Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
The engine update does make the game look nicer, it just crashes sometimes when you use the whompaas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I've been dual boxing (with the help of isboxer, which is complicated + great) a pair of Nano Technicians on the normal server (seems like rk2019 is dead?), so if you see Thelmah and Lhouise running around please say hi!

and my god, they've made it easy af to twink the hell out of your character. I managed, with very little effort, to put ql50 implants in at level 9. The last time I played (long ago lol) that would have taken many tedious hours of laddering; this time I just stacked neuronal stimulator, a buff item that gave 20int/psy and a pair of research bonuses. Easy peasy (although discovering the account I reactivated had half a billion credits on one of the characters probably helped 🙃)

It has been fun answering the question: "Can two lvl 14 NTs with 200 something matter creation AoE solo everything up to Abmouth?" ... the answer is Oh My Yes (but can they take Abmouth? lol no)

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I sure wish the female social clothing was more than just a textured skin suit; I look like someone spray painted my tits through a flower stencil

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

I sure wish the female social clothing was more than just a textured skin suit; I look like someone spray painted my tits through a flower stencil

Rolling atrox would have solved all of your concerns

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Once again, I am ashamed of myself

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah twinking is a lot easier, but player characters are also just stronger in general. If you want to kill abmouth you probably just need some outside buffs

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

please knock Mom! posted:

Yeah twinking is a lot easier, but player characters are also just stronger in general. If you want to kill abmouth you probably just need some outside buffs

I ended up rolling an enforcer to bring to the party. Thelma and Louise and Beckuh are ready to rumble.

They’ve all got Shades of Lucubration but when I went to check the price on outfitting them with 6 VREs I almost choked (4.5 billion credits is A Lot).

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

They’ve all got Shades of Lucubration but when I went to check the price on outfitting them with 6 VREs I almost choked (4.5 billion credits is A Lot).

This is what we were talking about earlier in the thread. The economy on the old server is so broken now, the prices are just ridiculous. A character can't even carry that much money on them. There are items selling for dozens of billions of credits, which if you were to try and get that many credits legit, it would have taken years, or been impossible, the way the payment system is meant to work.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The last time I played was like two or three years ago and simply running missions as a fixer for various nanos people didn't want to roll/farm for got me maxed out on credits in a day or three.

This was still not enough to buy grid armor because of whatever credit limitation on free accounts.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
One day I want to get my original-roll opifex fixer from launch into GA mk4 but omg I have no desire to grind 2 and 3, much less 4...

:ohdear:

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

One day I want to get my original-roll opifex fixer from launch into GA mk4 but omg I have no desire to grind 2 and 3, much less 4...

:ohdear:

Yeah, I have the program for GA I ready to load on my fixer, but raising the skills to use it sucks, especially if I will never spend the time getting the higher versions, which will be essential by then. Better just to use the shadow spinner program they added with Shadowlands.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Floob posted:

This is what we were talking about earlier in the thread. The economy on the old server is so broken now, the prices are just ridiculous. A character can't even carry that much money on them. There are items selling for dozens of billions of credits, which if you were to try and get that many credits legit, it would have taken years, or been impossible, the way the payment system is meant to work.

is the economy on rk2019 any better? Or, is that server still active?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Floob posted:

Yeah, I have the program for GA I ready to load on my fixer, but raising the skills to use it sucks, especially if I will never spend the time getting the higher versions, which will be essential by then. Better just to use the shadow spinner program they added with Shadowlands.

I got GA1 back when O1 Trade was still poppin'. I vaguely remember going through the whole quest, having to hand the pieces off to different NPCs (a bunch in Neutral territory, which I had never been to), and then just using GA1 long after I should have switched to GA2 and twinked into GA3...
:sweatdrop:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Server's dead as hell. Everyone moved back to the old one. It was super super great when it was still new and ongoing though, with lots of active groups, people organizing 'raids' in ToTW, twinking being cool again, etc.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

The short answer is yes, but only because there are far fewer credits in circulation. But as mentioned already, the activity there is dreadful, so is it even worth playing on that server? I don't think it is.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

I got GA1 back when O1 Trade was still poppin'. I vaguely remember going through the whole quest, having to hand the pieces off to different NPCs (a bunch in Neutral territory, which I had never been to), and then just using GA1 long after I should have switched to GA2 and twinked into GA3...
:sweatdrop:

Grid Armor? Grid Armor isn't a quest, it's a rare program. You find the program disk at an extremely rare rate from any mob within the level range. I found mine after weeks fighting bloaters in Forman's Office and then created the nano program with my Engineer. That was years ago, and I have kept it in my bank. Another nightmarish technology... AO banking...

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Probably confusing with fgrid quests.

I think it's only good that rk2019 is dead. Generally speaking a sensible prerequisite for having a second server is that the first one doesn't resemble the surface of Venus when it comes to player population.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 23, 2021

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Fewd posted:

I think it's only good that rk2019 is dead. Generally speaking a sensible prerequisite for having a second server is that the first one doesn't resemble the surface of Venus when it comes to player population.

And as far as I am concerned, the new server "New Engine" didn't address anything. The game is graphically... passable, but the ancient systems in place need an overhaul, and they didn't touch those. The banking system we talked about, inventory, aggression mechanics, all of the little bugs that have haunted us for 20 years. Wrapping the game with an additional couple pixels is not the new experience I am looking for.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I wish I could find my notes on farming Grid Armor, because it was remarkably effective. My wife and I both played fixers and I was able to farm all 4 GA's for both of us as well as an extra couple for selling. This was all pre shadowlands. There was a very specific set of mission sliders that you used that would make it a high percentage chance the boss was a particular mob type (Cyborg Maybe) and it was something like the boss being 3 levels higher than the nano. It was similar to blitzing nanos but the exception was you would also hit all the crates in the mission before blitzing to the boss.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Fewd posted:

oh yeaaaaaah! It was the fixer grid quest!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Server's dead as hell. Everyone moved back to the old one. It was super super great when it was still new and ongoing though, with lots of active groups, people organizing 'raids' in ToTW, twinking being cool again, etc.

Yeah, I played on it from launch through level cap 60 or so? It was the most fun I’d had in an online game in almost 20 years.

I’d love to hear about the revenue that server generated; it was incredibly active in the beginning and everyone had a sub so I had assumed it was at least semi profitable? I wish they did a progression server on the regular

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I’d love to hear about the revenue that server generated

I recall people posting public Funcom financial reports in the past. Those might have something about it but I got no idea where to find them.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Yeah, I played on it from launch through level cap 60 or so? It was the most fun I’d had in an online game in almost 20 years.

I’d love to hear about the revenue that server generated; it was incredibly active in the beginning and everyone had a sub so I had assumed it was at least semi profitable? I wish they did a progression server on the regular

The level caps forced creativity and twinking. In the real game, getting to 220 is all that matters nowadays

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

The level caps forced creativity and twinking. In the real game, getting to 220 is all that matters nowadays

tbh, even though I'm on rk5 I'm not super interested in getting to 220; rather, I'm crossing items off of my (ancient) AO bucket list.

• craft a set of VTEs
  • complete the main shadowlands quest line
  • get grid armor
  • make my own city (lol)
  • "solo" Tarasque

maybe do some dynas as well? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

tbh, even though I'm on rk5 I'm not super interested in getting to 220; rather, I'm crossing items off of my (ancient) AO bucket list.

• craft a set of VTEs
  • complete the main shadowlands quest line
  • get grid armor
  • make my own city (lol)
  • "solo" Tarasque

maybe do some dynas as well? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still play my main character I created on the day of launch, and it was the slowest grind of any game I have ever played. Too much hanging out at Reets, or the Cup, and just enjoying the story the players were always putting together. The only questing I can remember were the quests for the sided-shoulder pads. You had to run around and kill all the robot bosses, Trash King, etc. Then when they implemented social clothing I did a bunch of those missions. Getting to 200 and then 220 was never the goal for me. I finally did get to 220, but I was 209 for a couple years before I finally made the push. The daily missions I hate did help quite a bit...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Floob posted:

I still play my main character I created on the day of launch, and it was the slowest grind of any game I have ever played. Too much hanging out at Reets, or the Cup, and just enjoying the story the players were always putting together. The only questing I can remember were the quests for the sided-shoulder pads. You had to run around and kill all the robot bosses, Trash King, etc. Then when they implemented social clothing I did a bunch of those missions. Getting to 200 and then 220 was never the goal for me. I finally did get to 220, but I was 209 for a couple years before I finally made the push. The daily missions I hate did help quite a bit...

The crazy thing was, especially at release, leveling in AO felt so fast. In other games released at the same time, leveling up was like AD&D: it was supposed to be special and take forever. AO made a point of giving you dings every few minutes...kill a few leets and level up. It made the game feel like there was no grind, because it was pretty easy to level up pretty much every play session, if you could find a group. My poor fixer, with my lovely build, was always picked last for dodgeball...
:unsmith::hf::smith:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

BUMMBUMMBUMMBUMMMMMMMMMMM

sorry i was shooting my QL 200 manex on burst on my fixer that was not picked last

They would be like omg Galladro would you please come tank this team mish for us, it is so incredible how versatile you are """""ESPECIALLY SINCE U DONT HAVE GA!!"""""""

Noobs thinking you were a bad fixer for not being blue was annoying af

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

BUMMBUMMBUMMBUMMMMMMMMMMM

sorry i was shooting my QL 200 manex on burst on my fixer that was not picked last

They would be like omg Galladro would you please come tank this team mish for us, it is so incredible how versatile you are """""ESPECIALLY SINCE U DONT HAVE GA!!"""""""

Noobs thinking you were a bad fixer for not being blue was annoying af

While shadowlands was/is a hot mess for balance I absolutely love thst they broke ga over it's knee. I have always mained a fixer and I didn't really enjoy the single dimensional game play it brought. At some point I'd love to return and finish his build. I think I only lack the beta to alpha upgrade.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Nosthula posted:

While shadowlands was/is a hot mess for balance I absolutely love thst they broke ga over it's knee. I have always mained a fixer and I didn't really enjoy the single dimensional game play it brought. At some point I'd love to return and finish his build. I think I only lack the beta to alpha upgrade.

And not playing a fixer until well after SL was live and the game was old, I had no idea that happened. I remember visiting the Fixer Nano shop and seeing the Shadow Web Spinner nano thing and was like "Woah... when did they do that?!!" Main Fixers must have been pissed, especially any that spent money on buying GA.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
GA is still good and useful but yeah it’s no longer just the best thing to do. It ruled hard in tower pvp though

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I'm getting flashbacks running around Omni trying to find implant parts while this played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q29q3aeY3Jk

Now I'm both happy and sad :(

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ddiddles posted:

I'm getting flashbacks running around Omni trying to find implant parts while this played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q29q3aeY3Jk

Now I'm both happy and sad :(

Yeah...that's some good :member:

Just running around between shops for hours, listening to WinAmp while hearing that big hit in the background on a loop... :hmmyes:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i remember spamming mission stations trying to land some sweet level 45 pistol, cant remember what it was now.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I still watch the old intro from time to time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s3kKU1PYxw

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

AO has such good music and atmosphere, it's almost unparalleled

queeb posted:

i remember spamming mission stations trying to land some sweet level 45 pistol, cant remember what it was now.

I always loved how a noob with a keen eye could make seriously good money if they hustled

I learned so much about salesmanship from this game, I started mimicking TV ads and stuff in the trade channels. 14 years old, saying poo poo like "Don't be a scrub and farm your own nanos like a poor, Gal's blitzing service starts at a measly 5m/nano"

My dad has run his own businesses for my entire life and I would always learn and work with him, I think he taught me that making people feel small for not spending money worked pretty well on some personality types when I was like 6. A decade later I was putting it into practice, im sure he's v proud

As I mentioned, I would have to maintain spreadsheets of customer requests. I ended up doing the same thing around the same time renting counter strike servers and then selling server admin to teens with Napoleon complexes, which ultimately paid for all my gaming+computer + going out on Friday needs in high school

Anyway, virtual and real e-commerce was fun and thank you for reading and or skipping my post for being too long/tangentially related

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
just used one of my account's free 'heckler juice' rewards to get an agent capable of casting uh, basically every buff; would recommend (although not being able to cast the composite MP buffs past 'teachings' is a bummer).

I know it is going to taper off eventually, but having my NT run around at lvl 25 with 500 (I think?) matter creation is hilarious and cool ... things just explode. I was trying to ladder my way to 321 int/psy for VTEs but I think it might be literally impossible at this level; shiny treatment clusters sharing a slot with shiny intelligence clusters is rough. I think I'd need QL 85 Miy's Nano in cloak, helmet, and sleeves (would have to farm myself probably), two alien levels (sure), and QL 125 implants (uuughhh)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
What is Heckler Juice?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What is Heckler Juice?

Cash shop way to get a character to 200 IIRC.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

Cash shop way to get a character to 200 IIRC.

Yeah, and if your account is old enough (several years?) you get some for free. There are 4 of them and they take you to 60, 100, 150, and 200 (each with a level requirement equal to where the previous juice left you)

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
oooooooooooh!

So I can pay to twink myself?