Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well, I have decided I want to deep dive into an MMO that I haven't played extensively before, and I randomly selected this one. I played a little bit at launch but didn't get very far.

I recognize this is an exercise in insanity. The economy is borked. Despite updates to the new player experience, this game lags far behind any other Premium/Freemium MMO. Beyond that, I understand it is ridiculously complex

Despite this, I am playing an Optifex Fixer named Frostypox. My plan is to play in a chill fashion. I want to level up and do whatever kind of content the game has to offer, but I'm in no rush and have no desire to be power-levelled or anything of the sort. Still, any advice is welcome.

It's my understanding Fixers are mostly crowd control, speed buffs, and blasting poo poo with SMGs. They can also jack into the Matrix which.... I don't know what that does. Anything else I should know about them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FunkyFjord posted:

That jacking into the matrix bit is pretty neato and lets you fast travel/teleport around more than other classes.

You also get pretty good HoTs.

You can also make a good deal of money by running quick missions for other players for specific nano programs, turning the completely broken economy in your favor. This is somewhat doable at a lowerish level. I don't remember the details on this but I remember it being fairly easy to do when I hopped back in to this game several years ago. If you do this you may or may not want the third party program Clicksaver, if it actually still exists.

If you're going with a free account there is a ton of content you won't be able to touch but there's still a fair amount of dicking around in a free mmo available to you, and I think your best weapons will be BlackBirds. Ignore this if you're paying for expansions.

I'm not paying right now, but if I manage to wrap my brain around it and end up liking it, I wouldn't be opposed to paying. Sounds like Fixer's not a bad choice. I wonder if I can find a... what are they, Organizations in this? that won't mind having a dopey newbie who may or may not be interested in doing big boy stuff

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It was pretty late when I started so I'm still in the early parts of the tutorial area. Like I just got the first part to make the fake id

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I might play a little tonight, but if not the definitely this weekend

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So I got to the mission where Stan Goodman wants me to get Antonio's Adaptation Factory for him. I got it, but he keeps saying it's the wrong item. Not sure what to do here

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm dumb and was handing him one of the wrong things

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Unfortunately not a lot of time time today but I'm plodding through the tutorial. I have several Nanoformulae I can't use yet. Should be able to use them in a couple levels. Seems like I've got most of the signature Fixer Nano lines started, the two HoTs, a snare, and a couple of buffs, though no evasion or speed buff yet. Again, I feel like this isn't the BEST tutorial but it's adequate so far. I got a crafting tutorial mission, but it's my understanding that basically only Engineers and Traders can really craft beyond this one mission.

So far it's interesting enough to keep me going. Interested to see how you pick a faction since I remember back in the day you picked it at character creation, but now I think you're Neutral for a while.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 10, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Kalman posted:

One fixer tip: do not put IP into Matter Creation unless and until you have a GA nano in your possession (the summon nanos are completely not worth it.)

Also, be aware that if you ever pay on an account, you can’t turn it back into a free account.

So far I've just been auto allocating, and I know there's one nano skill it hasn't been putting points into. I think it's Matter Creation. I also think I have one respec I can spend? I'll start looking at a guide around level 20 since i think that's when you can no longer auto allocate

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

van fem posted:

You don't have to sweat IP allocation too hard early. Main stats to max are Agility, SMG (main weapon skill), body development (ie your hp), evades (close combat + dodge ranged mostly, can skimp a bit on duck explosives), Treatment (for implants), and Computer Literacy (for better NCU).

Nanoskills you don't need to touch until there's a nano you want to actually cast. You can also get a free HUD item to buff your nanoskills after you exit Arete:
https://www.ao-universe.com/guides/classic-ao/tradeskill-guides-6/gadgets-5/ncu-hacker-interface

Excellent, thanks for the tips!

I went to Newland and grabbed a random mission from a terminal since I guess you have to join a faction to use theirs, it wouldn't let me take missions from the Terminal in Omni-1. I remember low level missions usually being in a random door in the city but this one sent me way out into the desert to a Rhinoman camp, and now that I think of it, when I played I barely left the city for missions since I didn't play very much. Regardless, running around the procedurally generated cave was weirdly nostalgiac. :unsmith:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well this was not the best weekend to start a new MMO, I have been super busy :smith:

I'm wondering if it's smarter to do the procedurally generated missions or grind in the subway? I should probably join a faction first anyway since it seems to be all benefits and few drawbacks whereas neutral has no drawbacks but no benefits.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

The quickest way to get XP as a froob is to do daily missions for the Mission Agencies in Old Athen/Rome Blue. The normal mission handler should give you something you can easily solo, and the senior mission handler should give you a list of things to kill in a dungeon - up til 25, this will be the Subway. If you're on a paid account, you can also get an alien mission.

Details here (AOU is pretty much the be-all-and-end-all of knowledge for this game)

Oh neat, bookmarked that page. Thanks a lot!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Update:

I'm level 12, I just decided to go clan. Got a mission from the clan agency (which is what I've been doing which is also why I decided to go Clan) to draw out and kill a Shy Eremite. Took me a minute to figure out it's invisible and I can target it for the blue dot I have to chase on the map.

When it finally popped out of the ground I nearly had a heart attack. It also killed me really easily. I don't know why, it was same level as me.

Edit: Oh my gun is still QL2 and I'm using patchwork armor from drops, so I bought the Newcomer's armor and upgraded it, that will probably help quite a bit.

EDIT EDIT: Yeah the armor has helped immensely. Takes a long time to kill 'em with this gun, but they can't really hurt me much. Of course the scifi game on the desert planet would have me use a vibration device to drive out and kill sand worms lmao

EDIT 3: As soon as I say that, the second one burrows when it's almost dead, regens to full, and this time when it re-pops, hits me like a truck and kills me :negative: Just bought a better healing stim, I'll finish this tomorrow lol

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 25, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

One more question: I want to make sure I understand Grid Armor.

There's 4 tiers, and the only way to get it is to either buy the Nanocrystal from the player market, or find it as a drop? Is that correct? I guess it's ~level 60 at the lowest level so I shouldn't worry too much about it for now.

EDIT: Oh poo poo it's the crafting mat that drops and I'll have to find a crafter to make the Nanocrystal? Jeez

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 25, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

All right, I won't sweat it and if I get it, I get it.

Mild bummer since in my limited frame of reference, Grid Armor is one of Fixer's Big Things (the rest being go fast, teleport via the matrix (Neuromancer matrix, not The Matrix Matrix), machineguns, hackerman)

My entire time playing I've been thinking about how much I think I would enjoy an updated version of this game. Not, like, go full WoW-clone, of course, but update the graphics, streamline some things, add better in-game documentation, etc

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Kinda dreading having to keep track of implants as well as armor tbh lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

This doesn't tend to be too bad; you don't change implants particularly often.

From an inventory management perspective, have a look for AO Item Assistant+

That's good to know. So far inventory management hasn't been too bad, but I'll keep that in mind.

I'm still playing pretty casually, maybe for a couple hours every couple days, but it's fun. I just hit 19 so I guess after next level I have to manually assign IP which is a bit daunting, but I'll check some guides.

I really love the jazz track that plays sometimes in cities, I still remember it from when I very briefly played like 20 years ago, lmao

The actual open world is... both interesting and very ugly. I've noticed that mob spawns tend to not have much pattern when it comes to levels. I'll find level 20 mobs next to or mixed in with like level 75 mobs, and I even had a terminal mission that sent me out into Agean and the entrance was surrounded by level 75 mobs, though getting in and out wasn't a problem.