Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Hexel posted:

do they have cat girls

They have deformed old people without mouths as a character option, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

I seem to remember blue space elf girls?

They're grey, but yeah. Opifex.

All the playable breeds are human off-shoots to varying degrees of distance, but one of them is definitely short, nimble, and grey.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

forbidden dialectics posted:

My 13 year old brain rebelled by renaming my desktop shortcut "Anarchy Offline" because you basically couldnt stay logged in for the first two weeks.

My friends and I gathered outside Rome on day 1 to, to the best of our knowledge, create the first guild in-game.

Triggering the guild creation thing, of course, crashed the game.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

RK2019 FAQ posted:

The server starts with no expansions and a low level cap (10).

Did they drop a zero or is this the worst Hell ever invented by man?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

This is actually fun lmao

Yeah, and they actually made some QoL fixes to Metaphysicists at some point? This is strange and frightening.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

ElBrak posted:

Looks like funcom is have trouble firing back up all these old accounts, I rebought my subscription 9 hours ago and it is still frozen. And the support forums are filled with similar posts.

Are you paying via PayPal? It was obnoxious trying to get that to work, so I eventually relented and gave them a CC number and they were able to process that within 10ish minutes.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Neutral for sanity purposes right now. Rolled both Clan and Omni and got repulsed by the chatter. Neutral chat seems surprisingly tame in contrast so far.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I've picked up 2x illegally modified ofab panthers for my MP. Not sure I can put them on at 20 at the level of twinking I'm willing to embark on, but it'll be nice when I get them on.

Trying to decide if I want to go through the hassle of getting a living cyber armor suit or not. Probably not this time around.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

nerox posted:

What's the best place to roll missions for Omni?

Does clicksaver still work? I need to make some money for some newbie implants today and maybe finish leveling to 20 and getting an ofab SMG.

I prefer Rome Blue, but I have no empirical evidence to support that Rome is better than Omni-1.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I turned myself into a liar and managed to get both panthers on at 20 with some implants and buffs. I am now a Metaphysicist that does at least 1.5x the melee damage of my fully buffed meatball.

I don't know what the next level boost is going to be, but I hope it stays low enough for me to enjoy this for awhile.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

If you're floating in the other kind of cultist bux, the Backyard Explorer pack from the microtrans store includes a med suit.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

frajaq posted:

give it to me straight, is this game good

The game has more Star Wars Galaxies DNA in it than World of Warcraft. It's a clunky-rear end game that's charm is a bizarre techno-magical setting and the ability to do wild things with your character's build -- almost everything is based on your character's skill levels rather than your holistic character level, and there are many ways to both permanently and temporarily raise your skills to cast spells or equip items you "shouldn't" be able to.

The actual mechanics of murdering critters range from tolerable to meh depending on class, and the raid scene is hilariously, almost unplayably retro. Without the nostalgia bug, this game's only there for the complex character building and the peek into pre-themepark MMOs.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

For the uninitiated, there are three tiers of teleporting in AO.

1) Whompahs. Think flight-paths from WoW, but each segment only takes as much time as it takes to load the next zone. These are open to everyone, take no money or skill, and form a broad but not very dense network across the game -- you can jump in less than a minute from one side of the game to the other, but there's not many places to stop in between.

2) The Grid. Think a special short-cut zone full of teleporters. These are skill-locked (to the Computer Literacy skill), but open to any class that wants to make the buy in. More and more Comp Lit opens more short cuts.

3) Profession-specific travel. Fixers get the Fixer Grid, like #2 but way more teleport locations. Doctors (and I think Fixers?) get the ability to enter the Grid from anywhere on Rubi-ka. Nano-Technicians get WoW-Mage-style city teleport programs.

Currently #1 is completely available, bits of #2 is (Computer Literacy can't be boosted high enough yet to make full use of the Grid), and #3 is not available (AFAIK none of the options I listed are castable at the current cap, even with twinking).

I'd argue that's a lot of teleporting, actually, though the spirit of Whitefire's comment is true. The idea again is AO is huge and the non-Fixer Grid sources of teleportation are all wide but not dense. Even though you can get from anywhere with Whompah/Grid access to anywhere else on the networks really quickly, that "small" distance left to walk through the woods can still be quite a few minutes long.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Anarchy Online's Story in a Nutshell:

I did a post like this for the previous thread, and figured since there's newbie interest I'd do it again. Anarchy Online's story is terribly translated and spread through a lot of source material, including a novel (Prophet Without Honour). But don't worry, I nerded out so you don't have to. I'm including details up to and including Prophet Without Honour, but leaving out Shadowlands and Alien Invasion additions because progression server. All details are from memory.

In the beginning there was the Source. The Source is the source of all life and possibly all existence and in the original state of the universe it was physically present in the galaxy.

The Xan were the firstborn of the universe, the progenitor race from which all other sapient creatures in the galaxy diverge from. They created an advanced technological empire and using their metaphysical tech attempted to directly exploit the Source for its unlimited power. This broke the universe -- the metaphysical Source was thrown into another dimension, leaving behind a barren shell that humanity would later call Rubi-ka.

Fast forward a few zillion years. The Xan that got thrown out of the universe with the Source evolved and morphed into two species and ideologies. The Redeemed are ethereal, angelic beings that seek to prevent further damage to the universe. The Unredeemed are stark, demonic beings that want to try again figuring this time they'll get it right. The Xan that stayed in the universe eventually became humanity and other "alien" species.

The Redeemed and Unredeemed have some kind of limited access to reality, and the Unredeemed sought to exploit humanity in their quest to try and unlock the Source (again). Being demonic assholes, this begins with the near-annihilation of the human race. Using their technology, they elicit the help of corporate elites to usher in a new world order. A bio-engineered plague winnows much of humanity away, meanwhile previously unimaginable nanotech permits the capitalists to become immortal beings called the Omega. The Omega rule as tyrannical oligarchies for thousands of years, before a messiah-like figure (propped up by the Redeemed) overthrows them.

A few of the Omega survive the purges that follow and eventually go to found an incredibly powerful corporation called Omni-Tek. They pioneer research into nanotechnology and space exploration and, again across thousands of years, eventually discover Rubi-ka. Rubi-ka was a Mars-like barren planet prior to Omni-Tek terraforming it, and they did so because it is the sole source of the element Notum. Notum by some physically suspicious means hyper-charges nanotechnology and allows it to perform miraculous feats that, coincidentally, might bring a historian to remember the Omega.

You see, remember that Rubi-ka is the physical shell of the Source, and some of its cosmic power was calcified into it. Notum is magic, literally. It is magic in physical form and nanotechnology infused by it (which is now virtually all nanotechnology) is a hyper-involved, rational approach to casting magic spells.

So Omni-Tek claims Rubi-ka, terraforms it just enough to be profitable, and starts shipping out tons and tons of Notum for research and production across the galaxy. Because they are genocidal capitalist assholes they do this in the most amoral way possible, eventually instigating revolt among their workforce. Work disagreements turn to open revolution and the nascent Clans claim the desert, barely terraformed lands to the north.

That's roughly where the Progression server is story-wise (the story continues through the Anarchy Online expansions). Omni-tek and the Clans are in open conflict over who truly owns the planet, meanwhile the Unredeemed and Omega continue to probe at the borders of reality here where it's at its thinnest to see how they can access the Source. Something is going to break, and hopefully it won't be humanity. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

queeb posted:

went with fixer, are most people neutral?

Most people are sided, but Neutral has its perks and especially for Fixers (the Fixer Grid quest takes you all over the loving map, included deep into areas held by both factions).

The main thing sides give you is tokens to improve a neck-slot item. The item gets really, really powerful over time/tokens, but neutrals do have their own suite of things to put into the neck slot that, while inferior, don't leave them completely absent a slot.