Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.
If anyone wants to relive the nostalgia, AO is free this week (Oct 12-19). From their FB page:

Halloween descends on Rubi-ka October 12 - November 5!

Hop in for a new outdoor encounter, new 1-month subscription offer, and a FREE WEEK* for anyone with an account in good standing!

(*Free Week - October 12 - October 19, 2018)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Chomposaur posted:

The only thing I remember about AO was my college roommate played it with goons, and there was some complicated gearing ladder where you had to get certain buffs and gear to bootstrap your way into equipping more powerful gear.

It sounded very complicated. If you're still out there goon roommate, I salute your min maxing.

The system wasn't that complicated, but there were too many gear slots: armor, weapons, HUD items, and implants. On top of that, classes had unique stat buffs. So you could ladder your way to the moon at low levels, with enough effort. I think for many veteran players, that was the appeal. You felt like you earned your busted gear.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Kak posted:

i'm getting the urge :/

i wish they would do something like soe and have a silver account with light restrictions so i could at least login to my old paid account and look around and check out my characters

From the stream, resubbing your old account will enable you to log into both the old and new servers (i.e. single $15 will count as a sub for both servers).

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

Crat is my current project and I've not had so much fun in ages. Especially 1-100 stuff just melts

Peak craft for me was soloing ely hecklers after you can charm horrors. Definitely fun, though I got tired of spamming nuke all the time at 220.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

They're running a screenshot competition to celebrate the 20th anniversary: https://forums.funcom.com/t/anniversary-contest-screenshot-competition/168511

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

I'm still playing this ancient mmo if any of you guys want company, usually US pacific west times. Can help set up your fixers with grid armor.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

So far I've just been auto allocating, and I know there's one nano skill it hasn't been putting points into. I think it's Matter Creation. I also think I have one respec I can spend? I'll start looking at a guide around level 20 since i think that's when you can no longer auto allocate

You don't have to sweat IP allocation too hard early. Main stats to max are Agility, SMG (main weapon skill), body development (ie your hp), evades (close combat + dodge ranged mostly, can skimp a bit on duck explosives), Treatment (for implants), and Computer Literacy (for better NCU).

Nanoskills you don't need to touch until there's a nano you want to actually cast. You can also get a free HUD item to buff your nanoskills after you exit Arete:
https://www.ao-universe.com/guides/classic-ao/tradeskill-guides-6/gadgets-5/ncu-hacker-interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

I had a lot of fun my last time playing, but I was botting, and I think it ruined me from ever playing AO again. Especially given the extremely low population, and realizing that a major portion of the population bots exclusively from 180(or whatever the minimum level for the new Inf missions is) to 220.

By botting do you mean afking while someone else clears missions for you? Yea that's pretty common these days. An ARK named Spacequest also runs an alien invasion event every other Saturday that gives massive EXP, alien exp, and tokens to anyone present in the zone where the aliens invade. Spacequest events + daily missions are how most people level their alts past 200 and finish research lines these days.

If you want the old school experience of active teaming, some players run an "ironman" league every few months (https://www.reddit.com/r/anarchyonline/comments/ym275m/ironman_season_5_starts_today_on_rk5/), where they level + team and raid without outside help.

van fem fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 14, 2023