much comadery

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Funcom is making a paid only TLP server

https://www.facebook.com/anarchyonline/photos/a.10150904796001088/10156062891596088/?type=3&theater

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lmAO

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

lol

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

The worst part in all this, after the initial lol, was me realising I will play that thing

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fewd posted:

The worst part in all this, after the initial lol, was me realising I will play that thing

Same, lets group

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

tir leet hunting grp lfm 2/6
*3 hours pass*
tir leet hunting grp lfm 3/6
tir leet hunting grp lfm 2/6 - gotta have at least krutt
tir leet hunting grp lfm 2/6 - gotta have at least krutt ffs

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Good ole Bronto Burger and Zoo groups.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
quick, what's the most overpowered profession or profession combo in vanilla AO

were crats ridiculous at launch as well or naw

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this guy on the facebook post sums it up pretty well

quote:

Ha. Haha. Hahahaha. So you're going to make another paid server where you can play like a froob, while simultaneously splitting the existing population in 2. Your marketing team... I swear. Their team name should be called Anarchy Online. How in the absolute hell do you all still exist as a company?

otoh i am now in my 30s and idgaFFFFFFFFFFF about $15 sooooooooooooo

but like, legit, idk how they think taking "froob experience" and then adding paywall will = good

E: then again i went to the funcom site and they STILL describe the new engine as being an 'open beta' and tbh... this whole idea is just going to fail miserably

i will still probably give them at least $15 :shrug:

quick, what's the most overpowered profession or profession combo in vanilla AO

were crats ridiculous at launch as well or naw

lol my son, let me tell you about a thing called grid armor

Worf fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Fewd posted:

i'm getting the urge :/

i wish they would do something like soe and have a silver account with light restrictions so i could at least login to my old paid account and look around and check out my characters

Kak fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 27, 2019